Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here so please hold back the beatdowns, or at least point me to an existing resource. I just picked up a 2015 Sienna with 45k mi. It's great. I noticed that the coolant wasn't the perfect Toyota red color, it was kind of an oxidized-looking color. I've done coolant drain/refills before. Is there anything special I need to do? Can the aftermarket "mixes with anything" green stuff, or for that matter, new Toyota fluid mix well if there is a little Toyota coolant left in the system?

I have techstream that I use for my old Lexus already, so I can definitely utilize that here.

Thanks everybody for the eventual beatdown and helpful links/advice :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
A coolant change is fairly easy to do. There is drain on the bottom of the radiator but there are also a couple of drains on the block. The 1st drain on the block is probably impossible to get to, it lives somewhere around the AC compressor area, the 2nd drain on the "rear" side of the block, above the passenger side cv shaft. It is fairly easy to access with the front of the vehicle sitting on jack stands. No need to remove the drain plugs, just loosen them and the coolant will slowly drain out, it takes a while. When refilling there is an air purge "valve" on top of the engine near the lower intake manifold. I would not risk mixing coolants unless you know that they are specifically compatible with each other. Mixing the wrong coolants together can make a real mess of your cooling system. No need to use the techstream. I will post some pictures of where the drains and purge live when I get to my main computer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad. I'll probably just stick with the Toyota coolant in that case. The air purge was probably the one thing I was most concerned about so that's good news.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Note that the specified coolant is the "Super Long Life Coolant," not the older Toyota Red. The newer version is much less red--I'd call it pinkish--compared to the cherry red of the older version.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TBH I am not sure which one - pink or red - came in my 2015, and looking at it I can't say for sure. Any idea? Let me guess, you shouldn't mix them either? Just trying to figure out if this is a lazy drain and fill, or an "evacuate every last drop" kind of thing. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
TBH I am not sure which one - pink or red - came in my 2015, and looking at it I can't say for sure. Any idea? Let me guess, you shouldn't mix them either? Just trying to figure out if this is a lazy drain and fill, or an "evacuate every last drop" kind of thing. Thanks guys.
I have a MY2011 and it has the pink coolant in it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I changed our coolant on our new to us, 2014 limited awd. I just opened up the drain at the bottom of the radiator, I never bother with trying to drain the block. I would not mix coolants, use the pink toyota stuff or something like the Zerex Asian formula (Toyota/Lexus specific one), Walmart sells it for cheap.

The only issue I had was getting the air out of the system. I let it idle for like 20 minutes, drove it around for another 10 but there was still air in the system (no heat in the cabin). Eventually I just revved up the engine a bit for a minute or two and the air finally came out. We have two other vehicles with the 2GR-FE and I never had any issues with the air bleeding out.

I did not know that there was an air purge valve, anyone got a picture of where it is located?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took a look in the overflow tank and it did seem pink. I recall in my '01 Lexus it was a notably darker red color. So yeah, it's probably the super long life. Thanks for the Zerex idea, I'll check the prices. Do you recall how many liters of the stuff you needed?

Also yeah, I'm curious about the air bleed location too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
here is a picture of the air bleeder and a picture of the drain at the rear circled in red, you only need to loosen the brass colored fittings to get the job done.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here are some images from when I did it myself, I used some tubing to direct the coolant from the drains into my clean container because I was reusing the drained coolant. You do need to pull up the plastic engine cover and set it aside to get to the air bleeder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's actually not too bad. What was the general process for bleeding? Fill it up with the heater open/running, engine on, and open the bleed while filling the radiator until only coolant came out and not air? That's my guess anyway. Sure enough the owners manual says 11 quarts capacity, so I guess I'm buying three bottles of the Zerex stuff. Amazon has it for $16/ea. I just called the local Toyota parts desk and one gallon of the SLLC is $29. No thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use one of these and had good luck filling and burping the air out... Its clear so you monitor the fill rate. OEMTOOLS 87009 No-Spill Coolant Filling Plastic Funnel Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A2CQSU6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ukb6DbMN4K1CD
I used the same style radiator funnel that you are talking about, it still had a massive air bubble in it somehow.

Now that we know where the air valve is, that should help the OP when he does his. Again, I've changed the coolant on two other 2GR-FE engines and never had any issues until I did it on our Sienna.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get this stuff from walmart..$12.48. Its cheap and I bet its same.

Valvoline Zerex Asian RED Vehicle Antifreeze / Coolant - 1 Gallon

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
That is the coolant I've been using. Valvoline owns Zerex, it's the same stuff. They call it "RED" but the coolant is actually pink.

I also remember reading on bob is the oil guy that Zerex is Toyota SLLC coolant, its the exact same stuff. A company named Ashland is contracted to provide it to Toyota.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Get this stuff from walmart..$12.48. Its cheap and I bet its same.
I'm pretty sure it is the same. Due to my life circumstances I'll gladly pay a couple bucks more to have Amazon drop the stuff on my doorstep :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts