Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you leave the 2018 Sienna xle on and walk away, how long will the van stay on. Ford stops after 20 minutes when Fob is out of range. Tried but did not get a answer from Toyota customer Service.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ok. So just letting it idle with no input. Interesting. I have a Lexus buddy that may know that info. Unless anyone else wants to see and leave a vehicle running an test this.

:unsure:

·
Registered
529 Posts
The vehicle 'BEEPS' if you walk away with the 'smartkey' from it while running.

Any vehicle can be life threatening while left running in a garage. It is best to turn you vehicle off after driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even though it beeps, noise in the area, or other distractions can result in you leaving with the car on. This is not that unusual for those coming from a key system. Several deaths have been reported already, so it is a real safety issue. Of course a vehicle should be shut off, but some time they are not.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I wish you good luck. I am all about safety. Is this different from turning other stuff off? I turn my stove off after using it. I turn my BBQ off after using it. A vehicle should be no different. Turn it off.

And your point is?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No one intentionally leaves the car running, but it happens. The question remains, how long will it run. Does Toyota have a timed cutoff like other manufacturers?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Your question has been answered.

Part 1 of your question - It will run until it runs out of gas
Part 2 of your question - no the Sienna doesn't automatically shut off.

Timed shutoff is a relatively new feature on vehicles. If customers desire it the automotive manufacturers will move toward adoption of it.

In certain situations it seems this could be a desirable safety device. Cars have been around for over 100 years without this item, It may take a while for all manufactures to adopt.

Suggestion - If it worries you why not install a CO detector in the garage use the auxiliary contacts in the device to wire a siren in the garage and home that will alert you if CO levels get too high.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your reply. I am not worried about my garage as no car can fit in with all the crap stored. I was just wondering what would happen if the car was left on.

My google research indicated several fatalities caused by this issue, so I expect that a timed shutdown will be made mandatory.

Unfortunately it takes deaths for industry to respond. Considering how they claim safety as a selling point, Toyota should be ashamed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think your concern is valid and if enough people share this same concern and demand it I'm sure automakers will follow the consumer wishes.

The real driver of the initiative may be the government who monitors these types of situations and will make this mandatory for automakers to include automatic shutoff if they believe it is a safety item that will save lives.

One safety item Toyota took the initiative on is a complete safety suite of features included in every model they sell.

I bought a non Toyota vehicle recently and was very surprised that many of the standard options Toyota Safety Suite includes on every Toyota were an option and cost up on the vehicle we bought, some were not available at all unless you moved up to a premium options package.

Our recent purchase was the first car we ever negotiated and bought over the internet. It really allows you to make sure you are getting all the features you want and the exact model you want before you purchase. Having said that there are always things you didn't think of until you finally get the car. In our case our vehicle didn't come with Homelink a wonderful feature I miss but others would probably care less about.

Good luck with your new vehicle we have a 2004 Toyota Sienna with over 145,000 miles on it. Easily the most versatile and best vehicle we have ever owned. We have countless fond memories of family vacations this vehicle has carried us on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We purchased our 2018 Sienna XLE from Hertz. 10 months old 20200miles for several thousand less than what a dealer wants. Traded in a 2002 Odyssey. Had many problems with the Odyssey over the years.

This is a second car with our mileage usage of less than 4000 per year.

My problems is getting used to the audio system, and all the other bells and whistles.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Buying from Hertz sounds like a great way to get a good vehicle at a great price. These rental places have a good record of maintaining vehicle so their customers have a good reliable vehicle to rent.

I am going to have to replace our 2004 in a couple of years as it is not that far from being 20 years old.

I believe when I replace it I may very well go the route you did and check with Hertz and the other agencies for a late model Sienna.

Thank you for sharing what you did.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It'll run until you're out of gas. I work at a Nissan dealer, I've left cars running for 10 hours before and no key... numerous reasons.. sometimes forget.. sometimes to dry out the interior.. sometimes to recharge the battery. I've left many different brands running that use smart keys or push button ignition. None that I've been in have automatically shut off beside running out of gas.

When you run out of gas while leaving it unattended, it'll switch to accessory mode so if you leave that unattended it'll drain the battery.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some memories from several years ago (probably somewhere around 10-25):
One owner's manual that I saw had a warning not to leave the vehicle idling for extended periods. I don't remember how long they said was "too long" or what reason was given, if any.
I also seem to remember that one particular model was prone to catching fire if left idling longer than about 15-20 minutes.

Sorry I don't recall what makes and models these were, whether the same one or different ones.

·
Registered
152 Posts
When the car was still new to me and I was getting used to the keyless system I exited the car with it still running. It is quiet enough that I didn’t notice. It was still running when I got back at least an hour later. This is on a 2018 XLE.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Same model as my van. This is an obvious defect in the design. Toyota does not want to provide a answer to this inquiry.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts