Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

How to play DVD without remote

32K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  mrbacardi 
#1 ·
Hello. I have recently purchased a 2013 xle with navigation and rear entertainment system. We briefly lost the remote control and I noticed I was unable to fully play a DVD. It stops at the "play movie" screen after all the previews are complete. There are no menu options on the front nav screen only the play, stop, pause ff/rw "buttons" and I am unable to skip past this part. Are there any work arounds for this problem. I can't understand how this is not an option. I traded in my Dodge 2008 with DVD and it was much more functional from the front seat. Help me! we have a long road trip coming up!
Thanks.

#2 ·
There were two navigation headlights available on the XLE in 2013: 1) Display Navigation with Entune (6.1" screen), 2) DVD Navigation with JBL (7" screen).

I'm familiar only with the DVD Navigation/JBL version which I have in my 2014 Sienna Limited. On it, one sees a high level video menu similar to the menu displayed by a home DVD player and, from the in-dash screen, I can select Play Movie, scene selection, special features, etc. Although I can effectively control all of the DVD video's menu options from the in-dash screen, it is far easier to do it with the remote control. The only advantages of controlling the video from the in-dash screen is that front seat occupants can see the video while parked and the audio is played through the vehicle speakers instead of only through the headphones.

So ... which head unit do you have? Are you playing a commercial DVD and not one that has been burned? Have you tried playing other DVD's? And (sorry!) have you read the manual? If you don't have the manual, it can be downloaded at Toyota.com.

Did you find your remote control? If not, there are usually some on eBay and Amazon.

#3 ·
Hello. Thanks for the reply. I have the navigation with Entune and it does not have those features. Yes I have read the manual and tried to do some research and I guess it just does not have the option of a menu. The DVD's are definitely not burned. I find it odd that this version just doesn't have the feature I was looking for. Yes, we did find the remote thankfully but with 3 kids I am sure it will get lost/broken. Thanks.

#6 ·
Hi, did you ever find a solution to this? My 2015 is doing the same thing and We have only had it two months. I literally only wanted a van with a dvd player and am so upset. Getting an aftermarket is $800-900. Leaving in two weeks by myself with all 3 kids and I am just sick about this dang dvd player.

#7 ·
Have you lost the remote? If so, two weeks should be plenty of time to buy a replacement remote from eBay, Amazon or a Toyota dealer.

This thread has been about the 2011-2014 Sienna. The 2015-up Sienna has a somewhat different video system that can play Blueray discs as well as DVD discs. The remote control for the 2015-up video player is different than the one for the 2011-2014. Also, my understanding is that none of the 2015-up Sienna can control the video player from the in-dash screen and that they cannot play a video on the in-dash screen like some of the 2011-2014 Sienna systems could.

If you provide more specific information about the problem you are having, maybe I or someone else on this forum can help you.

This post has been deleted
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.