Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
There aren't a whole lot of folks left on this site, with our older vans, unfortunately.

I have 205,000 on my 2002 van, so I have more miles, per year :cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Great guys! I will drive my 06 Sienna to the ground or at least 200k miles. Any main issues you guys have with your vans? I know they are different generations, mainly want to know the issues you experienced to help me keep up with my maintenance.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Photo taken a few minutes ago. 2001 XLE with an upcoming road trip from Washington DC to Denver, CO...and back.

Replaced:
air/fuel sensor (once, 2015)
valve cover gaskets (once, 2014)
rear main seal (once, 2014)
all four struts/shocks (once, 2014)

I REALLY want to buy a new Sienna, but the reliability of this one is fantastic. Never had a sludge issue. It is still on the original engine and transmission with the usual timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and fluid changes last done at 245,xxx miles. I just don't want to make another car payment if I can help it.

Now if I could find a way to upgrade the JBL sound system. Most of the speakers are bad, and I don't want to change out the CD/tape deck. I'm usually listening to Mike & Mike or Bomani Jones so I'm not sure if I want to change it out.

Oh yeah...it is missing a center cap for one of the aluminum wheels. Anyone have one they would be willing to give away?

·
Registered
35 Posts
As of today,my '99 has 338,630 miles. I don't know what the future holds as the transmission is starting to act a bit weird, but for now it's still a daily driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts

Photo taken a few minutes ago. 2001 XLE with an upcoming road trip from Washington DC to Denver, CO...and back.

Replaced:
air/fuel sensor (once, 2015)
valve cover gaskets (once, 2014)
rear main seal (once, 2014)
all four struts/shocks (once, 2014)

I REALLY want to buy a new Sienna, but the reliability of this one is fantastic. Never had a sludge issue. It is still on the original engine and transmission with the usual timing belt, water pump, spark plugs and fluid changes last done at 245,xxx miles. I just don't want to make another car payment if I can help it.

Now if I could find a way to upgrade the JBL sound system. Most of the speakers are bad, and I don't want to change out the CD/tape deck. I'm usually listening to Mike & Mike or Bomani Jones so I'm not sure if I want to change it out.

Oh yeah...it is missing a center cap for one of the aluminum wheels. Anyone have one they would be willing to give away?
from a speaker standpoint, you can order replacement rubber surround and glue from a kit online. That's what we did and it works perfectly.

http://www.simplyspeakers.com/toyota...8m-toyota.html

·
Registered
447 Posts
That's great. I have a 2000 CE with 150k mi and the engine sounds like it will go forever.

Out of interest... what have the repairs been? I'd assume two timing belts w/the waterpump & spark plug package, maybe a radiator, and some tires, batteries and brake pads.

When you did trans fluid changes, did you ever remove the pan and replace the pickup screen or did you just do what they suggested and only remove and replace what fluid you could through the drainplugs?

If it has power sliding doors, power seats and power rear vent windows, did they ever screw up? Did all the door handles (including the tailgate) require replacement?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's great. I have a 2000 CE with 150k mi and the engine sounds like it will go forever.

Out of interest... what have the repairs been? I'd assume two timing belts w/the waterpump & spark plug package, maybe a radiator, and some tires, batteries and brake pads.

When you did trans fluid changes, did you ever remove the pan and replace the pickup screen or did you just do what they suggested and only remove and replace what fluid you could through the drainplugs?

If it has power sliding doors, power seats and power rear vent windows, did they ever screw up? Did all the door handles (including the tailgate) require replacement?

Thanks
For the most part my machine has been dealer-serviced and I have followed the recommended maintenance schedule closely. You are correct, the timing belt has been changed three (3) times now along with the water pump each time. Getting ready to do that again at 372,000 miles. The platinum spark plugs have been changed every 57,000 miles as recommended.

I have just replaced the battery for the 2nd time. Fluid changes all as recommended, and I don't believe they ever replaced the pick-up screen. The tailgate handle needed replacing once. I discovered that packing the van with things pressing against the back door seems to cause that back tailgate handle to break if opened from the outside while under pressure from inside. No power equipment ever stopped working. The sliding door, the rear vent windows, the front door windows have all been A-OK.
I have actually only replaced all the brakes (front and rear) three times - the last time was last year. i have obviously worn out several sets of tires and have winter tires mounted on separate dedicated rims.

I have also had the engine's gaskets and seals all replaced at the timing belt change at 279,000 miles. Also I had all the struts replaced and all suspension bushings replaced at the same time around 310,000 miles. This tightened up and quieted down the suspension amazingly.

Other than that, normal wear and tear replacements like wiper blades etc.

Although I am on the original radiator, I had to have one of the radiator fan motors replaced (I have a Canadian spec XLE which includes the towing package with heavy duty radiator and twin cooling fans). Also, I'm on the second alternator.

And last year the A/C needed work (turned out to be a main refrigerant line which was decayed internally causing a blockage, but the system is pumping fresh cold air again now, just like new.

I geared this van up for long-distance cruising with a load-leveling air-shock system (which acts like a sway bar even when the van is not loaded), a dash mounted GPS, a dash-mounted satellite radio, and rear seat DVD entertainment system with wireless headphones. I also wore through two (2) complete sets of my most favorite tires for this van: Michelin Pilot Exalto in a 225/60 R15 size, mounted on stock XLE rims. They don't make those tires in that size anymore, but they were FANTASTIC, and made the van handle incredibly well, especially fully loaded on long road trips. But even with the van relatively empty, these tires made this van FUN to spin around in in a way no other tire has ever matched. I miss those tires dearly!!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
That's an amazing track record... original radiator - unbelievable. For me I arrived at a Sienna after comparing lots of different sales and people's comments. There were more high mileage Sienna's around than any of the others. Honda seem a close second, but some minivans like Ford Freestars seem to be riddled with transmission failures. The Toyotas do seem to hold up really well. I have yet to see one with a trashed out interior, but I have seen several second generation Siennas with cracked dashes.
Thanks for your info!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree about the Ford Windstar/Freestar. OK engine but the transmission was awful. We had a '99 Windstar and suffered a transmission failure out in the middle of no where. After Ford fixed it we dumped that thing for our 04 Sienna. Now, after 14 years the Sienna is still running strong. The Power Steering pump has started to whine a bit but other than that she's a trooper.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2001 sienna xle has 276,450 still going strong. No major repairs I had the alternator replaced on 2017 & also have had cadilitic? Converter worked on twice, not replaced as it was too expensive, but repaired. I have had the motor to the window on drivers side replaced & my back latch broke the other day & will need repaired as well. I have drove this van from one side us to other & would still be confident in taking it for a long trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Happy 2020...can't believe my 1999 is still chugging along in Kansas - original engine and tranny. 424,560 miles
Older than my youngest child, who's now in college. I know I'm on borrowed time, but as long as this dependable old soul keeps going, I'll keep going with it. Who knows, maybe yet another year...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts