Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
I can use my controller on either of my vehicles. I have all the wiring brought up to a quality 4 pin connector in each vehicle, something along this product line:

http://www.ittcannon.com/product.aspx?id=1102

Then I put the mate for it on the wiring from the controller and it mounts up in each vehicle with a twist of the connector.

jh818 said:
scubajoe said:
I never found a plug for the brake controller. I have it all installed, except for the wiring harness for the controller itself. Since I am installing in two vehicles, I need to order a second controller for the Sienna, wire it to the brake pedal, and plug in the power from the battery and brake power (which are both already installed and ready to go).
I guess the Sienna was not pre-wired for a brake controller.

I am thinking about getting a brake controller and using it for both my 07 Sienna LE and 01 4Runner SR5. I was wondering if i could get an additional wiring harness to wire up the other vehicle so I can use the same brake controller? I doubt the 4Runner is pre-wired either. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
jh818 said:
I guess the Sienna was not pre-wired for a brake controller.
Unfortunate but true... this is what I was referring to in my earlier comment.

jh818 said:
I doubt the 4Runner is pre-wired either.
I would guess that the 4Runner is pre-wired, if only because it shares the same platform as the Tacoma pickup.

jh818 said:
I am thinking about getting a brake controller and using it for both my 07 Sienna LE and 01 4Runner SR5. I was wondering if i could get an additional wiring harness to wire up the other vehicle so I can use the same brake controller?
If the controller has a connector on it so that it is normally a plug-in installation, it is supplied with a harness of that connector and a set of wires; this is the case for the popular Prodigy and some others, and additional harnesses are available from the controller manufacturer. For the 4Runner, it may be possible (depending on the controller) to buy a harness which is already set up to be simple plug-in to the vehicle's prewired setup: in that case, the generic harness which comes with the controller could be installed in the Sienna and left there, while the vehicle-specific harness is used in the 4Runner. The manufacturers of some controllers promote this portability as a feature of their plug-in designs, but tcp's custom solution works for any controller, and any number of vehicles, even if the controller was not designed as a plug-in.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
brian_bp said:
jh818 said:
I doubt the 4Runner is pre-wired either.
I would guess that the 4Runner is pre-wired, if only because it shares the same platform as the Tacoma pickup.
Thanks, brian_bp. I will need to double check. It already comes with the 4 pin and hitch receiver from the dealer when we bought it new. I hope there is the wiring already so all i would need to get is the 7 pin pigtail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
brian bp,
I had the same problem of 11 lights and the current draw. I replaced all of the bulbs with LEDs. They draw about 1/10th of the incandescent bulbs.
RonF

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
RonF said:
brian bp,
I had the same problem of 11 lights and the current draw. I replaced all of the bulbs with LEDs. They draw about 1/10th of the incandescent bulbs.
RonF
I agree - that's the solution. I just haven't done it yet on our trailer, and since we are not currently using that trailer I may never get to it. The LED swap also only solves the problem for that specific trailer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed a receiver, 7-pin wiring, and a Prodigy P2 brake controller on my 2006 CE. This board was a great resource, and I appreciate everyone who has posted helpful information.

I bought the "standard" parts from eTrailer.com, which was another great source of information. Everything was technically easy and straight-forward. The biggest difficulty for me was installing the receiver onto the frame, because the bolt holes were so corroded. Anyway, I saw a few different posts here that asked about wire routing through the firewall. I took a few photos which may be helpful.

1. This photo is supposed to show the general location of the rubber grommet that I used. You can't actually see it in the photo because it's so far under the wipers, but it's easy to find if you follow the bundle of wires I marked with the red arrow. You can also follow the hood release. Note that removing the top of the air filter box will give you a lot more room to work.

2. This photo is a bit fuzzy, but it shows the grommet itself. I put a red circle around the nipple that I used.

3. Here's a clearer picture of the grommet, with two wires sticking through. I had a total of three wires that I had to run through the firewall, and I used the same nipple for all three. I ended up removing the wires shown in the photo, and ran a single wire through from the engine compartment. Then I went back and ran these wires through from the footwell. I don't think I could have easily ran the single wire through, from the engine compartment, with these two wires in place. I had some dielectric grease handy, so I put a dab on the end of the wires, which made it easier to feed them through. Anyway, this all wasn't nearly as frustrating as I thought it would be, despite the difficult location.

4. Here's a photo of the grommet from the footwell. It's located up under the dash, to the left (as you face the front of the van) of the steering wheel. The nipple that I used is circled, and I had to snip the end off before I could feed the wires through.

5. This last photo just shows where I mounted the brake controller. I couldn't find what I would consider a great location for it...but this should work well for me. I can see it well, and I can easily reach it. This location could be a problem for someone who sits very close to the dash, but my wife and I both drive with the seat all the way back and there is plenty of room for knees. If you mount the controller as shown, you have to make sure that it (the controller AND the wires) isn't in the way of the hood release.

Again, thanks everyone for all the helpful info. I hope these will make it easier for someone else.

·
Premium Member
2,923 Posts
Thanks for the description and illustration, Dave. :)

DaveR said:
5. This last photo just shows where I mounted the brake controller. I couldn't find what I would consider a great location for it...but this should work well for me. I can see it well, and I can easily reach it. This location could be a problem for someone who sits very close to the dash, but my wife and I both drive with the seat all the way back and there is plenty of room for knees. If you mount the controller as shown, you have to make sure that it (the controller AND the wires) isn't in the way of the hood release.
There was a collection of illustrated brake controller mounting locations in the old SiennaClub.org forum, and we tried to create something similar in Where did you mount your brake controller?, but we don't have much there... Dave, could you add your mounting photo and description to that topic? You might find my solution (illustrated there), or the common in-the-bin location, interesting.

Many years ago vehicles had fewer features so there wasn't much on the dash, and the dash was a simple flat panel... that made it easy to slap in a controller. Now there are switches and displays for a myriad of features so there are few blank spots, and the interior is a complex shape with the dash wrapping around the driver in what everyone who has never been at the controls of a plane calls a "cockpit" effect... leaving nowhere for a tacked-on component. Heavy-duty pickup trucks have factory-available controllers designed into the dash, but it's a challenge for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for grate instructions and pictures DaveR, one question though, WHAT WIRE DID YOU USE ON THE BRAKE PEDAL SWITCH?

Thanks.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts