Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am aware that many of us are in the league of 200K miles with their cars and so wanted to know from them as to how the maintain their car .
I drive 2006 sienna with 140K miles on it . It had alteast 4 different owners before me and initially the car was in Arizona and then was moved to Washington .

I have owned the car since 4 years and have put 40K on that , When I bought the car I got the time belting ,alternator , battery , front brakes , and big oil eak done and now the is running just fine . I do oil changes regularly and the tires are rotated at Costco .

I am planning for the 200K league , the ask is

1. Do I need to do something out of the ordinary to get the car to that mark . The car have aged and I know that we cannot time lot of things , but I wanted to know what are the major repairs post 140K ?

2. I have been told that with age its not the engine , but the body which gives up , if that's the case can we do something we delay the aging of the body ?

3. I have seen that I have a very distinct smell of the gas when I start my car , ( it has no leak ) , just wanted to know as does it points to something being wrong ?

4. Recently I feel that the car is just making more noise when it climbs a hill , as if its tired . Any idea what could be wrong ?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Do you know if the plugs were done? If not that would be a thing to consider. The bodies hold up well. Keep a eye on stone chips and touch them up.

As far as #3? Maybe a bit of a exhaust leak(?)
#4. I know gas quality has been a issue. Maybe try a different brand of gas? Maybe related to #3??

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife and I both drive 2006 AWD sienna's. Mine has about 235k on it, and I have no plans on getting rid of it, and wouldn't trade it for anything other than a newer Sienna. The one thing I do, is use Marvel Mystery Oil in it, with every oil change. I think it keeps the carbon from building up inside of the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 181K on my 2004 Limited that I bought new. I have had exactly ZERO problems with anything in the 15 years I have had the van. I think that the secret is: 1) to follow the factory severe duty (mostly in-town driving) to the letter. At 90K I simply started over the with timing belts, hoses etc. - oil changes at 3K miles, trans/cooling system/brakes etc at the specified service schedules. I have taken my van to the same independent shop for over 10 years, and they have had a good opportunity to regularly scan & check the vehicle and quickly address any issues that have come up, and to monitor brake and tire wear. 2) I use only Chevron or Costco (Chevron blend), and typically from stations that have heavy use, so always have fresh gas in the tanks. Chevron has techroline - same thing as Techron, which is the stuff that Toyota dealers use to clean the fuel injectors etc. 3) I wash the van regularly, wax it, preserve the black bits at least monthly, and have the car professionally detailed at least once per year, this includes dressing the leather, shampooing the carpets and cleaning the engine bay.
I would recommend that you make good friends with a local quality independent shop, read and follow the owners manual and keep it clean... It has worked very well for me, as the car looks and operates pretty much as it did in August of 2004. I figure that excluding tires and brakes, I have probably spent in the region of $7-8k in maintenance. At 15 years old, the depreciation has pretty much run its' course, and with a new replacement bordering on $50K, this van is getting pretty inexpensive to run.
After 45 years as a mechanic, engineer and car guy, the benefits from the cost and effort of regular maintenance have proven themselves to me time and time again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Change fluids at recommend intervals. I do one at 6k miles. Timing belt and water pump at 100 kmiles, three o2 sensors at 170 kmiles (broken exhaust stud pitn), Haven’t changed spark plug and at 205 k miles. Radiator just replaced. Hope another 100 k to go. 2003 Sienna gen 1

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am aware that many of us are in the league of 200K miles with their cars and so wanted to know from them as to how the maintain their car .
I drive 2006 sienna with 140K miles on it . It had alteast 4 different owners before me and initially the car was in Arizona and then was moved to Washington .

I have owned the car since 4 years and have put 40K on that , When I bought the car I got the time belting ,alternator , battery , front brakes , and big oil eak done and now the is running just fine . I do oil changes regularly and the tires are rotated at Costco .

I am planning for the 200K league , the ask is

1. Do I need to do something out of the ordinary to get the car to that mark . The car have aged and I know that we cannot time lot of things , but I wanted to know what are the major repairs post 140K ?

2. I have been told that with age its not the engine , but the body which gives up , if that's the case can we do something we delay the aging of the body ?

3. I have seen that I have a very distinct smell of the gas when I start my car , ( it has no leak ) , just wanted to know as does it points to something being wrong ?

4. Recently I feel that the car is just making more noise when it climbs a hill , as if its tired . Any idea what could be wrong ?
I would check fuel pressure and plugs and go from there. Think the fuel filter is in the tank with the pump, but you can check. I had to redo the fuel pump when I had similar issue on a sedan.
Have you scan it for an issues or dtc lights?
The smell of gas is when you are driving also or just starting? Leaking ejectors , evap canister or system issue or gas cap not working or sealing. As you know, fuel ejectors are suppose to hold fuel for the next start and they leak when going bad.
You can always have it smoked for check for leaks
. A Good Smoke Test can find leaking gaskets, hoses and evap leaks.
Not sure where the canister is located on that year of van.
I have owned vehicles where you have to drop the tank to get to the canister..-.poor engineering and design - and it continues today, sad to say.
Good Luck... glad to see owners doing and wanting to do their own repairs.
Interesting to know your fuel tank levels when going up hill and when you had the distinct smell of gas.

·
Super Moderator
4,419 Posts
Moved to Gen-II section of the forum........

·
Registered
80 Posts
I am at about 190K mi. Here is what I do. Keep fluids fresh! Oil and filter change every 4 mo/4,000 mi. Transmission fluid drain and fill every 30K mi. Transmission filter change every 90K mi. Drain and fill power steering fluid every 5 years or so. Drain and fill coolant every 2 years. Timing belt change every 80-90K mi. Spark plug change every 100K mi.

Am in California, so can't speak to the body giving out. That doesn't happen here.

My choice of fluids replacement schedule is overkill to a lot of people, but I learned to do the work myself and I think it is worth it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wash or rinse underneath and on the doors to remove salt and dirt. Keep all weep holes clean.
Replace a bad battery before it starts to leak. Wash underneath battery area with baking soda- water and then rinse.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you know if the plugs were done? If not that would be a thing to consider. The bodies hold up well. Keep a eye on stone chips and touch them up.

As far as #3? Maybe a bit of a exhaust leak(?)
#4. I know gas quality has been a issue. Maybe try a different brand of gas? Maybe related to #3??
Yes the Plugs wre done at 100K .
I use Costco for the gas and hope they are good .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts