Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We tried on a test drive (XLE) and it didn't seem like the tech aids helped much. It was just like parallel parking an older vehicle (which is fine but I thought a 2021 with the latest tech would be easier).

For example:
The F/R parking sensors came on too soon - do they have different settings or sounds to help you judge real distance?
The mirror didn't allow you to see the curb (do the fold-down mirrors in the Limited/Platinum help)?
The lines in the backup camera don't "turn" with the wheel unlike other cars so it's not nearly as helpful.

I'm curious how others find it?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ours is a Limited so I can't speak to which features are present on which model but I can say the following:
  • The yellow lines on the rear view camera do inflect as you turn, I believe this is configurable so it might have been set differently in the van you drove
  • The parking sensors do change both visually and acoustically as you get closer to the object in question
  • The tilt-down mirrors do help, I posted elsewhere about my surprise in discovering that they only tilt down when the rear view mirror adjustment knob is set to left or right
All in all I probably find it marginally easier to parallel park than our '05 Odyssey.

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
The "Birds Eye View(BEV)" in the Platinum is very helpful in parallel parking, or tight parking spots. I haven't used the automatic fold-down mirrors since BEV shows you what you want to. The projected path lines also turn with the steering. BEV has an option to see individual quarter sides (Front/Rear Driver/Passenger) too if any of the wheels are getting too close.

(The camera and/or screen quality could be better though. Concrete Curbs with light gray colors with concrete sides floors of the same color are sometimes hard to tell apart. The screen appears to get over-exposed under certain conditions too).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its very helpful. I have an XLE+. Although the parking camera is a bit grainy and without trajectory, when combined with the rear and front parking sensors, it works great. The sensor detects how close you are to an obstacle, and when you are too close, BRAKE prompts. I find this very helpful as I live in an apartment with tandem parking and I always back it up until the BRAKE lights up. Still gives me about 3 inches of space. I don't mind the side mirrors not automatically looking down as with our 2019 Pilot, only 1 side mirror is in sync with the steering wheel, so both side mirrors don't actually move in syncrony.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After coming off of a 2017 Rogue with the turning lines and birds eye view, now with a 2016 Sienna XLE, I am shocked the 2021 still doesn’t have these features as standard. I really miss them

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ours is a Limited so I can't speak to which features are present on which model but I can say the following:
  • The yellow lines on the rear view camera do inflect as you turn, I believe this is configurable so it might have been set differently in the van you drove
  • The parking sensors do change both visually and acoustically as you get closer to the object in question
  • The tilt-down mirrors do help, I posted elsewhere about my surprise in discovering that they only tilt down when the rear view mirror adjustment knob is set to left or right
All in all I probably find it marginally easier to parallel park than our '05 Odyssey.
That tip about the tilt-down mirror function was quite the find. I would have never thought that the position of the mirror control would matter, but it does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What's the big deal. I learned to park at 14 years old. No side mirrors back then. At least not on the 1941 Plymouth I was driving. 70 years later, I still don't need any added equipment to park. In my opinion if you can't park without all these new gadgets, you might want to hire a chauffer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts