Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Sienna and I want to charge stuff (phone, iPad, etc.) from the 12 volt receptacles with NO key in the ignition. In other words, with Accessory OFF. I searched YouTube but couldn’t find anything specific to the 04 to 10 Sienna. I’m not an electrician but I can follow simple directions. Any suggestions for how to do this?

Thank you!😀

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,677 Posts
My memory fails me at this moment but I believe there is a hot terminal that is available at the fuse panel located by the left knee behind the kick panel.. If you have a multi-meter you could check. I have a 12V always live ( fused) cig. lighter outlet that I installed directly from the battery . I ran a 10 gauge wire through a grommet located behind the brake booster and it terminates by the carpet under the forward storage area below the tranny shift lever.

·
Registered
2009 le awd
235 Posts
I should do this also, why a cig lighter plug is switched is beyond me.
They were on all of the time in all of the other cars I've had.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I recall reading a "mod" which required you to turn 2 fuses into a jumper to feed continuous power to the 12-VDC power port.

And now for the history lesson...

Originally, these "cigar" lighters were an accessory. They were art deco pieces with beautiful cat's eye glass in the highest-end ones. (These are highly, highly collectible, BTW, and if anyone can find me a couple from the late 30s, I'd be interested in buying them). Into the post-WW2 era, everyone smoked cigarettes and "cigarette lighters" became a standard accessory. Flash forward to the late 90s and they re-branded the 12 VDC hole in the dash to be a "power port" and the cigarette lighter became an accessory again. Now, with so few people smoking, power ports are the standard and it's hard to even find a lighter to plug into the port. So, everyone uses them to charge/power accessories. The manufacturer has three choices. To let the end-user end up with a dead battery from draining it down. To add charge-controller logic where the port will auto-shutoff when the battery voltage drops to prevent a non-start situation. Or, to make it a switched circuit. Many manufacturers opt for the switched circuit.

For me, I would opt to run a whole new circuit from the battery. I have a disc player for the kids on long car trips and I will power it off the switched power port, but every time I stop for gas, I have to re-start the movie they're watching. And it would certainly be nice to be able to plug the phone in to charge for a couple hours. Although, I had to run to my car for something and instinctively put the key in the ignition and turned it to the ACC position and forgot it there. When I went back 3 hours later, the battery was dead and required a jump to start it. The only thing on it was the two phones charging. Now, to be fair, I'm probably going to end up needing a new battery soon (the first cold day of winter?). If I was running this as a camper van, I would definitely run a house battery and dedicated ports for charging devices, in addition to an inverter to be able to run 110 VAC stuff.

·
Registered
2006 LE
1,677 Posts
in addition to an inverter to be able to run 110 VAC stuff.
This is what I did to run a 300 watt pure sine wave to charge my Jackery 500 explorer as this is the fastest of the three methods to charge it. The Jackery powers a 12v refigerator (Alpicool C20 ) on my long trips.

Reactions: BillG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My memory fails me at this moment but I believe there is a hot terminal that is available at the fuse panel located by the left knee behind the kick panel.. If you have a multi-meter you could check. I have a 12V always live ( fused) cig. lighter outlet that I installed directly from the battery . I ran a 10 gauge wire through a grommet located behind the brake booster and it terminates by the carpet under the forward storage area below the tranny shift lever.
But is there a way to convert the existing three DC plugs so they don’t require Accessory to be on?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts