Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have decided to buy a travel trailer and I'm tasked with speccing out the tow equipment and doing the installation of everything. One thing I'm still trying to figure out is all the wiring that's needed. I have a Curt 56106 4-Flat wiring harness on the way, which I'll connect to a 7-way adapter on the hitch receiver. I know that harness's controller will have its own wire running up to the battery itself. And it'll also provide ground, left turn signal, right turn signal, and tail/marker lights into the 7-way.

I'm also going with a Curt Spectrum 51170 Brake Controller, which will also be wired to the battery directly.

As far as I know, the only remaining one I need is to provide Aux power to charge the trailer battery. Is this last one as simple as running a fused 10AWG wire up to the battery and connecting it to the correct blade (#4 or red) on the 7-way plug? I'm assuming I simply need to unplug the trailer while parked to keep it from drawing power from the car battery?

·
Registered
586 Posts
One #10 wire is not going to be enough to charge your trailer battery. Too much voltage drop. I ran 2 #10 in parallel each for power and ground. I used a relay and a pick line from the rear wiper control harness (behind back left quarter panel in gen2) so it would only provide power when the ignition was on.

-Mike

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts