Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Before replacing all that I would check that the cables to the wheel speed sensors are not damaged, especially the one that is stretched when turning. The VSC needs wheel speed to function.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issues on my 2004 Sienna. the VSC comes on when turning right on a ramp even at low speeds <30MPH. Just had a frustrating session with the service dept at the dealership where they tried telling me this is "normal operation" for the VSC. Since they didn't read any codes they understand the yaw sensors and everything else is working normally. Has anyone been able to fix this issue? if so, how?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm experiencing this as well. My rear brakes will apply themselves as I leave a stop sign and power is cut. Additionally, I will sometimes get the Stability Control light and beep as well. This started after the front wheel bearing was replaced on my van. A rear wheel sensor code came up originally but now can't get any codes to show after replacement of that sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I performed tsb Br001-04, zero point calibration and now both the VSC and track lights off are on. I will have to drive it some more to see if its permanent or temporary until it learns.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Techi, I know that this is an old post, but I see that you recently added to the thread. I recently replaced the whole Rack-n-Pinon, somehow got the steering wheel misaligned after install. That was corrected during wheel alignment but I see that I have to do this zero point calibration. Wondering if you performed zero point calibration with or without diag tester...I don't have a diag tester and am wondering which method you used and if it turned out good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have 2008 Sienna FWD. On occasion have issue that VSC and Trak come on, causing some troubling handling issues. When it kicks in can be startling and scary, especially for wife. Eventually the lights come on steady and I breathe easy knowing it is temporarily deactivated. I am getting "zero point calibration" and alignment today. If still problem will replace "Yaw Rate Sensor" gamble it is culprit. After that I don't want to spend anymore money on it. I would be happy with it permanently off/disabled since we drive in Bay Area California with good road conditions. IS there a "go to" simple way to disable? when this thread in 2015 ended didn't seem like there was.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I just pull a relay under the hood to disable it, it takes out the abs too
which i would rather keep but oh well.
I tried to find that yaw rate sensor but could not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Now it's a really old thread, but I wanted to provide an update for posterity. There are several related threads (all over the internet really) but they seem to peter out with no resolution. I have a 2004 that exhibits this dangerous condition with some frequency, since I live in Colorado and drive on winding mountain roads a lot. There are hundreds of complaints online, but apparently Toyota doesn't think it's a big enough problem to do a recall. Wonder how many head-ons have occurred due to this? It seems they did add a VSC override button on later models though...

I fixed this on my vehicle by doing the Zero Point Calibration procedure. It took a while to find a version that doesn't required the Toyota diagnostic computer. There is a good video here to explain the process:
If the site goes down, here's a description.

As noted above, the VSC, TRAC and ABS are all controlled by an ECU (computer). It relies on several (many?) sensors on the vehicle, and if any of those are failing or out of calibration, the system will respond with frequent false positives (it thinks you're skidding). The Zero Point Cal resets those sensors.

1. Find your diagnostic port connector. Find pins TS and CB. The connector is a trapezoid. With the long side on the bottom, CG is the 4th pin from the right, bottom row. TS is 4th pin, top row.

2. Take two large paper clips, straighten out one end. Shove the straight end into TS and CG.

3. Turn ignition on. Short the paper clips together rapidly, at least 4 times in 8 seconds. The VSC and ABS dash lights should blink rapidly, out of sequence, indicated you have cleared the VSC ECU memory. Turn off ignition.

4. Make sure the wheels are straight and the steering wheel is centered. Park on a level surface. Don't rock the vehicle. Hold the clips together to short TS and CG. Turn on ignition and wait at least 2 seconds. Shortly, the VSC and ABS indicators will start to blink in sequence, meaning you have re-calibrated the zero point of the sensors. Or some sensors, anyway.

5. It says to drive straight and level at more than 25mph for 10seconds. Where I live, I have to drive a ways to get to those conditions, so I'm not sure what this step really does. Just go drive the car and see if it's fixed.

And for the OP that wanted to disable the VSC, (hope you got it fixed) you just have to go through step 3 and VSC will be disabled. Unfortunately, ABS is also disabled, and you have to look at two rapidly blinking lights from now on. But at least VSC won't kick in and crash you!

·
Registered
23 Posts
On my 2004 Sienna I took off the cap for the gas tank (the cap is on loosely). After a couple of weeks (at least two tank fulls of gas) the check engine light will come on. At the same time the VSC light will come on and deactivate VSC. This has been my workaround for several months now.

Hope this helps

Sonu

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you use a scan tool to see what trouble code comes up? I had the vsc and check engine light come on at the same time. The issue was the mass air flow sensor. I bought an OEM part from Rockauto, and installed it. I also found a small vacuum connection on the engine air filter box disconnected. I repaired that and installed a new engine air filter as well. No more check engine or vsc lights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you use a scan tool to see what trouble code comes up?
Great idea. Scan tool did not bring up any errors.
I finally got around to getting the car checked out by Toyota dealer.
In my case the rack is slipping and a result the VSC thinks I'm skidding.

Its not worth the $2100 repair so I'm going to just drive it around with the gas cap loosely in place. This is a beautiful workaround since it deactivates the VSC and TRAC systems. The check engine line will also stay on but since I know I caused it I dont worry about it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2005 awd xle sienna and it has been doing the same thing, had the steering angle sensor replaced but it did not solve my problem. Just had it happen 3 times in 15 minutes, super scary.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts