Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the technology is a solid decade out of date, but there are still plenty of Siennas on the road with RCA jacks, I was wondering what creative ways you have all found to use these old inputs?

I know you can replace the entire concept with iPads, head unit upgrades, aftermarket screens, etc... I'm not asking about any of that.

One relatively simple solution I've read about and seen is mirroring a phone to the RSE. You need a phone-to-HDMI adapter and then an HDMI-to-RCA converter such as the one from ADC: HDMI to RCA Converter Cable – ADC Mobile

I suppose another alternative would be to hook up any household device such as a Blu-Ray player, as long as it has RCA jacks. After all, there is 120V power right there, at least on my van.

Seems to me the perfect device would be some sort of mass storage device with a user interface (because the RSE cannot control play/pause/FF/RW etc on the input device) that you can upload video files onto. Sort of an iPod for video, with RCA output.

What have y'all actually done? And BTW what was Toyota thinking we were going to plug in there when the vans were new?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anton:
I concur: at this point my family owns exactly 1 kids DVD; everything we watch is on Netflix or Disney+. I had looked at whit it would take to buy a chromecast, HDMI to RCA convertor box or cable, plus misc cords, however I soon realized my van didn't come with the remote necesary to switch the display to the A/V input, so that would set me back evern more $$$. At this point I think it will be much cheaper to just buy tablet holders that we can hook up to driver & passenger headrests.

·
Registered
'11 Limited FWD
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine didn't come with a remote either, but that's just an eBay purchase away. And if you don't care about Split View, it's only about $40. We have tablets, too, but the RSE screen isn't going to get lost, stolen, broken, or discharged, and it won't be a projectile in a crash. And it feeds a headphone system built into the car so up to four people can listen without the driver hearing a thing. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts