Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
384 Posts
Yes, the chrysler vans aren't that bad. Well, the older ones anyway. I had a 2000 chrysler voyager and it was an excellent van. It's still running strong. I gave it to my parents to drive . They needed another car.

· Registered
56 Posts
The best minivan out there is the Sienna, before my Sienna I have a Chrysler Town and Country Limited and it needs a new transmission at over 15,000 miles.

The new transmission was not new it was a rebuilt one, because of that main issue I no longer trust Chrysler cars.

About the Honda Odyssey I don't like the exterior, from some viewing angles it looks ugly. About the interior the dash looks great but who cares if that minivan don't have a second moonroof and the back seats are not as good as the Sienna seats.

The exterior from the Sienna is great I love it.

· Registered
155 Posts
texas911 said:
I think the Sienna and Odyssey are neck and neck. One thing is that the Odyssey was a best pick in the latest more stringent crash test ratings. The Sienna, being a new design, failed to make it.
Lots of debate over this on the Ody forum. There are a number of "questions" about the Honda test that make the conclusions of the testing and the results somewhat suspect. My answer is don't get into an accident and the crash numbers don't matter. ;D

Neither is perfect for sure. I think purely from a statistical sense the Sienna is the winner right now (more/better available features and better numbers in terms of performance), but very few people buy on true numbers, they make an emotional decision and rationalize with the facts they wish and ignore the rest.

For example:

Sienna is quicker, stops sooner and handles better but people don't like the "steering" feel so they say the Honda "handles" better.
Sienna as numerous significant features not available on the Honda

Different strokes for different folks.....

· Registered
108 Posts
Came down to money for me, i have a honda civic, lawnwower, snowblower, and ATV so im kind of a honda guy. Have also had a honda mini bike 3 wheel atv and motorcycle over the years.

The sienna seemed to be the best deal. The base v6 sienna comes with more options then i could get in a honda for the price.

I tested both a few different times and would have been happy with either the honda or toyota van but the toyotas price is what swayed me.

however i could get a chrysler van for a much better price and financing and i didnt even cosider it. my wife used one as a work vehicle for a year and she was very unhappy with it. It was constantly in the shop, was uncomfortable, and a pig on fuel compared to the chev van they had before the chrysler. just one persons opinion of course so feel free to disagree.

Love my sienna so far and more importantly my wife who hated minivans has decided that with our 4 month old the van is perfect. She was less then happy about getting any van.

· Registered
302 Posts
We currently own an '05 Ody EX-L NAV/RES with about 90k miles. On the fence between '11 Ody or '11 Sienna.

On the higher end models the price seems to go to the Ody although I'm not comparing apples/apples as much as I'm comparing what we want. The Ody Touring has everything we want but to get what we want on the Sienna it requires going to the Ltd. So from a price standpoint we'd be perfectly happy with either Ody Touring or Sienna Ltd but the Ody is about $3k cheaper. That being said...wife really wants Blizzard Pearl and Honda doesn't have anything close to that color.

Ody has the cooler box which is nice and a better HD based ent. system. Ody interior is much nicer and better materials, Sienna exterior is far more attractive. Seats in the Ody are more comfy and that may be the deal breaker for me. My last Toyota was sold prematurely and I bought my Pathfinder over the 4Runner because of seat comfort. The Sienna seats don't feel like they sit up high enough and have the same short seat-cushion problem the other vehicles have had (Tundra and 4Runner).

We would also really like to buy the AWD Sienna given our very hilly roads (that rarely get plowed) but I'm not crazy about being stuck with runflats. I've read all the options to change out and it might be ok with the Safety-Connect system since we have about 10 minutes of our drive without cell coverage. Still causes hesitation since it would be far easier to just swap out the spare.

There just never seems to be the perfect vehicle. We wanted the Ody Touring last time but needed 8-passenger seating at the time...so had to go with the EX-L and give up features we wanted. Sucks to spend $40k and still have to compromise.

· Registered
208 Posts
skinny2 said:
We currently own an '05 Ody EX-L NAV/RES with about 90k miles. On the fence between '11 Ody or '11 Sienna.

On the higher end models the price seems to go to the Ody although I'm not comparing apples/apples as much as I'm comparing what we want. The Ody Touring has everything we want but to get what we want on the Sienna it requires going to the Ltd. So from a price standpoint we'd be perfectly happy with either Ody Touring or Sienna Ltd but the Ody is about $3k cheaper. That being said...wife really wants Blizzard Pearl and Honda doesn't have anything close to that color.
Why do you need to get limited?

Sienna XLE premium pkg already give you everything that Odyssey Touring has.

In fact XLE premium pkg get you the 16.2" ultra wide dvd like touring elite. In FWD verison, it comes with 8 seats.

· Registered
302 Posts
Blizzard Pearl only available on Ltd :mad: That's the main sticking point. Like I said...not comparing apples to apples but what we'd have to buy. If Ody had that color option it would be an easier decision.

· Registered
611 Posts
I don't think Safety Connect works where there is no cell coverage, but it's probably more powerful and has a better-positioned antenna than your cell phone.

Sienna Limited is 7 passenger even with FWD.

· Registered
302 Posts
Qest T. Silverclaw said:
I don't think Safety Connect works where there is no cell coverage, but it's probably more powerful and has a better-positioned antenna than your cell phone.

Sienna Limited is 7 passenger even with FWD.
From what I understand the Safety Connect is sat based like on-star. The cellular calling portion is cell based. We're ok with 7 passenger version now and prefer it. Used 8th seat in Ody for the first few years we had two in carseats...but it's been in the garage for the most part since. Nice to have the option to throw it in though.

· Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,760 Posts
Interesting to see an Odyssey page in a Sienna forum. As very satisfied 2002 Ody EX owners, we went shopping for another. Unfortunately, the radical restyling of the '11 was a big turnoff to my wife, so we went to 'Plan B' (ie. Sienna). To be honest, the new Sienna didn't initially thrill her either (OK, so she has some strong 'mommy likes' opinions!), so we began looking at preowned last generation Siennas & Odysseys. We have rented both while on trips, so were pretty familiar with what to expect. Within a week, we located a 2008 Sienna LE with 20,050 miles on the clock, CPO at the right price.

This is our 4th minivan (the first three purchased new), so we are well in tune with our 'likes/dislikes list'. It could just as easily have been a 2008/2009 Odyssey if it weren't for the fixed in place rear quarter windows that she likes to leave open on hot summer days.

We've owned 3 new Toyota's previously, and unfortunately they weren't trouble-free either. Good enough, however, that I was willing to come back to the brand. Overall, I still have great respect for Honda as well. It was a tough choice and could have gone either way.

· Super Moderator
5,760 Posts
I spent a good part of Sunday afternoon detailing the Honda in preparation for selling it. I even started working on a window sign, but 3 days later I'm still driving and enjoying it, in no hurry to hang the For Sale notice up. The Sienna rides smoother and is more quiet & refined, but the Honda still outhandles it and is simply more engaging to drive.

· Registered
302 Posts
We sold our '05 Ody in a day. Price it right and it will be gone very quickly so be prepared! Not sure on the older models since the world knows about the transmission issues, but we put ours right at KBB private party and had a deposit the next day. We're very pleased with the '11 Sienna and it overall drives better IMHO. The handling is not much different although the steering feel takes a little getting used to. The assist at low speed is very high and I would prefer it drop off quicker, but by 45mph it has stiffened nicely and feels very good at highway speeds.

My wife didn't like the previous gen Sienna at all (looks or driving) but so far loves this one. Fit and finish are worlds above our '05 but I will admit the '11 Ody is much improved in that department. I prefer the interior of the '11 Ody but the exterior of the '11 Sienna. Regardless it's a minivan so style wasn't the biggest factor on our list.

I have a few niggling things so far:

1. The audio menu doesn't show the song/artist on the same screen with the presets.
2. Nav doesn't work while driving (I've found the hack for this).
3. Having trouble getting painted mudguards. The Toyota plastic is scaring off the paint guys because of the type of plastic they're made of.

4. Blue tooth doesn't work well, people I'm calling can't hear very well...lots of road noise.

5 Volume knob isn't well placed and you have to hit the steering wheel button is slow to riase/lower volume.
6. Options for all weather mats just isn't the greatest with the ltd seating.

That's about it so far...nothing really bad.

· Registered
2 Posts
As one of you, guys, mentioned, it sucks to pay about 40k and leave the dealership without complete satisfaction. Let's begin from the very beginning - we need a 7 seater.

Flex doesn't carry 4'X8'. Don't want to pay big money and still call friends for bringing stuff from Home Depot. Flex - out.

GC2011 - I like it new. I like the engine, the ride, the excellent Stow'n'Go. Conservative exterior, but we are OK with it. We aren't OK with the traditional price depreciation. GC and the overpriced TC - out. (Didn't mention the reliability record, but this one is controversal)

Nissan Quest 2011. I don't know... The previous brought much more fun with it. The face is just ... light commercial truck. No points of interest inside, except the covered trunk. I mean those lids. Good idea, you know. You can put your stuff in two stores. The rest..... even didn't got the test drive. We didn't find any reason. Must be 3k cheaper than the parallel Sienna in order to be competitive. Quest - out.

Oddy. This one is a legend. The exterior is "broken", but it's acceptable despite the ugly butt. Never liked the interior. You know, it's important to look into something friendly in front of you. So, 2011 did it. Not the state of the art (IMHO), but the best on the market (IMHO). Sharp and clear. Almost bravo. Complete and solid package inside. I am talking as a professional architect here. Why almost? - Honda (and generally Japan) traditionally is bad with the interior colors. Oddy's ride is sharp and "Hondish". Not sure this is the one we want for a minivan, which should be soft and comfortable. And this I am saying as a resident of Manitoba. Honda is just to nervious on our broken roads. I want my baby sleeping well.

And this is exactly what Sienna brings in. We were amazed by the ride and the silence. The electric steering wheel has nothing to do with the "road sensation" (as an opposite to the hydraulic of Honda), but we don't ask for it. We need this ride. The dashboard is just a complex of plastics and gauges.
It is much easier to enter the 3-rd row of Sienna than to this of the Odyssey. It is harder to operate the 2-nd row seats of Sienna in order to enter the 3-rd row. But the real obstacle here is this floor mats issue of the 2-nd row. We are frustrated. And the frustration just stopping us of sighing the deal.
We don't want to compromise anything paying close to 40k. The sales persons smiles look just ridiculous and annoying. Yes, it is very important to keep the interior clean and still functional.

· Super Moderator
5,760 Posts
Three weeks ago we said goodbye to our old faithful 2002 Ody EX. We purchased the van new in Jan, 2002, and ran her for over 9 years and just shy of 140k miles. The vehicle still looked and ran great, and we collected a little under our asking price of $6k in a private sale. Not too shabby, all things considered. Considering that other than routine maintenance the van never cost us a dime, it was an exceptional value to own.

In a way it was good to finally get the old van out of our lives and be totally dependent on the '08 Sienna. The longer it stayed, the more they were subject to comparison. There was a lot to like about the Honda - things Toyota attempted to copy but just didn't seem to do as well. I know that the Sienna will grow on us, and we'll adapt to it, but somehow I just don't seem to fit the drivers seat as well, and the lack of interior storage space for my tools and other stuff still has me scratching my head.

· Registered
48 Posts
just got the 2012 sienna LE because after looking and driving the odessey ex toyota offers 6 more functions than the odessey and toyota was cheaper the extras you get on the sienna verses odessey are back up cam, all back windows have blinds (not just the second row), rear windows open, roof rack, heated mirrors, door sills, and you can adjust the heat/ac on the front dachboard to control the rear heat/ac in the odessey they do not offer any of these extra features UNLESS you buy an EXL and you still dont get the blinds in rear, roof rack, door sills, and you still have to reach behind you on the passengers side (if you can reach that far) to turn down the I know this because my daughter got the odessey exl but didnt relize these things until after owning it Also the odessey have a drive belt and sienna has the drive chain which last much longer

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.