Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a hitch receiver installed for a bike rack, but dont know if it is worth the extra cost of the trailer lighting. I don't plan to tow, but if I needed to pull a uhaul trailer or something, having the lighting harness ready to go would be nice. Seems that to tow 3500lbs the engine oil cooler is necessary? Otherwise 1750 tow limit?

2019 XLE

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
The tow prep package which includes an engine oil cooler is standard on the 2019 Sienna.

The trailer light harness isn't all that expensive - around $50 for a "4-flat" which is all that's needed to tow a uhaul trailer.

It can be easier to install a trailer light harness at the same time as the hitch since both usually require dropping the plastic panel under the rear of the Sienna. Both hitches and trailer light harnesses harnesses are pretty easy to install on a Sienna. I did it myself in a few hours without any help and I could have done it a lot quicker if it wasn't a lazy Saturday.

There's a towing subforum here that has lots of relevant threads of hitches and harnesses. The current most popular hitch is a mostly hidden one from Draw-Tite.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The tow prep package which includes an engine oil cooler is standard on the 2019 Sienna.

The trailer light harness isn't all that expensive - around $50 for a "4-flat" which is all that's needed to tow a uhaul trailer.

It can be easier to install a trailer light harness at the same time as the hitch since both usually require dropping the plastic panel under the rear of the Sienna. Both hitches and trailer light harnesses harnesses are pretty easy to install on a Sienna. I did it myself in a few hours without any help and I could have done it a lot quicker if it wasn't a lazy Saturday.

There's a towing subforum here that has lots of relevant threads of hitches and harnesses. The current most popular hitch is a mostly hidden one from Draw-Tite.

What is your source for the statement "tow prep package...is standard on the 2019 Sienna"? I cannot find info to confirm this anywhere?

·
Registered
3,725 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Is there anything that shows on the Toyota VIN lookup that shows tow prep package on older gen 3?
Or can it only be determined by looking for the oil cooler in person?
The tow prep package shows on the VIN lookup only when it is an extra cost option. For example, it was standard on my 2014 Limited and is not listed on the VIN lookup. I'd have to pull the window sticker from a file to look but I don't think it is shown on it either.

Edit: I thought I would mention that, just for fun, a once got a big bunch of 2011-2012 Sienna VIN's from eBay Motors and other sources and then did the VIN lookup on all of them. I was surprised to find that very few of the ones I looked up had the optional tow prep package.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Any idea if it’s standard on 2015 Limited Premium AWD?
The tow prep package wasn't available on the 2015 Limited Premium AWD. 2015 was the model year that the confusion really started due to the sales brochure not making it clear. The 2016 Sienna sales brochure was revised to indicate that the LE AWD was the only AWD Sienna that had the tow prep package. So ... the LE AWD was the only AWD Sienna that came with the tow prep package from 2015 to 2017.

The sales brochures for all model years are at Auto-Brochures.com|Toyota Car PDF Sales Brochure/Catalog/Flyer/Info 4Runner 86 Avalon Camry Celica, CH-R, Corolla Corona Echo FJ Cruiser Highlander Land Cruiser Mark II Matrix Mirai MR2 Prius RAV4 Sequoia Sienna Solara Supra Tacoma Tundra Venza Yaris

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts