Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Got an XSE AWD built for us (haven't taken possession yet). Anyone else see these hideous plastic chrome caps? Tough to pay $45k+ on a vehicle and see these.

The XLE AWD next to it had these:

Still don't love em, but they didn't feel plastic and don't look quite as ridiculous.

Anyone have a solution? Wondering if they make non-plastic, nicer looking covers?

·
Registered
40 Posts
All 17" rims on the 2021 Siennas are non-polished alloys without plastic covers. If you opt for trims with 18-20" rims, you will be "upgraded" to plastic covers which are glued to alloy rims which appear to be painted black (you can look closely at the rim around the lug nuts) on some if not all trims. You could remove the plastic covers and keep the underlying alloy rims as is, pay to have them powder coated to a finish you prefer, or opt for aftermarket rims. Not sure why Toyota did this, but it might change on future model years. The probably wanted to keep costs as low as possible with this new model redesign introduction to compete with Honda and Pacifica.

·
Registered
246 Posts
View attachment 48184

Got an XSE AWD built for us (haven't taken possession yet). Anyone else see these hideous plastic chrome caps? Tough to pay $45k+ on a vehicle and see these.

View attachment 48185

Still don't love em, but they didn't feel plastic and don't look quite as ridiculous.

Anyone have a solution? Wondering if they make non-plastic, nicer looking covers?
I'm pretty sure the XLE and XSE have wheels and not hub caps if that's what you meant by "caps". You'd probably have to swap out those wheels for ones from one of the other trims or find other wheels in the same size and offset.

Edit: I found out I was wrong about the wheels. They do have plastic covers. 😮

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE AWD
82 Posts
View attachment 48184

View attachment 48185

Seriously? Wtf! This isn’t what I would call metallic...

And if they are just covers, why the hell aren’t they black????

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm now that’s an idea. Any idea what that might cost or what kind of place I would get it done at? Never done any kind of after market wheels. But then again nothing I’ve bought new in the past 10 years has been this gross.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Seriously? Wtf! This isn’t what I would call metallic...

View attachment 48186
And if they are just covers, why the hell aren’t they black????
The "Black" plastic covers are reserved for the 20" XSE FWD rims, with a silver finished otherwise identical cover on the Platinum 20" rims. So they saved money by using the same 20" rims just with different covers. Not sure why they switched to a chrome looking cover on the smaller XSE AWD version rather than sticking with the dark theme for the sportier XSE design

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hmm now that’s an idea. Any idea what that might cost or what kind of place I would get it done at? Never done any kind of after market wheels. But then again nothing I’ve bought new in the past 10 years has been this gross.
Dealer told me it would cost about $100 per wheel to remove the plastic covers and refinish the underlying alloy rim with a similar polished black powder coat. You could probably find a wheel shop that would do it cheaper without going through a dealer. That is assuming you like the look of the underlying rims of course.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You can't remove the plastic covers without damaging them (there are how-to videos online) so we won't see the underlying wheels until someone commits to changing them or accidentally damages one I'm afraid

·
Registered
137 Posts
Even worse is when you tap those wheels and hear the hollow sound of cheap plastic.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Plastic covered alloy wheels came on my 04 PT Cruiser. Cheesy for sure but I have to admit, after 260k miles and 17 Wisconsin winters, they still look like new. Alloy wheels on the Toyota, not so great.

·
Registered
67 Posts
nothing can be more ugly than this: a small rotor in a big wheel...there’s a metaphor in there somewhere.

·
Registered
67 Posts
View attachment 48184

nothing can be more ugly than this: a small rotor in a big wheel...there’s a metaphor in there somewhere.

View attachment 48188
To make it worse, use a plastic chrome cover... LOL!!!
For sure I will take the 17inch.

View attachment 48185

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone else mystified by the use of chrome? Toyota seems to still seem to think it looks "fancy", based on their offerings:

I'd take the non-chrome matching door handles any day.

·
Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 🚐
71 Posts
so much is wrong with how the Sienna is heading toward...

to name a few;
..CVT
..Chrome bits
..Wierd Styling updates..
..Confusing and restrictive trims and option packages
..Plastic Wheels Covers?
..Outdated infotainment systems

I just hope it's reliability is still on par at least.

1 - 20 of 298 Posts