Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XSE+TP AWD
147 Posts
I wonder if there will be a MPG penalty since it is interfering with the original airflow design?
I don't think so. Or at least we are talking about peanuts. With the deflector, you are NOT increasing the drag substantially. Thus, no reason for MPG to go down.

BTW, I used to have a vehicle with a hood deflector. I took it off (I didn't like the look) and MPG stayed the same.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I ordered the AVS version of the Bugflector II since it looks like the OEM and much cheaper. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.
Anyone have a link to the moonroof deflector that they have tried? I would prefer the ones that goes on with the clips instead of 3M tape that I've seen.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here are pics of the hood deflector and side mouldings I had installed.
Hi - I just noticed that the factory has small holes in the front of the deflector going all the way across, in the middle? Cant tell what that is- are they built in bump stops on the deflector?

Rule of thumb here: there must be a space between the hood and this thing to allow the air flow. Otherwise, we are looking for the trouble.

Just saying...
Starche- when you say space between the hood and the deflector- does the AVS version look OK?
What would happen with no gap?

·
Registered
2022 XSE+TP AWD
147 Posts
I wonder if vibration friction will damage the paint and moisture could pool there with little evaporation/drainage causing a rust point potential???
Exactly. As a "bonus" - leaves get stuck there, they get wet and they start to rot. Or in our Canadian winters snow gets there. Metal sunk in the water all the time - bad idea.

Good ventilation in opposite keeps metal dry, thus rust-free.

Just personal observations.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I wonder if vibration friction will damage the paint and moisture could pool there with little evaporation/drainage causing a rust point potential???
The rubber bump stops are held on by adhesive sticker on the actual hood. So any vibration doesn’t rub on the hood and won’t rub off the paint. I read the install instructions and it stated that bump stops should be placed on the actual hood to prevent any paint damage. There’s also a 23mm gap so water will drain properly

·
Registered
61 Posts
I mostly wanted to protect from the rocks/sand/bugs while driving the California highway - I have the OEM on my '04 Sienna and never had any issues with it.

Received my AVS hood deflector and installed yesterday. I think it looks great- They are mounted at six points on the factory holes under the hood with plastic push pins. The gaps from the deflector and hood is pretty big so Im sure there is enough air flow. Also as noted, there are 4 bump stops that was suppose to go on the hood but instead, I mounted them on the top edges of the deflector so you dont see them. I figure if they are going to flex when I go 180mph 😄, the ends may touch the hood but the bump stops will keep it from rubbing. The Center is very stiff even going 180mph😄 on my new black-knight Sienna.

Also, there are 3" openings towards the center on both sides where water would drain- I guess. Will be making a 3 hour trip this weekend so will report if any issues.

Debating now if I want the side window deflectors. That might be too much since we dont see much rain in California. What you think about how it looks on the XSE?

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille

21 - 29 of 29 Posts