Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an XSE 3 months ago, not that I wanted it, I was going for XLE, but this was the only car available.
So far my experience with the navi app is ... It sucks!

It keeps on picking very weird routes comparing with google map.

There was one time I was driving from east coast to chicago, the route it picked was 2 hours longer than google map coz it thought I-80 was closed near Toledo, I followed google map anyway, when we get closer to Toledo, the navi app kept on asking me to get off I-80 and detour to a local route, we ignored, eventually found that there was a section I-80 was reduced to one lane, but was not closed(I seriously doubt they would ever close off I-80 completely), since it was late in the evening, there wasn't even any traffic jam.

Another time I was in Fort Meyers FL, going to Cape Coral, the navi app picked a longer route without toll, ok, that's fine, but the route was 40+ mins longer, so I went in there and forced it to go through the toll bridge. it did, then, when I was driving, the stupid thing automatically switched back to the non-toll route, without even warning me! Fortunately I saw the travel time jumped and switched back to google map just in time to not miss the toll bridge.

after several incidents like these, now I just stopped using the navi app.

Registered
2016 Toyota Sienna XLE Premium 8 Passengers 馃殣
Why? it was top of the line in 1990. Should still be good.

I prefer to use my smartphone's system, though.

Registered
I bought an XSE 3 months ago, not that I wanted it, I was going for XLE, but this was the only car available.

There was one time I was driving from east coast to chicago, the route it picked was 2 hours longer than google map coz it thought I-80 was closed near Toledo, I followed google map anyway, when we get closer to Toledo, the navi app kept on asking me to get off I-80 and detour to a local route, we ignored, eventually found that there was a section I-80 was reduced to one lane, but was not closed(I seriously doubt they would ever close off I-80 completely), since it was late in the evening, there wasn't even any traffic jam.

Another time I was in Fort Meyers FL, going to Cape Coral, the navi app picked a longer route without toll, ok, that's fine, but the route was 40+ mins longer, so I went in there and forced it to go through the toll bridge. it did, then, when I was driving, the stupid thing automatically switched back to the non-toll route, without even warning me! Fortunately I saw the travel time jumped and switched back to google map just in time to not miss the toll bridge.

Make sure you check the Nav preferences, some users have found the defaults were set to avoid toll roads and in some cases highways that will impact routing.

At the end of the day, it still is not as flexible as the smart phone apps, and all of them have their own unique quirks.

Registered
I don't love it but I know that the predictive system involves using the built-in nav to improve fuel economy by anticipating hills, traffic, etc. and optimizing the hybrid/battery technology. I wonder how much fuel savings that actually yields, though...

Registered
I鈥檝e never used the factory navigation that any of my previous cars/SUV鈥檚 had. Always used WAZE 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔 W/ Apple Play

Registered
I prefer google maps, but gotta say the vans navigation saved our ass this summer when hitting a bunch of national parks and not having any cell service whatsoever

Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
I prefer google maps, but gotta say the vans navigation saved our ass this summer when hitting a bunch of national parks and not having any cell service whatsoever
May be put a reminder next time for off-line maps? I did that on three of our phones when we did something similar over the summer.

Registered
I鈥檝e never used the factory navigation that any of my previous cars/SUV鈥檚 had. Always used WAZE 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔 W/ Apple Play
Same here. I only use Phone though..Android Auto still feels 2009 IMHO.

Registered
May be put a reminder next time for off-line maps? I did that on three of our phones when we did something similar over the summer.
I had downloaded the map offline before we left, but apparently didn鈥檛 know how to use it correctly. We got pretty stuck a few times until I reverted to the vans built in nav.

Registered
I had downloaded the map offline before we left, but apparently didn鈥檛 know how to use it correctly. We got pretty stuck a few times until I reverted to the vans built in nav.
Ok. I think it is supposed to be transparent. My only issue was with custom Maps. I was trying to use custom Maps from Earthtrekkers.com but they wouldn't work off line. Other than that, I don't recall any other issues. I had used offline maps driving far away from cell phones range in India too. It had all worked as expected over there too. Just curious, what kind of troubles you had so that we can avoid it next time?

Registered
It鈥檚 not that the in car nav is /bad/. For example my 鈥16 Subaru Outback鈥檚 would always predict 15 min slower per hour than google maps/Waze. And it wouldn鈥檛 update until you got unreasonably close to your destination. 鈥17mi until destination, 2hrs, 3m until arrival.鈥 Not a major issue, just annoying. Sienna鈥檚 is certainly better than that. It does tend to prefer the simplest or most fuel efficient route, as opposed to the fastest. I also find the upcoming exit display to overwhelm the map and is not super useful.

Most in car nav is just not as good as Google Maps/Waze or an actual portable OTA update GPS unit. The updated maps and live traffic/police/construction reports make all the difference. Waze is my preference for longer trips with lots of interstate travel. Google Maps with downloaded offline maps is what I use when going places with poor reception.

Registered
Just curious, what kind of troubles you had so that we can avoid it next time?
Basically it wouldn鈥檛 even load. It couldn鈥檛 figure out where we were or how to get where we wanted. Basically, we鈥檇 have been lost for a whole had the vans navigation not been able to step in. Lots of it was in Wyoming.

Registered
I tried the Toyota nav system on the return leg of a trip half way across the US. At a few locations the route it would pick were poor routes that would have taken more time. Didn鈥檛 help gas mileage any that I could tell, but the route was mostly interstate driving in flat country. I suspect you would only see significant gas mileage improvement on a stop-and-go route or hilly route. We either use Google maps or Apple Maps through CarPlay. I prefer Apple Map鈥榮 verbal directions and it鈥檚 Apple watch turn notifications, but like Google maps capability to add stops. (I am hoping Apple will add the capability to add stops in a future update.) It would be interesting to know how much of the new car price we pay is for a navigation system that most of us abandon because it never matches what is available from tech companies.

Registered
Basically it wouldn鈥檛 even load. It couldn鈥檛 figure out where we were or how to get where we wanted. Basically, we鈥檇 have been lost for a whole had the vans navigation not been able to step in. Lots of it was in Wyoming.
Ok. Good to have a backup for situations like this. FWIW, I had manually downloaded about 50 maps of the areas we were going to be in. A lot of them were overlapping due to size restrictions. This was when we were doing Sightseeing of a dozen+ parks within Yellowstone, Seattle and Las Vegas Triangle. For whatever reasons, we got lucky and didn't have any issues with Google Maps.

Registered

I don鈥檛 use it. It is so inflexible, the phone apps recalculate when you take a better road. The Navigation system keeps tryptophan get yo to go back to its route.

Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
I don鈥檛 use it. It is so inflexible, the phone apps recalculate when you take a better road. The Navigation system keeps tryptophan get yo to go back to its route.
Did you check the settings to see if it is set to avoid certain types of roads?

Registered
Did you check the settings to see if it is set to avoid certain types of roads?
I did not. I鈥檓 impatient with poorly designed software and after 1 trip trying to use it I wrote it off and use my phone. I have considered checking out the secondary market for a better solution but have refrained from doing so

1 - 20 of 20 Posts