Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked and looked, and couldn't find a guide for the gen 3 on how to do this, so I thought I'd create it. I did this behind the overhead console, but you could maybe do it between the mirror/windshield. Everything comes apart easier than it goes together, so take your time. This took me about an hour total, with distractions (read: kids).
  1. Remove the overhead console. Pull straight down from the vehicle front. There's a tab in the rear, along with a giant wiring harness and the mic wiring harness. Pop out the giant wiring harness; this harness has very little slack. The entire mic assembly will pull out of the console.
  2. There's 2 screws holding the black plastic frame. The harness we're after is clipped to this, so we need to drop it. Pay attention to how you remove it, as the hardest part of this hole thing for me was getting this piece back in there.
  3. Pull the harness from the wire loom and look for the dark blue and red wires. Red is constant on; dark blue is on with ignition. The dark art of magic pixie wrangling is not my strong suit, so I don't know exactly what the other wires do, so don't ask. I took an educated guess when I clipped these.
  4. Cut the red wire, and connect the mirror-side portion to the dark blue wire. I used a butt connector, because I thought a t-tap was too big for the space. I also taped off the end of the red wire to prevent any fun shorts.
  5. Put everything back, clean up, and enjoy a beer.
Hope this helps somebody.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am missing the purpose of this mod? Would you mind explaining the point behind it. When I’m parked in my garage I always open the door just before I start the car so I am not sure why I would want this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am missing the purpose of this mod? Would you mind explaining the point behind it. When I’m parked in my garage I always open the door just before I start the car so I am not sure why I would want this.
I wondered too... If you always park on the driveway outside the garage like me (because inside my garage is too full!) could it be so that a thief breaking into your car won’t be able to easily get into your garage?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
This mod doesn't address only potential break-ins when parked near your house. There was a rash of burglaries a few years ago where thieves stole vehicles, pressed "Go Home" on the vehicle navigation, went to the vehicle owners home, opened garage doors with HomeLink, entered houses and stole property. When a few of these events occurred in my community I changed "home" in our vehicle navigation systems so that pressing "Go Home" would guide the driver to the front door of a nearby police station instead of to our house.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wondered too... If you always park on the driveway outside the garage like me (because inside my garage is too full!) could it be so that a thief breaking into your car won’t be able to easily get into your garage?
Sometimes I need to park outside, and don't want to give someone easy entry to our garage (if I forget to lock the doors). There seemed to be people asking about this mod for the 3rd gen when I searched for it, but no one had done it.🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
143 Posts
Checkout my DIY dash cam using the Homelink power. At around 6 minutes plus or minus 30 seconds, I go over the wiring for my version of the mirror.

All you do is cut the 12V constant in the the Homelink and tap the wire to the compass ACC power.

Some of the newer cars may have more on this plug than mine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts