Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a 2017 Sienna last year and are thinking about adding a hitch so that we can hook up our cargo basket for long road trips. We won’t ever tow anything, this would just be for the basket or a bike rack. Any suggestions on what hitch to buy? Should I be worried about ground clearance of both the hitch mount and/or the cargo basket once hooked up?

Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The current most popular hitch by far is the relatively inexpensive Draw-Tite 2" hidden hitch: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/Sienna/2014/76112.html?vehicleid=201450718

There are several recent threads in this towing forum about this hitch that you should be able to find. A nice feature of the Draw-Tite hitch is that it has a bracket for mounting an electrical connection for trailer lights/brakes/charging.

Platform bike racks and cargo boxes/baskets might tend to drag on curbs when entering/exiting driveways, etc. unless they have a "rise" built into their "tongues". I don't have any problem with the 4-bike hanging rack I have dragging the bikes on the pavement since the arms that hold the bikes angle upwards.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!! That hidden hitch looks exactly like what I’m looking for. My cargo basket has a 3” rise, so I’m going to give this a go! The installation videos on etrailers.com are tremendous!

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
Several of us have manged to install it without removing the rear bumper. It means you have to bend some light steel underpan mounting points to do so, but it sure simplifies the installation process.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I installed the Draw Tite 76112 on my 2018 LE yesterday. After watching the install video by Etrailer, I have only a couple of things to add.

It’s been my experience that aftermarket hitches are coated with the cheapest, thinnest paint that will get them to the consumer without rusting. Here in the rust belt hitches I’ve installed have rusted badly in a few years. Before installing mine, I roughed it up with Scotch Brite and painted it with spray Rustoleum. Hopefully this will help.

On the installation, I only undid the rearmost exhaust hanger. That gave enough room to get the hitch in and tighten the bolts.

On bending the tabs instead of removing the bumper cover... yes it’s possible. But be very careful bending them. They are very flimsy and do not seem very solidly mounted. I also found that bending them opened cracks in the body seam sealer around them. So after bending them back into position I sprayed undercoating on the sealer cracks. Probably not necessary but it made me feel better. :)

On removing the stickers over the mounting holes- that are made of pretty tough stuff and stuck on there good. I found it easiest to puncture them with a screwdriver and pull them off with a needle nose pliers.

The only quibble I have with the hitch itself is, the receiver could have been mounted 1/2-3/4” higher. It is almost an inch below the bottom of the bumper. Although SE or XLE bumpers may be different, perhaps that’s why it’s made that way.

Next up, installing the Tekonsha 128648 wiring kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
The only quibble I have with the hitch itself is, the receiver could have been mounted 1/2-3/4” higher. It is almost an inch below the bottom of the bumper. Although SE or XLE bumpers may be different, perhaps that’s why it’s made that way.

Next up, installing the Tekonsha 128648 wiring kit.
The receiver portion of every hitch I've ever installed seems to have been significantly lower than I thought it needed to be. This "feature" is not just with the hidden Draw-Tite hitch for Sienna. If there is a reason for this big gap, I don't know want it is.

I assume you mean that you are installing the Tekonsha 118648 ... or did Tekonsha come out with an updated version? It's easier to install a trailer harness on a Sienna at the same time the hitch is installed since it requires dropping the under body plastic panel in order to route the power wire out of the interior and under the Sienna forward to the engine compartment.

If you didn't get one, there should be a bracket available so you can attach the Tekonsha 4-flat connector to the bracket designed to hold it on the Draw-Tite hitch similar to how the OEM Sienna electrical connector attached to the OEM Sienna trailer hitch.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I finally installed the wiring today. I watched many of the Etrailer YouTube videos and picked the method that looked the best to me.

Several of the videos would have you run the wiring out through the taillight wire access hole, then down behind the bumper to get under the vehicle. I would not recommend this for two reasons. First, there is a gasket on the back of the taillight that forms the water seal between the outside and inside of the van. If you run the wiring through here, you risk a water leak. Also, there is a somewhat sharp edge on the sheet metal around this hole. I think this would eventually wear through the wiring insulation and cause a short or the lights to not work.

I chose the method that puts the converter and pigtail in the jack compartment. I ran the power wire through through a small x I cut in the rubber grommet at the bottom of the compartment and sealed around it with black rtv for good measure.

I will also say the crimp butt connectors that came with the Tekonsha kit were crappy. I ran to Farm & Fleet and got some GB heat shrink connectors, much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts