Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious if anyone else has had this happen yet? We had 2000 miles on the new Sienna when it started saying “Hybrid System Failure, Contact Dealer”. We took it in and they said the main hybrid wiring harness has a faulty connector. The problem is, they don’t have a part to fix it. It’s been sitting in the maintenance bay at the dealer for over a month now with no ETA. They put us in a 2020 rental, but we are getting pretty irritated that we paid for a new van but we don’t have that new van. I actually think that after 30 days it qualifies under our state lemon law. Wondering if it’s a one-off issue or if this is going to be a systemic problem and Toyota ends up doing a recall for this wiring harness.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Don't complain, milk the freebee for as long as you can. The 21 is new, it's 400 volts, caution is understandable.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't complain, milk the freebee for as long as you can. The 21 is new, it's 400 volts, caution is understandable.
Have to disagree here. I might agree if they'd given him a 2021 van with all the same features, then sure why not put miles on somebody else's vehicle. But they're making payments on (or even if paid cash they're depreciating) a brand new vehicle with a lot of new and fun features while driving something different than that.
A month in with no ETA I'd confirm that the vehicle is eligible under the lemon law and then absolutely request a permanent replacement or else an equivalent model as a loaner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been weighing out both sides of this. My biggest worry with getting a new replacement van will be that the new van ends up with the same faulty connector and is back in the shop like this one. I definitely don't mind racking miles on the rental van, but it is costing me more in gas and it's not as comfy as the 2021. I've never filed a lemon law claim before so I'm not sure if I'd need to get a lawyer. If that's the case, I'm not certain I'm up for the cost and headache of that. Whole thing just sucks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Does not seem reasonable that it has taken over a month to get this part in stock. Sounds like your dealer is incompetent.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've been weighing out both sides of this. My biggest worry with getting a new replacement van will be that the new van ends up with the same faulty connector and is back in the shop like this one. I definitely don't mind racking miles on the rental van, but it is costing me more in gas and it's not as comfy as the 2021. I've never filed a lemon law claim before so I'm not sure if I'd need to get a lawyer. If that's the case, I'm not certain I'm up for the cost and headache of that. Whole thing just sucks.
IANAL but I don't think there's much in the way of costs to the consumer. I suspect just letting the dealer know that now that you've been without the use of your new car for a month you'd like to go ahead and have it replaced under xyz's lemon law. Ask them when you can pick up the new car.

I wouldn't worry about the faulty connector issue so much since as far as I'm aware this is not a common issue. I'd rather roll the dice with a new car that's probably going to be perfectly fine.

At the very least they should long since have harvested this connector from a new van on the lot and let one of their inventory sit there unusable until the replacement part arrives. There's no excuse for making you do the waiting. If you do want your van back then you could always couple your lemon law reference with a request that they take the part out of a new van. They might be more willing to do that if they believe the alternative is a full refund.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our 2021 Sienna went into the shop March 26 2021 because of the Hybrid System Malfunction Visit Your Dealer Warning. We got it back 3 weeks later they just replaced 2 fuses. They gave us a RAV4 as a rental. And as I’m typing this today April 3rd the Hybrid System Malfunction warning just came up again! And the RAV4 rental is not going to be enough room for us this time.. I have 2 kids in booster seats and a 14 year old. 😩😭

·
Registered
243 Posts
Our 2021 Sienna went into the shop March 26 2021 because of the Hybrid System Malfunction Visit Your Dealer Warning. We got it back 3 weeks later they just replaced 2 fuses. They gave us a RAV4 as a rental. And as I’m typing this today April 3rd the Hybrid System Malfunction warning just came up again! And the RAV4 rental is not going to be enough room for us this time.. I have 2 kids in booster seats and a 14 year old. 😩😭
I would say take the youngsters in booster seats with you and plead your case that they need to fit in the rental, but in covid times, if you can, drop off the Sienna with the booster seats installed sans kids to make your point?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would say take the youngsters in booster seats with you and plead your case that they need to fit in the rental, but in covid times, if you can, drop off the Sienna with the booster seats installed sans kids to make your point?
Well we’re stranded out of state about 13 hours away from original dealership. This is just a huge mess. We’re trying to find a one way rental car home. I don’t understand why Toyota can’t give us one here. We have to take a Uber to the rental car place. Warranty will only tow it 20 miles or something.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well we’re stranded out of state about 13 hours away from original dealership. This is just a huge mess. We’re trying to find a one way rental car home. I don’t understand why Toyota can’t give us one here. We have to take a Uber to the rental car place. Warranty will only tow it 20 miles or something.
Wow, sorry to hear of this, I would work with the dealer(s) involved to escalate this up to Toyota and see if because of the extenuating circumstances they will work with you to get you taken care of. Good Luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear of this, I would work with the dealer(s) involved to escalate this up to Toyota and see if because of the extenuating circumstances they will work with you to get you taken care of. Good Luck and stay safe.
So the dealership here where we were stranded really took great care of us and we’ve upgraded to the platinum version and we’re on our way home!

·
Registered
243 Posts
So the dealership here where we were stranded really took great care of us and we’ve upgraded to the platinum version and we’re on our way home!
Awesome to hear this on a Holiday weekend, hopefully this will become a distant tale of adventure. Safe Travels!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Total bummer and sounds like the same issue. I have to wonder if they will need to replace the wiring harness like on ours. We JUST got our van back on March 31st. They had it almost 60 days! Fingers crossed that it actually stays fixed! If I were you, I’d probably make a huge fuss with the dealer this time that you need an equivalent sized rental. A sienna or at a min, a highlander.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Curious if anyone else has had this happen yet? We had 2000 miles on the new Sienna when it started saying “Hybrid System Failure, Contact Dealer”. We took it in and they said the main hybrid wiring harness has a faulty connector. The problem is, they don’t have a part to fix it. It’s been sitting in the maintenance bay at the dealer for over a month now with no ETA. They put us in a 2020 rental, but we are getting pretty irritated that we paid for a new van but we don’t have that new van. I actually think that after 30 days it qualifies under our state lemon law. Wondering if it’s a one-off issue or if this is going to be a systemic problem and Toyota ends up doing a recall for this wiring harness.
This JUST happened to me minutes ago. Quick google search and I found y’all. The dealer said they would “fit me in” at four and are saying they may not be able to address it if the error message isn’t listed when I get there. I had to turn it on and off three times to get it to drive. Any advice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
This JUST happened to me minutes ago. Quick google search and I found y’all. The dealer said they would “fit me in” at four and are saying they may not be able to address it if the error message isn’t listed when I get there. I had to turn it on and off three times to get it to drive. Any advice?
I’m sorry to hear that you’re having issues with your van also! Is the “error message” hybrid system failure? I’m not sure if I’m understanding your message correctly but it sounds like the “error message” isn’t on all the time? When our hybrid system failure message popped up it stayed up 100% of the time. But ours really had a lot of issues at the end where the power doors wouldn’t even open unless done manually and van would turn on but faub wasn’t recognized as being in car. This caused car alarm to go off each time we manually unlocked and got into it. And every fuse we tried replacing just automatically blew out again! Only advice I can give is don’t drive it if it’s having issues like that... have it towed to the dealership and keep record time/dates places info for letter to dealer for lemon law if you need to end up doing that. And also if they just replace fuses that’s only a temporary fix.. if fuses are blowing on a brand new vehicle it has to be a major wiring issue and I wouldn’t take any long trips like we made the mistake of doing... at least until they fix the real issue. I wasn’t open to trading it off but I’m glad we did and we haven’t had ANY issues with our new current “Platinum” model so if you want to save yourself some heartache I would recommend that especially if you take it in and they don’t communicate well to you like they did to us and slap a band-aid on it and say it’s good! Good luck to you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do. You are in a situation right now where you need to re-start the car several times in order to even drive it. The only good part of that is that you can probably replicate the problem at the dealer. The bad part is they are going to keep your van when you go down there. Once they take it, they can't give it back to you with that issue unresolved. Be prepared to have them put you in a rental and grab any person items you need out of your van before you go down there. Maybe they have parts in stock to resolve it, but if not, be prepared to not have your van for a while. Ours took almost 2 months before we got it back! Wish I could give you better news. Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yikes. Sorry to hear that. No problem so far with mine but I'm just over 1,500 miles but will know what to do if it happens. Thanks for sharing.

On something like this I would file a case with Toyota directly. I'd push for a bigger rental for your needs.

In my case I take my retired greyhounds to a fenced in dog park 2 to 4 times a week. Many rental car companies do not allow dogs in their vehicles.

Do either of you know when yours was built? Should be on the door placard.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You're paying for a vehicle you don't even have possession of for 30 days. I'd start lemon law immediately. Manufacturer doesn't want to buy it back. Maybe it will make them move quicker to fix the issue.

·
Registered
LE FW
4 Posts
kid you not! We drove our home and the “Sign” pop up, i was only thinking about Lemon. Since the purchased dealer was 100 miles away (also same dealer rep said, if you don’t have power/brake issues , keep driving) i went to nearby dealer and same fixed “loose hybrid batter wire harness”. Took 3 hours, sine then drove 1000 miles and so far clean.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts