Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Metallic Slate Sienna LE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason the Search and Advanced Search function are not working for me today. Both give different errors.

I think this noise I am hearing has been there a long time I just never noticed as I don't really hear it inside the van or with the engine running. I just added the fog light switch and relay and was testing the connectors up front. So I turned the key to the on position and turned on the headlight and fog light switch. And then went to the fog light location to test for power. Well before even getting to the front, I noticed the humming noise as soon as I got out of the van. I tested and the noise happens as soon as I turn the key to the on position without the headlights or fog lights on. I recorded the sound, but it's pretty generic sounding. I can't figure out where it is coming from. It's definitely up front only. Nothing in the middle or rear of the van. I can't figure out even a general location in the engine bay such as left / right / front / rear / top / bottom.

1. Does anyone else have a noise up from with the van only in the on position and everything off? No lights, no fans, literally the only thing activated is the dashboard and fuel pump.
2. Anyone know where it is coming from?

Besides the radiator fans (which are off during this test), are there any other electric motors in the engine bay that could be running?

Forum file attachment doesn't support audio files, so here is a link to the 10 sec audio file.

·
Registered
2009 Metallic Slate Sienna LE
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found that the EFI NO 1 fuse and EFI Relay both turn off the noise when pulled.

EFI NO 1 fuse drives the EFI relay which drives the below items.
  • AF relay (pulled, no change to noise, plugged back in.)
  • C/OPN Relay -> FUEL pump relay (pulled each, no change to noise, plugged back in.)
  • EFI NO 2 fuse (pulled, no change to noise, plugged back in.)
  • input to ECM pins +B and +B2 (didn't touch this)
I don't get how pulling the EFI NO 1 fuse or the EFI Relay both cause the noise to stop. But yet pulling anything that comes after that does not stop the noise. And I don't see anything else in the wiring diagram that runs off the EFI Relay. So I think it must be something after the ECM as the EFI relay does power 2 pins on the ECM.

Also can't find the location of the noise. I think it's coming from near the firewall at the top back of the engine. Which is also where the injection manifold is. The search continues.

I would love to hear if anyone else has this noise. Figuring out if it is normal is my biggest goal. Finding the exact source would just be a nice side goal. Hard to search for if it's normal when I don't know what is causing the noise. lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts