Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who don't have the auto-folding mirrors, how do you check to see if your Sienna is locked?

We have an ongoing issue with one driver in our household. This person thinks the vehicle is locked (I pressed lock on my key fob right next to the Sienna) but then when I go check later, it's unlocked.

To me this means either (1) the person is incorrect and didn't actually press the button, (2) the vehicle didn't actually register lock being pressed (could be an issue of range but in this case it happened right next to the vehicle), or (3) somehow the vehicle is getting unlocked after the lock button on the fob has been pressed.

In the good old days before smart keys, you could pull the handle to confirm that it was locked. Is there a similar check for the Sienna?

(This driver says that listening for the beep doesn't work - not loud enough. Similarly, watching for the lights to flash isn't a good solution.)

Is this something the app could help with? Does it alert you if you left your Sienna unlocked?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Try opening your rear doors after tapping to lock to verify it's locked. The only way to open your rear door when the car is LOCKED is :
1) with the smartkey nearby and to press the button on the handle
2) to use the kick sensor (if equipped)

If the car is UNLOCKED - you have 3 options:
1) the above 2 options
2) pulling the rear door handle

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
728 Posts
We have an ongoing issue with one driver in our household. This person thinks the vehicle is locked (I pressed lock on my key fob right next to the Sienna) but then when I go check later, it's unlocked.
Is replacing this person an option ;) (Joke ;) )

Is this something the app could help with? Does it alert you if you left your Sienna unlocked?
I get an App alert after a few mins if any of the doors are unlocked and/or if the windows are not rolled up all the way. This includes Moonroof. I don't know if this is trim specific or not. We have a Plat.

Refreshing status in App takes a few seconds, but it will show you the latest status of all windows and doors.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
445 Posts
You can set the lock volume tone to be louder.

The app will also tell you.

If you have a smart key:

- occam's razor requires me to ask, does the driver understand how smartkey works? When you approach with smartkey in range and attempt to open the door, it will simultaneously unlock and open as you touch the handle and pull. If diver doesn't have this understanding, it would appear as though the van was never locked.

- You can also pull the door handle immediately after you press the lock on the remote, there is a delay of a few seconds before you can unlock it by touch if smart key is close by. During this delay a pull of the hand will confirm lock.

- You can press the divot on the door handle with the smart key close by. You can hear with yours ears and and feel with your finger the locks engage.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE
323 Posts
When locking using the smart key divot on the handle, you have about 2 seconds to pull the handle to confirm it locked (same as when pressing the lock on the fob).

If you have lock/unlock capability from the app, you can lock the doors using the app. The app will then tell you the the doors are locked or it will say they are already locked. This assumes that you have notifications turned on for the app. As mentioned above, the app also notifies you if the car is left unlocked after it is shut off. This happens within a few minutes of leaving the car. It usually says "multiple alerts" because there is an alert for each of the 5 doors that are unlocked.

You can also open the app and pull down to refresh. There will be a red circle with a number in it over the image of the vehicle indicating the number of alerts if the doors are unlocked. The number is usually 5 (one for each door). It could be more if windows or the moonroof are open.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is all very helpful, thanks! And replacing the person is not a good option at this point, but appreciate the creative thinking!

I admit I never actually set up the app. Is it the "Toyota" app or "Entune" or something else? I see both in the iOS app store.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
- occam's razor requires me to ask, does the driver understand how smartkey works? When you approach with smartkey in range and attempt to open the door, it will simultaneously unlock and open as you touch the handle and pull. If diver doesn't have this understanding, it would appear as though the van was never locked.
Good point but it basically goes like this:

1. lovely other person drives the sienna and parks it
2. sometime later when I'm near the Sienna I check the handles (without the key nearby) and the Sienna is unlocked
3. I ask the person about it
4. person utters some colorful language and swears that the lock button on the key fob was pressed more than once (and done near the vehicle) and says it isn't necessary to lock a vehicle anyway, what is the worst that could happen, etc.
5. repeat a few days later

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
445 Posts
This is all very helpful, thanks! And replacing the person is not a good option at this point, but appreciate the creative thinking!

I admit I never actually set up the app. Is it the "Toyota" app or "Entune" or something else? I see both in the iOS app store.
Toyota app. It will walk you through the setup to get everything connected up.

Point noted re: sequence of events. I misunderstood initial post and thought key was present during all of this. Point remains though that after pressing lock button on remote or divot, you have a short window of a few seconds to give the handle a yank and make sure it's locked.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
728 Posts
Another possibility, and it is a bit scary, is that this person forgets to turn off the car. In such case, you can't lock with the fob. It beeps back at you saying something is wrong, but that is it. It will than auto-turn off after an hour.

I have auto folding mirror so that is my que or it. I have done this may be a dozen times since January.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts