Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this forum, this is actually my first post. I am leaving for a vacation this weekend to the Smoky Mountains, on previous trips I have noticed that while auto-touring in the parks, a lot of people who have mini vans ride with their sliding doors open. The speed through there is only like 10 or 15 mph, and if there aren't people behind us we even drive slower. There will be no small children in the van, the youngest occupant is my 24 year old daughter. So, my question is how can I temporarily disarm the chime? Is there a fuse we can pull? I have a 2000 Sienna with one automatic sliding door that no longer works as it has fallen to the infamous frayed cable that is the bane of many a Sienna owner. That is a $1600 fix. Guess I will continue to open it manually! Thank you, I hope someone can help me out!

·
Super Moderator
4,874 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I'd be very concerned about the toll this could take on the door track system. When a door is latched it is held tight in several places. When it sits open it's a couple of sets of roller bearings resting on stamped steel tracks. That hardware isn't designed to be flexed. I wonder how many people have had door issues after driving that way?

Reactions: Ragdolz

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Fibber2,
Thanks so much for the reply. I really don't know that answer. I talked to an old man up there one year and he told me he had disconnected his alarm and does it every year. It's a really slow drive so I'm guessing there probably not too much stress. I know LOTS of folks do it, I just don't know how. I truly appreciate the reply, and if someone has a suggestion I'd be willing to chance it!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I'm not sure where the chime is on the Sienna. On GM cars it's a small module that you can unplug. I used to hate the alarm chime on Cadillacs so much that I can recall, as I was driving away from purchasing the car, reaching under the dash and pulling the thing out.

Maybe get the chime to sound and see if your ear can lead you to it's location. If you can find a bunch of sensors while it's chiming you might be able to touch them and locate the correct one by feel and then yank it. You could use heater hose as a stethoscope.

I wouldn't be concerned about damaging the door at low speeds, I'd be more on the lookout for the situation where you go over a bump and the door slides forward with way more force than you'd normally use to close it. You could use bungee cords to retain it open if you were concerned about that.

To me, the lack of opening windows in the Sienna was a stupid design decision, they blew the budget on dumb stuff like door chimes and then left out needed stuff like an under hood light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks iRt, that sounds like a good idea. I'm going to try and locate it and see if my daughter's boyfriend can figure it out. He'll be on the trip with us, I'll have to ask him to bring a few tools. I appreciate the suggestion. If we figure it out I'll post back on what we did.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you to those who have contributed to this thread, I went out to the van and tried iRt's suggestion, what I found is I don't have to disarm the chimes! There is no sound when riding with the doors open. My very smart daughter suggested that the chime we hear when the door opens is because we still have seat belts on... Duh. Um, I'm only slightly embarrassed. Thanks anyway!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Lol, very funny.

You must not have a power door, because on my 2002, if I drive with the door open, I hear a nasty beeping, reminding me to close the door.

Safe travels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would love to know the answer. Our sliders get water in them then freeze; we go out, try to open and they’re frozen almost shut. Almost being the key word: they’re open just enough to beep.
and our door fell victim to the cable issue too. I sure wish they’d fix this flaw for free; $1600 is just too much

1 - 8 of 8 Posts