Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

Hood prop rod fix for 97-03 Sienna

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  circus 
#1 ·
We recently got a hand-me-down 2003 Sienna for my teenage daughter to drive, and I was surprise to find the hood prop in the trunk. The little plastic piece that holds the prop in place was missing, so I ordered a new one from Toyota.

Turns out the holder tends to fall out. On my van, the hole in the sheet metal where the plastic piece goes is kind of too large to hold it tightly. And I don't think it's just my van, since I've noticed when watching Sienna videos on YouTube that people often use random things to prop the hood up.

I ended up picking up these Moeller eye straps from Autozone for about $12 for a package of four:
Tool Fish hook Font Motor vehicle Metal

After test-fitting where it should go, I set the rod in place with the strap over it and drilled a pilot hole and attached one side with a sheet metal screw I had lying around. I then did the same for the other end. The strap is just the right size to allow the rod to move freely, but not fall out.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Steering wheel

So there's one problem solved! Now if I can just get the button to stop sticking for the sliding door handle...

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.