Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some specific feedback on towing capability of AWD 2021/2022 Sienna. Sorry if a repeat, I posted this morning then edited a typo in the Title and the post seems to have gotten lost in purgatory. I'm looking for a reality check on towing a nearly 3000lb boat/trailer package up some steep, rough, gravel roads, trip distance is short, less than 1/2 mile, but I might need to do most weekends if my old truck dies. My concern is that the hybrid drive rear motor system is less capable than a more conventional AWD system and getting good drive power from both front and rear is pretty important on these gravel hills. For what it's worth, my 2009 Venza (AWD and 3.5l V6) can handle the towing pretty well but I need the room of the van. I'd like the fuel economy of the hybrid but the unknown of towing is pushing me towards the larger more conventional 3-row SUVs and the Highlander is too small. I'd go with a 2018-2020 AWD Sienna but the used market prices are so high that new seems the way to go.

So, anybody with 2021+ Sienna AWD towing experience on loose, low speed, uphill surfaces? Thanks!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't have specific experience, but from prior threads, I learned that the new Sienna has a 3500 pound rated capacity and all 2021 (presumably 2022) Siennas have the tow package as standard. You just need a hitch/lights, etc. The Toyota hitch is 1.25" so most go with aftermarket to get a 2" receiver.

·
Registered
2021 XSE AWD PP Celestial Silver Metallic
145 Posts
I pull my boat (2500#) up a short wet launch ramp and gravel incline with no problem. No way to compare that to your rough steep 1/2 mile though. I would not worry at all about the capability of the rear drive, more worries in the traction of the tires and ground clearance.
I did haul a 2500# utility trailer with a fully loaded XSE AWD with a canoe on top over the passes on I-70 and was passing way more cars than passed me.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I’d agree with aftermarket tow hitch, just note that most hang so low that they bottom out and scrape even when you’re not towing anything. Sounds like the only one that doesn’t do this is the Torklift Ecohitch which sits significantly higher up. The 1.25” OEM receiver is overpriced unusable garbage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’d agree with aftermarket tow hitch, just note that most hang so low that they bottom out and scrape even when you’re not towing anything. Sounds like the only one that doesn’t do this is the Torklift Ecohitch which sits significantly higher up. The 1.25” OEM receiver is overpriced unusable garbage.
Do you know if the OEM one is class 1 or 2 by chance?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I should clarify that the hills are not a half mile long, cabin to boat launch is about half mile, the 2 hills in-between are only about 60 - 80 feet vertical (this is Kansas, not Colorado) but slope exceeds 15%. We have a 2006 Sienna (front wheel drive) that we are replacing, I totally get the ground clearance thing, have a 2" receiver on it for hauling bikes and it bottoms the receiver on driveways, speed bumps, etc, even when empty. Definitely planning an aftermarket 2" receiver, don't need to tow the boat with any significant load in the van but rear airbag/spring assist look promising too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts