Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 sienna lease is up this month and I'm thinking of getting the new one.

I hate the pick up on my current one. Its very sluggish. A leasing broker told me, that the new one is even worse. I see that Edmunds mentions that also.

Anyone have experience with it? I am thinking of finally going to the odyssey.

Thank you

·
Registered
11 Posts
We just bought our sienna a couple days ago coming from a 2018 Odyssey. The Sienna actually performs very well for me. When we test drove one it had much more power then I expected.

FWIW Just 30 minutes ago I was on the highway. A taxi was speeding on from the on ramp and I was able to get out the way quickly without feeling any lag. Definitely has much more get up then my Prius.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE Awd Tech Package
62 Posts
My 2018 sienna lease is up this month and I'm thinking of getting the new one.

I hate the pick up on my current one. Its very sluggish. A leasing broker told me, that the new one is even worse. I see that Edmunds mentions that also.

Anyone have experience with it? I am thinking of finally going to the odyssey.

Thank you
Doesn't the 2018 Sienna have more HP than the Honda? The current Sienna is about a second slower than the gen3 so if the gen3 Sienna was sluggish you definitely won't like the gen4. Also the Oddessy is slower than the gen3 so you wouldn't be happy with that either. If acceleration is extremely important for you the Oddessy is better but doesn't compete with some of the SUV options.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't the 2018 Sienna have more HP than the Honda? The current Sienna is about a second slower than the gen3 so if the gen3 Sienna was sluggish you definitely won't like the gen4. Also the Oddessy is slower than the gen3 so you wouldn't be happy with that either. If acceleration is extremely important for you the Oddessy is better but doesn't compete with some of the SUV options.
It's the shifting of the gears. The 2018 goes into high rpm when accelerating from a standstill

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Limited AWD
62 Posts
I never drove the '18 Sienna, but this thing accelerates like a dog. It's a van though, so...

·
Registered
Ordered 2021 Sienna Platinum; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
12 Posts
We test drove one before ordering - the acceleration feels the same as a typical 4-cylinder car. The 2021 is no where near the acceleration of a 6-cylinder anything.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I test drove both the 2019 and 2021. The 2019 had a lot more power than I expected for a minivan. It drove great I thought. The 2021 has good acceleration in Sports mode at lower speeds. Its a bit sluggish at highway speeds but good enough for practical uses. I preferred driving the 2019 model.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its in the slow side but accelerates better than a Prius, works like a Prius, same as a 2009 Honda Pilot v6 so I didn't lose anything. 0-60 7.9 sec.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I test drove everything and the Honda felt like a sports car. Go for the Honda...You can never have it all though. I don't trust Honda reliability. You already tried the Sienna for 3 years. So fool me once shame on you. . .

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE AWD
32 Posts
Fine for everyday use. I have to cross multiple lanes (45 mph traffic) when making a left out of my neighborhood. I have never had any concerns. I think the biggest thing is that it sounds slower than it is. Many people are confusing the high rpm 4 cylinder for slowness, but when you look down at the speedometer you realize the acceleration is fine. Or as the other person said, no problem getting on the freeway or maneuvering around slower traffic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
By default in Eco mode hard acceleration causes the CVT and gas engine to drone and make a big racket, which makes it feel slow since the engine sound is not proportional to your speed (like you were stuck in neutral if you get what I mean), in sports mode it's actually got some oomph and is very responsive. It's a minivan and the big selling point for this gen is the gas mileage, so I'm happy with what it is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
By default in Eco mode hard acceleration causes the CVT and gas engine to drone and make a big racket, which makes it feel slow since the engine sound is not proportional to your speed (like you were stuck in neutral if you get what I mean), in sports mode it's actually got some oomph and is very responsive. It's a minivan and the big selling point for this gen is the gas mileage, so I'm happy with what it is.
It drones and makes a racket on hard acceleration regardless of the drive mode. Eco mode just reduces stark responsiveness to acceleration and this would make the droning go on for a bit longer than normal or sport modes.

As for me, although I’ve yet to load it down with more cargo than the wife and 3 kids under age 9, I have not felt a lack of power compared to the V6 I had in my 2017 Kia Sedona. It’s only the extra droning noise that I’ve noticed. But it’s only on heavy acceleration or climbing hills at higher speeds...overall in normal/typical driving scenarios I would say the driving experience is a little quieter than the Sedona was, and the power or “pickup” is very similar.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Toyota should have used more sound deadening. Like they did in the Highlander. It would mitigate the feeling that the Sienna is struggling based on the drone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just got the 21 Sienna, I feel that it is a pretty quite car. As far as the pickup, it is not a race car by far, but I bought it for comfort and for more room and the fuel economy. You can’t have all the above with a big engine. I feel that it had adequate acceleration, at least for me. It’ll be up to any posted speed limit before you realise it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
We picked ours up last night. We'd test driven it before and been fine with the acceleration but last night driving it home was a longer highway drive -- large interstate with 5 lanes each way. I had no issues merging in, changing lanes, etc. Was very happy with it, seemed comparable to our previous 6-cyl Ody.

As well, the torque of the electric motor acceleration when starting up from a stand-still in city traffic is fantastic, much more responsive than the Ody. All in all I'm very pleased so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We test drove one before ordering - the acceleration feels the same as a typical 4-cylinder car. The 2021 is no where near the acceleration of a 6-cylinder anything.
I just got the 21 and the acceleration is not a race car variety, but I bought mine for the room in it, the comfort and the fuel efficiency, and it delivers on all of these. It’ll be to 80 before you know it. It’s not important to me to have the fast 0 to 60 acceleration.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New kid here. I just got my Sienna a few days ago after having a Pacifica. Motor Trend compared the Sienna with the 2021 Pacifica hybrid and the tested 0-60 times were the same at 7.9 seconds. It also felt comparable to my 2020 Pacifica with the gas engine (287 hp). It might be slightly slower, but not enough to be a problem or even noticeable. At part throttle, it can feel a little sluggish, but if you mat it, the acceleration feels about the same as the Pacifica. That could be some conservative throttle mapping.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's a minivan, stop expecting it to be fast.

If you want an Odyssey, so be it. But now that the Sienna is a hybrid the value proposition of going away from Toyota to a Honda is really difficult.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts