Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

241 - 260 of 298 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Looks like underneath the shiny plastic is glossy black. It is same as inside of the rest of the rim that is not covered by the plastic cover. My guess is based on the little damage I put on my rim already :(. Here are are a couple of high resolution pics. You can see the glue too underneath. I have no idea when and where this happened. I just happened to notice it today :(
So what wheels are you going to get?
I’d do pretty much any of the Michelin options. Defender, Latitude, Primacy, Crossclimate...whatever is in stock
The Konigs only go up to 18".
I want to see some more AWD 20".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Lots of how to videos on this subject. I agree that it appears to be a shiny black painted alloy rim underneath. With the damage to your plastic cladding, it won't hurt to try to finish the job to reveal what's underneath!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hahah...

Last thing I tried was to replace a bathroom sink faucet. Seeing someone do it on a 2 minute youtube video made me think I could do it. How hard could it be?

Half-way thru it, I found myself stuck with miss-matched tube size that was also tiny bit short. Forget about putting a new faucet, I couldn't even put back together what I had undone :(. Due to Covid, my wife wouldn't let me bring in a plumber right away. We were down to one bathroom sink. For next 4 months, my wife and kids took every opportunity they got to remind me of my inability to do "Simple-Easy" things. It was my wife who had pushed me to do it because most of our other friends are good with this sort of things. However, it was all still my fault in the end :(.

With my luck, and clumsiness, I am sure I will find a way to make it worse and will somehow end up with a 4800LBs paper weight ;)
Don't doubt yourself... I learned to diy on most of the things so far... from baud car moddings to replacing ugly old looking shower door frames to frame frameless shower window using hand jigsaw to cut. I'm only 5'3" too! Take your time, review twice, thrice, and many more if needed. So most of my DIY usually take 3-4x times to complete, but at least I save myself money and be able to feel handy. I now know how to change out the water heater and putting on a new one too!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hahah...

Last thing I tried was to replace a bathroom sink faucet. Seeing someone do it on a 2 minute youtube video made me think I could do it. How hard could it be?
I consider myself pretty handy and I do almost all my own work on my cars including (successfully) swapping an engine once, but I HATE working on the house and procrastinate greatly on those chores. My wife gives me a hard time about it, too! So, I understand!

-Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
View attachment 48184

Got an XSE AWD built for us (haven't taken possession yet). Anyone else see these hideous plastic chrome caps? Tough to pay $45k+ on a vehicle and see these.

The XLE AWD next to it had these:

View attachment 48185

Still don't love em, but they didn't feel plastic and don't look quite as ridiculous.

Anyone have a solution? Wondering if they make non-plastic, nicer looking covers?
My new LE has option number two. They feel pretty solid tapping on them, don't look cheap at all and blend well with the silver paint color. No chrome color at all. Not sure if there is some sort of protection on them or not. I am not going to try to scratch them, time will take care of that.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My new LE has option number two. They feel pretty solid tapping on them, don't look cheap at all and blend well with the silver paint color. No chrome color at all. Not sure if there is some sort of protection on them or not. I am not going to try to scratch them, time will take care of that.
My XLE looks great too. Thankful that I do not have the plastic problem.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
511 Posts
Don't doubt yourself... I learned to diy on most of the things so far... from baud car moddings to replacing ugly old looking shower door frames to frame frameless shower window using hand jigsaw to cut. I'm only 5'3" too! Take your time, review twice, thrice, and many more if needed. So most of my DIY usually take 3-4x times to complete, but at least I save myself money and be able to feel handy. I now know how to change out the water heater and putting on a new one too!
Good to hear that you have the discipline and patience to get things done. I definitely lack those qualities :(. I am not going for self-pitty, just that "lessons learned" from the past have not been very good. One more example I can give you is that me and my friend once swapped out a factory radio with an aftermarket one in a Mazda Hatchback. This was way back in 2003 when doing it was relatively quick and simple. It was a supposedly one-to-one swap. After we were done, we had about 8 screws left over that we couldn't figure out where they go ;)

Anyways, if I can hairdryer it to make it look a little less broken, I will count it as an achievement 🤣 🤣

I consider myself pretty handy and I do almost all my own work on my cars including (successfully) swapping an engine once, but I HATE working on the house and procrastinate greatly on those chores. My wife gives me a hard time about it, too! So, I understand!

-Mike
May be your wife can put the broken stuff in the car to get you to fix them 🤪🤣🤣.

·
Registered
511 Posts
So what wheels are you going to get?
I will call the the wheel scrap a "Battle Scar" to glorify it and forget about it.

As much as I like seeing nice wheels on it, spending another ~2K will guarantee a severe household disturbance to say the least 🥵🤣. I used up everything I had when I made an executive decision to get what might be considered a very expensive mini-van in our social circle. Our friends' jaws still drop after 4 months when they here it cost me 50K :( . Let's just say that their Daughter-in-laws and Son-In-Laws will spend their money to buy new cars... I rather spend it myself🤣🤣.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I will call the the wheel scrap a "Battle Scar" to glorify it and forget about it.

As much as I like seeing nice wheels on it, spending another ~2K will guarantee a severe household disturbance to say the least 🥵🤣. I used up everything I had when I made an executive decision to get what might be considered a very expensive mini-van in our social circle. Our friends' jaws still drop after 4 months when they here it cost me 50K :( . Let's just say that their Daughter-in-laws and Son-In-Laws will spend their money to buy new cars... I rather spend it myself🤣🤣.
I hear ya but it’s your car and your earned money. Everyone else’s are just opinions.
Everyone took a dump when I bought my Tesla M3 for $80k. My car, my money. Then I bought this van for $50k.
I feel good being able to afford it for myself.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I hear ya but it’s your car and your earned money. Everyone else’s are just opinions.
Everyone took a dump when I bought my Tesla M3 for $80k. My car, my money. Then I bought this van for $50k.
I feel good being able to afford it for myself.
I am with you on this. I don't give a damm about others. However, at home, I am spending Our money ;). Wife got the tough job of staying home and raising two girls :). She will be re-starting the work now that our youngest one is 5 now.

Anyways, back to the topic. I still can't figure out how I damaged it. I see two most likely scenarios.

The first possibility is at the Automated Car Wash. May be the rails that are supposed to keep the car straight caused it.

The 2nd possibility is that may be someone tried to steal them. Some novice would-be-thieves saw "Nice" wheels but realized something is wrong just in time. The reason I say this is that I don't see ANY scratches anywhere around the damaged part. May be they just put a screwdriver or something behind it and pried it just enough to see these aren't worth stealing 🤣 🤣. Pics are in the post below. FWIW, I had scraped two passenger side tires earlier on a curb while parking. However, the tire bulges on the side of the tires had saved the rims from seeing any damage.

Looks like underneath the shiny plastic is glossy black. It is same as inside of the rest of the rim that is not covered by the plastic cover. My guess is based on the little damage I put on my rim already :(. Here are are a couple of high resolution pics. You can see the glue too underneath. I have no idea when and where this happened. I just happened to notice it today :(

View attachment 50264 View attachment 50265

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe someone like others on this forum was just curious what the wheel looks like under the plastic caps and tried to pry it off while you were stuck at Chuck E Cheese :unsure:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Maybe someone like others on this forum was just curious what the wheel looks like under the plastic caps and tried to pry it off while you were stuck at Chuck E Cheese :unsure:

haha.. in that case, I have too many potential suspects :unsure:🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
Registered
887 Posts
Anybody else annoyed about how no one will remove their plastic cladding?
Absolutely not! On a forum it’s easy to spend and risk other people’s money. If someone wants to risk the cost of a new wheel just to see what’s underneath, then by all means I want to see too! But, I’m sure as heck not upset about someone making the decision that the downside of removing the plastic is too much to try it.

-Mike

·
Registered
202 Posts
What could go wrong....besides beating a dead horse.

Maybe someone will peel the paint off their new van to see if there is primer on the metal beneath. Hey, why not.

241 - 260 of 298 Posts