Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined this forum a couple months ago since I had a particularly problematic Gen 2 and I was hoping for a way to make affording constant repairs cheaper.. After giving up hope on that pipe dream, I sold it for $3,800 (somehow! It was leaking transmission fluid, coolant, power steering fluid, and the brakes were super sketchy) and made do with driving rideshare in my other vehicle - a 2012 Volvo XC60 which has been the best car I've ever had. I wanted a certified XC90 so I could do the XL and luxury rides, but the Volvo dealers where I live are trash and despite me literally having money to pay for the vehicle, nobody would actually take me seriously enough to sell me one!

On recommendation from my boss at the day job, I drove an hour out of town to a massive dealer complex that sells Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Subaru, Ford, Mazda, GMC, Buick, and Nissan. I was looking at their used inventory, but late model 3 row vehicles are in short supply, particularly with the easy to clean leather seats, adjustable lumbar, sunroof to see the addresses on tall buildings, and a semi-decent sound system. I drove a 2019 Subaru Ascent. I liked it. It had 41k miles, and was loaded, but cost $41,000. Too much. I asked to see options at the Toyota side, and they had a 2022 gray LE for $41,000 as well, but had zero options. I had test driven a 2021 Sienna and a 2022 Kia telluride a few week prior and was blown away by the Sienna, and 36 MPG has changed stupider minds than mine, so at this point, the Sienna was "on the table" despite all the problems with my Gen 2, swearing I'd never buy another Toyota product, etc. My salesman asked the manager if they had anything else and/or if I could order one because I can wait since I still have the Volvo. As I browsed Toyota's used car lot, my salesman returned with "news": Ordering a Sienna would mean facing a 4 - 6 month backlog. However, he was holding a clipboard with a spec sheet. "This will be here Thursday the 13th": 2022 Sienna XLE 8 passenger FWD. Windchill pearl over graphite embossed softex. Options: Roof rails. all weather floor liners, Tri-fold-cargo- liner, and body side moldings. No spare tire (I'll have to buy one, that's something I'm not interested in considering life without) I put $5,000 down and was approved at 1.9% via Toyota financial, so I'm guessing it's a done deal, provided nothing shady or tragic happens.

I guess my questions are: How do those of you who have these vans like them? Where do I get a spare tire? All rideshare drivers prefer the 2-2-3 seating configuration for convenience, so how do I remove the 8th seat in the middle of the 2nd row?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Love ours. One of the best cars I’ve owned. 8th seat removes easily and stores in the trunk (or for most people, collects dust in the garage). You can buy a spare tire anywhere. That’s not your problem. Problem is deciding how to transport it. It can roll around loose in the trunk, or you can get a roof box and put it in there, but that’s about it. Very happy with ours, though.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
In addition to what Vanfam12345 said: mine came without the spare as well, and, like you, I don't want to rely on the goo and the tire inflator.

I bought a full size 5th wheel at the dealership for >$700.00 (the rim, the tire and the TPMS + shipping + tax), which is expensive, but I did want to have 5 identical wheels, so if I had to drive on a spare it would not mess with my AWD.

Besides, the compact spare would have been >$500.00, which is not cheap either. You could get an aftermarket spare from the likes of Modern Spare for less than $400.00. Still not cheap, though.

Complete Spare Tire Kit For 2021 Toyota Sienna, Compact | Modern Spare

So far I have done close to 16K miles and we really like the van.

Reactions: 5Craks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Love ours. One of the best cars I’ve owned. 8th seat removes easily and stores in the trunk (or for most people, collects dust in the garage). You can buy a spare tire anywhere. That’s not your problem. Problem is deciding how to transport it. It can roll around loose in the trunk, or you can get a roof box and put it in there, but that’s about it. Very happy with ours, though.
It will definitely be collecting dust in the garage or attic or unused bedroom closet. In a perfect world, I'd like to get the factory storage area for it too so it's as if it left the factory with one.

In addition to what Vanfam12345 said: mine came without the spare as well, and, like you, I don't want to rely on the goo and the tire inflator.

I bought a full size 5th wheel at the dealership for >$700.00 (the rim, the tire and the TPMS + shipping + tax), which is expensive, but I did want to have 5 identical wheels, so if I had to drive on a spare it would not mess with my AWD.

Besides, the compact spare would have been >$500.00, which is not cheap either. You could get an aftermarket spare from the likes of Modern Spare for less than $400.00. Still not cheap, though.

Complete Spare Tire Kit For 2021 Toyota Sienna, Compact | Modern Spare

So far I have done close to 16K miles and we really like the van.
Mine's FWD so I'm a lot less concerned about messing stuff up as I am about being stranded in the boonies at 2am with a torn sidewall and a tow truck 2 hrs away. I like the modern spare idea, but can it be stored in the place where it would come inside the van had it been spec'd?

I was surprised how well it drove when I tested it at a different dealer. I was expecting it to be an absolute dog since it had less HP than my Gen 2 but weighed more, but it's surprisingly competent. Not near as fast as my Volvo, but it's not made for that. Besides, the Volvo is far faster than anyone ever needs to go anyway so it doesn't really apply here.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
It will definitely be collecting dust in the garage or attic or unused bedroom closet. In a perfect world, I'd like to get the factory storage area for it too so it's as if it left the factory with one.

Mine's FWD so I'm a lot less concerned about messing stuff up as I am about being stranded in the boonies at 2am with a torn sidewall and a tow truck 2 hrs away. I like the modern spare idea, but can it be stored in the place where it would come inside the van had it been spec'd?

I was surprised how well it drove when I tested it at a different dealer. I was expecting it to be an absolute dog since it had less HP than my Gen 2 but weighed more, but it's surprisingly competent. Not near as fast as my Volvo, but it's not made for that. Besides, the Volvo is far faster than anyone ever needs to go anyway so it doesn't really apply here.
Oh, you don't need the boonies to give yourself a few hours of roadside adventure with a blown sidewall (based on my first-hand experience). I don't think rescue trucks even tow anymore, so you'll need a flatbed, and in the COVID era you can't even ride with the rescue crew.

I keep the 5th wheel in the back. There is still plenty of space for all we want inside. When we use the 3rd row, the 5th wheel gets moved into the well behind the 3rd how.

I found that even on long, steep grades the Sienna doesn't run out of breath, even though the gas engine by itself is not even 190HP. I recall doing 70 mph on the interstate and seeing another 2021 Sienna swish past me like I was standing still, I am guessing he was flying at 100-110 mph. And I can vouchsafe that with conservative driving, in normal driving conditions you would be able to get the claimed 36 mpg. So yes, I think you find the van a good buy.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You might have a different view, but the integrated spare tire with a storage compartment was a "must have" item for me and I had the luxury of time because I had another functional vehicle. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2021 XLE Plus Gray
864 Posts
I recommend buying a Toyota spare tire & rim on ebay. The are several listed and are selling for $150 to $200+ with some including the jack & tools. It will be less bulky than a regular tire. I recommend checking with the seller to find out the vintage of the tire so that you do not get something too old.
Retrofitting the inside storage would be very expensive. I think the parts alone are about $1400 without the labor. You have to change out the left rear panel.
I was fortunate to get my Sienna with a spare. Good Luck.

·
Registered
673 Posts
can it be stored in the place where it would come inside the van had it been spec'd?
Not without replacing the entire rear drivers side panel, attaching mounting hardware on to the frame, bolting a mounting bracket to that hardware, then also replacing the battery cover with one that includes lug wrench and floor panel with the jack. It’s a big task with lots of parts

Font Material property Number Paper Ticket

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not without replacing the entire rear drivers side panel, attaching mounting hardware on to the frame, bolting a mounting bracket to that hardware, then also replacing the battery cover with one that includes lug wrench and floor panel with the jack. It’s a big task with lots of parts

View attachment 52741
That's not reassuring. I guess I'll have to see what's included with the inflator kit and go from there. I don't want the spare tire just sitting on the floor of the trunk every single day forever "just in case". I want it to be stored properly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys I'm gutted. I just built the vehicle to see what I'd be getting and it looks like I've overpaying. I built the exact van from the build sheet they gave me. Build Your Own Toyota | Toyota Configurator $42,168 and my "best" deal is $44,500. Should I back out? I already made the down payment. Can I get it back? Or should I not worry about it?

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Guys I'm gutted. I just built the vehicle to see what I'd be getting and it looks like I've overpaying. I built the exact van from the build sheet they gave me. Build Your Own Toyota | Toyota Configurator $42,168 and my "best" deal is $44,500. Should I back out? I already made the down payment. Can I get it back? Or should I not worry about it?
Such is the bizarre world of consumer goods' shortages. Another few months on this path and we may end up with car rationing, automotive nepotism and underground market profiteering.

Do both prices include the destination fee and other surcharges?

If you want to back out, I think the dealer would accommodate you, because they wouldn't have a problem finding another buyer quickly. BTW I think that was the way your Sienna became "available" to you all of a sudden without a few months' worth of wait - another person must have pulled out of the deal.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
445 Posts
In this market you're gonna be paying either MSRP if you find a volume dealer or over MSRP if not. There is no way around it right now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Such is the bizarre world of consumer goods' shortages. Another few months on this path and we may end up with car rationing, automotive nepotism and underground market profiteering.

Do both prices include the destination fee and other surcharges?

If you want to back out, I think the dealer would accommodate you, because they wouldn't have a problem finding another buyer quickly. BTW I think that was the way your Sienna became "available" to you all of a sudden without a few months' worth of wait - another person must have pulled out of the deal.
The configurator did include destination, $1,215. I did not get a window sticker out of the dealer, just the build sheet with the VIN and a hand written price. That was it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
~$2000 over MSRP is not a bad deal. Some are paying $5k or more over MSRP. I’m sure some are getting their vans at MSRP right now but that is probably few and far between. If you want the van, pull the trigger because someone else 100% will at that price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
~$2000 over MSRP is not a bad deal. Some are paying $5k or more over MSRP. I’m sure some are getting their vans at MSRP right now but that is probably few and far between. If you want the van, pull the trigger because someone else 100% will at that price.
Oh well. I do want the thing, so I guess I'm stuck then. I put $5,000 down so hopefully I won't instantly be upside down as soon as I drive it off the lot.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Oh well. I do want the thing, so I guess I'm stuck then. I put $5,000 down so hopefully I won't instantly be upside down as soon as I drive it off the lot.
I guess it was easier for me, because Mr. Sparkollz was available, of a good spec (it only lacks the factory spare wheel that I need and has the moonroof that I have no use for), and at a known price. I guess there is a big difference between May and October as far as availabiltiy, prices and waiting times.

Also, if you focus on the TCO rather than the purchase price, you might find it more palatable to pay a little bit more upfront and then save twice as much over the life of the car

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess it was easier for me, because Mr. Sparkollz was available, of a good spec (it only lacks the factory spare wheel that I need and has the moonroof that I have no use for), and at a known price. I guess there is a big difference between May and October as far as availabiltiy, prices and waiting times.

Also, if you focus on the TCO rather than the purchase price, you might find it more palatable to pay a little bit more upfront and then save twice as much over the life of the car
Forgive me if I have no idea what TCO is. Talking to people at my work, nobody seems to think this is a bad deal. I guess I'm going through with it. They're about to give me a whole lot of warranties and extras for free, though.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
Oh, that's the Total Cost of Ownership, which consists of the purchase price + the interest if you borrowed any money + the cost of operation incl. insurance and property tax + the cost of maintenance minus the residual value when you trade it in or sell it after you are done with it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts