Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My customers was just told by my customers dealer that my customers Odyssey (only 1 and a half years old!) needs a new timing belt as scheduled maintenance. There are 22 thousand miles on it. This is an expensive item. Are they giving my customers a load of BS? My customers don't know a lot about cars, but that seems like a lot for a new car. What would you do?

· Registered
660 Posts
I would have my customer's customer have his dealer look at the customer's odometer to see if only 22 thousand miles is really what the customer has on the belts. Lots of mechanics don't look at the other belt on an Odyssey. If not, then look at a size 42, and see if that still means your customer has a relationship with the dealer. A lot of customers think this is silly, but wait until the end and they will find out! Porcine oil should be looked at if it is squealing, but not changed, just topped off. They are known issue on customers. Good mechanics know this, but won't tell the customer, unless pressed into it by the customers dealer, and then only if forecasted.

· Super Moderator
2015 Sienna Limited Premium
5,760 Posts
I think any automotive 'professional' that even feels the need to post this question isn't much of an automotive professional, and needs to find a new line of work! IMMEDIATELY. For the sake of his customers....

Reactions: lipster

· Registered
660 Posts
I think any automotive 'professional' that even feels the need to post this question isn't much of an automotive professional, and needs to find a new line of work! IMMEDIATELY. For the sake of his customers....
Yes, but if he did that, he would lose his dealer's customers as customers, as well as clients who depend on him to tell them if the dealer is treating them properly as customers.

· Registered
201 Posts
Sounds like unless they can articulate what is wrong with the timing belt, the mechanic is full of something. The Honda recommendation, if I recall correctly, is 105k miles/84 months. It is certainly not a maintenance item at this point. Absent something the mechanic should be able to show the customer, there is no reason the timing belt would need replacement at a year and a half and 22k miles. It would be very unusual for a timing belt to be damaged to the point of being obvious and it still actually be intact.

Perhaps the customer misunderstood and the mechanic is actually referring to the drive belt. My recollection is that it should be inspected at 2 years/30k miles. It shouldn't need replacing either unless there is damage the mechanic can show the customer. It also shouldn't be that much to change.

· Registered
86 Posts
My customers was just told by my customers dealer that my customers Odyssey (only 1 and a half years old!) needs a new timing belt as scheduled maintenance. There are 22 thousand miles on it. This is an expensive item. Are they giving my customers a load of BS? My customers don't know a lot about cars, but that seems like a lot for a new car. What would you do?
On the previous gen, timing belt didn't require replacement until over 100K miles. At 22k miles, it should still be under warranty, and any issues with timing assembly - e.g. noisy pulleys and tensioners or piddling water pumps should likewise be covered.

Timing belt as a scheduled maintenance item at 22K miles is extra-large load of bovine excrement, and IMHO a key 'tell' of dishonesty. No car since a 70's Fiat has need timing belts in the 30K mile range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.