Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sienna CE 97k miles
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you used a regular socket instead of the 5-sided one, your van still needs the recall done. It's a good idea to drop the tire a couple times per year to check for dry rot, clean any road grit off and top off the pressure.
good thing you mentioned it, didn't look close enough last night. Turns out it does have the 5-side nut and found the special tool at the bottom of the jack caddie in the rear.

·
Registered
2006 LE
2,178 Posts
Also the full size tire does NOT go where the spare tire was. You put the full size tire behind the last row of seat on the drivers side. Lay it flat. The lower back panel is contoured for that and if you have an XLE then there is a bolt to secure it to the floor.

Reactions: BillG and 2004Owner

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE
253 Posts
Just a note. It is possible to put a full size tire in the spare tire location, but it reduces ground clearance by several inches at that point. I am planning on getting new tires today, and I am going to have them mount the best old tire on a spare rim as a spare tire for road trips. I feel a lot better about having a full-size spare tire and not having to worry about finding a tire shop in the middle of nowhere or on a weekend.

·
Registered
2006 LE
2,178 Posts
spare tire for road trips
I did this as a matter of fact. I found a professionally repaired new Michelin X-tour ( same as on van from Costco) on eBay for $39 and free shipping. Originally it was $59 and when it arrived I saw the repair that was not in the description and I negotiated for a lower price in lieu of a negative review. The folks at Costco mounted it for me on a spare rim and validated the professional repair.

·
Registered
2006 LE
2,178 Posts
So the full size tire I put in the trunk , vertically on the drivers side , where the cubby hole is. I secure it in place , standing , with nylon rope attached to one of the tie downs on the rear wall and another at one of the attachment points for the rear seat that is on the floor ahead of it. I use a bungee cord appropriately attached to prevent the tire from tipping. I am still able to store some tools in the recess of the tire even though it is standing. This is my setup for long trips. I still have a new spare tire that is in place for my short trips. Initially I wanted to do away with the bonafide spare but thought it best for me to reinstate it. I know it seems redundant but it works for me .

Reactions: BillG
1 - 10 of 10 Posts