Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do they break down? and what are the general problems that you might have with it? general maintenance? which mini van would be the all around better choice?

Raw Burn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Both Sienna and Odyssey are good vans. They are like two faces of the coin. Go through each websites carefully, compare and configure as to which model you need and then head out for test drive. I loved Sienna SE's test drive better than Odyssey. XLE's steering was way too soft and Odyssey's pick up was slower than that of Sienna SE. As far as the looks are concerned, Sienna ousts Odyssey by miles. When it comes to Interior, Odyssey somehow truimphs, but then Sienna SE's interior looks are the best !! Odyssey is almost $2000 costlier than Sienna and gives a slightly better mileage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
One problem of the Odyssey is, that Honda does not offer a transmission cooler as factory option. It comes standard on the Sienna as part of the trailer tow package. But you have to have it dealer installed on the Honda.

·
Registered
80 Posts
To add to my previous post: At a recent car show here in Dallas I "test sat" 3 different minivans: Sienna, Odyssey and Chrysler.
I am 6'4" and the Odyssey had the shortest leg room. I could not sit comfortable in this van. The Chrysler was on second place. Just for this reason I would not buy a Honda. But this is just me and because how tall I am.
But in general none of the vans had a really comfortable seating position for me. I actually may go back to an SUV. The new Hyundai Santa Fe as well as the Nissan Pathfinder have amazing leg and head room for a tall adult like me....

·
Registered
11 Posts
We test drove an odysee exl Is was like getting into a nice early 90's minivan both in look Drivability and feel. and about 4 k more for similar features.

·
Banned
184 Posts
Not to mention, the Odyssey having a billion buttons...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't speak about the newest Odyssey, but I actually like the way the 3rd-gen (2005-2010) Ody drove more than my 2013 XLE AWD. It's extremely soft, where the Ody had a sportier feel. However, the Sienna does have more acceleration and looks better, and of course, is more reliable, which sold me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2007 Ody EXL and it has been great, no complaints, just had its 100,000 service, all I have done previous is change the oil, NOTHING else, I think it drives like a sportscar (for a van) but have always seen the Sienna SE and think it looks sexy (for a van), the 2015 with the black interior looks just great, of course Honda doesn't offer a sport edition or black inside, I may have to take a Sienna for a drive, wondering how it sitting an inch lower and having 19 inch wheels will make it handle, I won't consider anything but an SE.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I forgot something about the Ody from the above post. The major issue I see with the Ody and Honda in general is the brake rotors they sell are garbage, I finally found an aftermarket drilled rotor and it has cured the dreaded warping/shuddering brake pedal, other than the lousy rotors the car has been rock solid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No AWD on the Honda - not even in the game as far as my family is concerned.
You know WINTER tires on a FWD car work great. I like the idea of AWD, but I've lived in MN for almost 6 years, and will say winter tires on a FWD Odyssey and our Sienna will probably out stop and out accelerate your AWD Sienna. Just saying.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We have both a 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring and a 2008 Sienna AWD ( ditch the run-flat tires they are expensive and wear very out quickly. ) XLE, why both you may ask because when we went to buy the new van they simply were not giving as enough for the Toyota it has 112665 on the odometer but anally maintained. Why did we buy a Honda instead of a Toyota? We simply got a better deal both on price and financing that Toyota Motor Credit refused to match. Both van are awesome and both are not cheap to maintain because if you are not mechanically inclined you will pay someone else to fix it for you lucky for us I love saving money and do it myself. They are both equally reliable. But if can only say one thing to you that would be to keep it simple. As far as extended warranties are concerned the word is "Haggle" get the most bang for your buck. Maintenance plans are great as far as simple oil changes go, but haggle for price on it to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2007 Ody EXL and it has been great, no complaints, just had its 100,000 service, all I have done previous is change the oil, NOTHING else, I think it drives like a sportscar (for a van) but have always seen the Sienna SE and think it looks sexy (for a van), the 2015 with the black interior looks just great, of course Honda doesn't offer a sport edition or black inside, I may have to take a Sienna for a drive, wondering how it sitting an inch lower and having 19 inch wheels will make it handle, I won't consider anything but an SE.
You lucked out. I just traded my 2007 Odyssey for a 2015 Sienna XLE. The Odyssey only had 63,000 miles on the odometer. After 4 factory recalls, I continued to have numerous problems with the van to the point I could no longer trust it. I had window tracks replaced, defective rollers on both sliding door replaced, control rods replaced, power mirror mechanism replaced, tranny reprogram, exhaust system shields rotting off, etc. The white factory paint job started peeling resulting in a total stripping and repainting of the roof, hood and front fenders. (Honda initially refused to do this at no charge but the dealer interceded on my behalf. Thank God I had purchased an extended warranty on that lemon as the retail value of the repairs would have exceeded $3,000.00.

I will miss the ride and superb handling. You're right,,,I always felt it drive like a sports car. I loved to drive it but I won't miss its reliability.

I found a magazine article recently titled "When a great name brand doesn't mean great reliability" or something to that effect. The 2007 Odyssey was the poster child in that article!

PS. I am averaging 25 mpg with the Sienna. The best mileage I ever got with the Odyssey, regardless of how aggressively I drove it was 20.5 mpg.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Being blessed with the gift of sight, the Honda fell off the list quickly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Like a few others here i own both a honda odyssey and a sienna, the Honda has been incredibly unreliable...even with strict following of the dealer/manufacturer recommendations...The toyota..no issues besides the usual routine things. the sienna we have is an LE, Odyssey is a touring. Sienna gets better mileage..and has cost us less in the long run. The Honda has had problem after problem thankfully it had an extended warranty, otherwise we couldnt have afforded the transmission replacement....the odyssey was bought used, from family... our sienna bought brand new. both have highway miles on them from being driven to and from CA to Utah (we have family there)...to say the least, we are happy with them, but prefer the toyota and wont buy a honda again. (as i type this, honda has had our van for almost a week and cant seem to figure out whats wrong with it...)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just traded in a 2006 Touring for a 2015 XLE Premium. We didn't even test drive the new Ody because of the issues with VCM. They settled a class action lawsuit in 2013 related to VCM and as far as I know, they have not made any substantial changes to VCM in the wake of the settlement.

The Ody has some great features and drives great, but ours didn't hold up well over the years. We changed to Toyota because we expect to have fewer drivetrain issues and we hope the Sienna holds up better over time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I owned a 2001 Odyssey (Stanley Kubrick reference here) ... oh and my son's nickname is "Hal"...
I bought it used at 130,000 miles. The big shocker was that my transmission failed on me within 10,000 miles. I learned that these Odysseys were particularly prone to transmission failures. I had it replaced with an aftermarket rebuilt unit that incorporated an external transmission fluid cooler (a tiny radiator that strapped in front of the regular radiator). I drove it to about 190,000 miles when I was rear-ended by a truck (I was stopped, the driver behind me was most likely texting and not paying attention to the fact traffic had stopped).

The insurance company gave me a fair market replacement value and along with some out of pocket money, I purchased a used 2004 Sienna XLE. Silver, beige leather interior. So far, I like it quite a bit. I owned an older 1992 Lexus LS400 a few years back and the interior of the XLE has some very Lexus-y look and feel proportions, buttons, knobs, and functionality. The door handles and locks for instance are identical.

Despite the expensive transmission failure of the Odyssey, I enjoyed the car. It felt light for a minivan and drove really well - meaning that steering and corners were stable with very little cabin roll. Engine power delivered good acceleration and uphill climbing power. The downsides to the 2nd Gen Ody: Cabin noise was a lot louder than the Sienna. I think the Sienna was designed with a LOT more sound-deadening than Honda. My wife and I can whisper to each other in the Sienna. We would have to speak a little loudly in the Honda. Even the AC is quieter in the Sienna. Honda's fan was much louder - but on the other hand, it was very easy to get to (I had to replace it once).

As a younger driver, I owned a 95 Civic and the Ody had Civic-like instrument layout and interior design. It all felt very lightweight but a little cheap even on the EX version.
The Ody's 3rd row seat was one piece and it made stowing it a little heavier than the Sienna's 60/40 split design.

For comfort, the Sienna is definitely superior. The seats feel softer and wider. The middle row seats have windows that roll down (2nd Gen ody had fixed windows) which is something my kindergartener appreciates on nice days.

Sound system - the JBL system in the Sienna has more speakers (but mine has some blown speakers I think because it gets distorted in the back).

My gripes about my Sienna are few and to be fair, they were defects I knew about before purchasing it. The power sliding door on my driver side is inoperative. Something about the $700 part makes me think it might stay that way. The interior DVD player is inoperative - which is fine because the unit has a tiny 7" screen and I may just take the whole thing out and get an aftermarket unit.

The rear hatch is kind of a love/hate thing for me. I appreciate that it is powered - when I'm carrying groceries, I can open it from the remote without putting my bags down. However, when I want to close it, I want to be able to just close it manually in 2 seconds rather than listen to the annoying beep beep and wait. Sometimes, I have to be up at 6am to pack and leave the house and I know that beep is loud on a very quiet early morning. I hate disturbing the neighbors with it and I have no way (that I know of) to silence that thing.

I also think the Sienna has better fuel economy than my Odyssey. I got about 18-19mpg on my ody in mixed driving. I feel like I can get 20-21 on the Sienna.

I love my Sienna. I have no such thing as brand loyalty - I thought the Honda was pretty good but I think this Toyota is better. I feel more secure in its transmission holding up. I really enjoy the comfort and quiet ride. I was worried that by getting the 3.3L, I'd miss out on a better 3.5L powerplant but to be honest, I've found all the power I needed to quickly get my fully-loaded van up to freeway speed on a short merging on-ramp, so to me, that's all the acceleration I need. My 1/4 mile dragster days are behind me anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drove the 2019 Odyssey Elite and would have purchased one if it was a Toyota Hybrid, didn’t force me to get that drop down tv, my kids have tablets, if it had the birds eye view camera, and if it had the panoramic roof of my 2018 Highlander limited Hybrid Platinum package ..... that elite trim level is amazingly loaded with wonderful goodies..... I’ve owned two Odyssey’s from new and each made it effortlessly to 200k miles, one, I know for sure is still going strong as we have it to a lady in our church..... the all LED headlights are wonderful.... HondaVac, love it.... 2nd row seats, perfect design Toyota should just copy it, adding better leather.... 10 speed tranny soo. Smooth

·
Registered
33 Posts
Have owned 2 Odyssey's, both from new, both with OEM tranny coolers from day 1. Zero issues with the 2006 Touring other than the Michelin Pax tires were junk - lasted 20k miles, no one could replacement, depaxed the van and everything was wonderful. Zero electrical issues. Zero engine or tranny. Traded it at almost 200k miles.

Second one was a 2001 EXL trim. I did have the transmission replaced under warranty at 90k miles or so and blew that one towing probably 8,000 - 10,000 pounds of stuff in a trailer back and forth to our lake home. On the 21rst trip of 250 miles, the tranny blew and we had to have it towed. This was all my fault, of course, as it was rated at 3,500 only. Paid for a new tranny and as of today, we gave it to a member of our church who is still driving it daily with just over 200k miles.

Now, the new Odyssey - I drove and got a quote for a fully loaded 2019 Elite. But, as I've been reading the posts on edmonds.com and a couple other consumer advocacy websites, and I'm shocked how many horror stories I'm reading about the 2017, 18, and 19 Odyssey. Air conditioner appears to be a huge issue in states with any sort of hot summer, some comments about tranny issues on the 10 speed, and electronic bugs that sound like this thing was made by Land Rover. What is happening to Honda or is Toyota just doing a great job of hiring folks to post these nightmarish comments? If the Sienna isn't redesigned for 2020, fixing that passenger collision rating issue and matching the Odyssey Elite's looooong list of features at the least, I'm torn on what to do for my family.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts