Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So for over half a year I've been beaten, taken advantage of and kids dragged to so many car dealerships they now hate popcorn. All in the name of trying to find a frigging minivan before December. It finally came down to the line of a 23 sport Odyssey going in to transit any week and a Sienna allocation in my name with a agreed upon market adjustment showing up 2nd week of September. I like the Odyssey; I admit I was rooting for it but the wife made it clear she's going to stab in my sleep if she has to hear anymore about cars so whichever van shows up first.. we buy.

Full disclosure. I had never been able to actually drive the newest Siennas. I was able to sit in one and check everything out but no test drive as obviously it was allocated to someone already. I did get to drive a 23 sport Ody and really liked it.

Well the Sienna showed up early, came in this last week. Blueprint XLE which is the color I liked most. Checked it out and finally got to drive one, done deal we now own a Sienna. Point of this post is just some of my very random observations/comments based off the last week concerning things I see constantly come up but could never be sure about as peoples opinions get pretty strong and guys like me in the market just want to know whats really up without bias. Most of my research beforehand was based off of youtube reviews, sites like this and simply pouring over opinions from searches like "sienna 2022 vs odyssey reddit"

• The power of the sienna. This was the biggest one and illustrates just how ridiculous internet comments can be and why it's important to take random posters on the web with a grain of salt. Even good youtube reviews couldn't really convey this area, you simply need to drive something yourself. As soon as I took it out for the test drive I laughed. People made it sound like the Sienna couldn't pull a toddler behind it on a tricycle. This thing can move man; I have had ZERO issues taking off when I needed to or making passes no problem. I have no idea what the issue is here.

• Engine Noise. I often saw this described as a "Roar". Yeah so I'll agree it has a unique kinda sound to it, sort of cool actually. Makes me feel like I'm doing the whole "Toyota cutting edge hybrid" thing but I wouldn't describe it as a roar by any means. Now to be fair I'm in S.Texas where things like real hills don't exist so maybe when dealing with that it gets crazier.

• Road/wind noise. See this come up a lot. Again, in my now real world experience I don't see it. I suppose it's a bit louder than your average 4 door being that it's a van and all but I really don't notice much of anything unusual.

• Weird Brakes. Another one I'm unsure what people mean by this. I'm getting pretty old now, driven a whole lot of different vehicles in my life and I don't see any difference in braking a Sienna compared to anything else I've driven.

Random crap -

Dealer addons suck man. My $350 premium floor mats (technically an unwanted port option) stayed in the van all of one day before I replaced them with some awesome recommended all weathers from these forums. Those things are a steal at that price, they should be charging $400 for them.

Being charged for window tinting thats already been installed before being delivered to the dealer..lol, I called them out on this one and was told "Well we remove all that factory tint and give you whatever legal level you want" I was like yeah I know the deal, it's fine. Just go ahead and tint the driver/passenger to match and I'm good.

If you get that "Vehicle Protection Plan" stuff for like $400ish it's just going to be a tube with toyotas colors on it called paint renewer cleaner. Don't put that stuff on your brand new van. You can look at reviews or youtube videos explaining why you should just toss it. I threw two coats of meguiars hybrid ceramic wax on there, done. Stuffs great.

Spare tire was a huge issue to me. Priced out the kit, figured I'd do the install myself.. seems to be a bit of a pain to get ordered and you still need to make sure you located the correct tire for it.. annoying but doable. Turns out the wife though liked the little 8th seat storage bay you lose when installing that kit so again, through these boards I found this dude instead. Beautiful. In all my years 90% of the time I've had a flat it's walking to the garage in the morning and finding the car with a tire shot and having to toss the spare on so I can go fixx it real quick. The idea of walking out, finding a flat and actually having to call for service because I literally can't do anything about it bothered the hell out of me. This solution solves that worry and is nice and clean so I can just toss it in the back for long trips. Easy.

The 8 seater vs 7. I only ever really found a couple of videos talking about this and had wondered why I would go with the 7 when I can just grab the 8 and remove it whenever I want to use 7... well now I know. Somehow either those videos didn't cover it or I just missed that the 8th seat when removed still leaves that middle platform it attaches to there in the way.
Bit of a disappointment. The wife and the kids are already hopping over it but it kinda sucks that its there... in the way. The reality though is it wouldn't have mattered. In all my searching I never one time saw a 7 seater allocation anyways so it's not like I could have gotten one.

Somehow I missed the Sienna also having ACC (adaptive cruise). I thought only the Odyssey had it, good surprise.

I've enjoyed the hell out of driving this van. Smooth ride.

·
Registered
108 Posts
So for over half a year I've been beaten, taken advantage of and kids dragged to so many car dealerships they now hate popcorn. All in the name of trying to find a frigging minivan before December. It finally came down to the line of a 23 sport Odyssey going in to transit any week and a Sienna allocation in my name with a agreed upon market adjustment showing up 2nd week of September. I like the Odyssey; I admit I was rooting for it but the wife made it clear she's going to stab in my sleep if she has to hear anymore about cars so whichever van shows up first.. we buy.

Full disclosure. I had never been able to actually drive the newest Siennas. I was able to sit in one and check everything out but no test drive as obviously it was allocated to someone already. I did get to drive a 23 sport Ody and really liked it.

Well the Sienna showed up early, came in this last week. Blueprint XLE which is the color I liked most. Checked it out and finally got to drive one, done deal we now own a Sienna. Point of this post is just some of my very random observations/comments based off the last week concerning things I see constantly come up but could never be sure about as peoples opinions get pretty strong and guys like me in the market just want to know whats really up without bias. Most of my research beforehand was based off of youtube reviews, sites like this and simply pouring over opinions from searches like "sienna 2022 vs odyssey reddit"

• The power of the sienna. This was the biggest one and illustrates just how ridiculous internet comments can be and why it's important to take random posters on the web with a grain of salt. Even good youtube reviews couldn't really convey this area, you simply need to drive something yourself. As soon as I took it out for the test drive I laughed. People made it sound like the Sienna couldn't pull a toddler behind it on a tricycle. This thing can move man; I have had ZERO issues taking off when I needed to or making passes no problem. I have no idea what the issue is here.

• Engine Noise. I often saw this described as a "Roar". Yeah so I'll agree it has a unique kinda sound to it, sort of cool actually. Makes me feel like I'm doing the whole "Toyota cutting edge hybrid" thing but I wouldn't describe it as a roar by any means. Now to be fair I'm in S.Texas where things like real hills don't exist so maybe when dealing with that it gets crazier.

• Road/wind noise. See this come up a lot. Again, in my now real world experience I don't see it. I suppose it's a bit louder than your average 4 door being that it's a van and all but I really don't notice much of anything unusual.

• Weird Brakes. Another one I'm unsure what people mean by this. I'm getting pretty old now, driven a whole lot of different vehicles in my life and I don't see any difference in braking a Sienna compared to anything else I've driven.

Random crap -

Dealer addons suck man. My $350 premium floor mats (technically an unwanted port option) stayed in the van all of one day before I replaced them with some awesome recommended all weathers from these forums. Those things are a steal at that price, they should be charging $400 for them.

Being charged for window tinting thats already been installed before being delivered to the dealer..lol, I called them out on this one and was told "Well we remove all that factory tint and give you whatever legal level you want" I was like yeah I know the deal, it's fine. Just go ahead and tint the driver/passenger to match and I'm good.

If you get that "Vehicle Protection Plan" stuff for like $400ish it's just going to be a tube with toyotas colors on it called paint renewer cleaner. Don't put that stuff on your brand new van. You can look at reviews or youtube videos explaining why you should just toss it. I threw two coats of meguiars hybrid ceramic wax on there, done. Stuffs great.

Spare tire was a huge issue to me. Priced out the kit, figured I'd do the install myself.. seems to be a bit of a pain to get ordered and you still need to make sure you located the correct tire for it.. annoying but doable. Turns out the wife though liked the little 8th seat storage bay you lose when installing that kit so again, through these boards I found this dude instead. Beautiful. In all my years 90% of the time I've had a flat it's walking to the garage in the morning and finding the car with a tire shot and having to toss the spare on so I can go fixx it real quick. The idea of walking out, finding a flat and actually having to call for service because I literally can't do anything about it bothered the hell out of me. This solution solves that worry and is nice and clean so I can just toss it in the back for long trips. Easy.

The 8 seater vs 7. I only ever really found a couple of videos talking about this and had wondered why I would go with the 7 when I can just grab the 8 and remove it whenever I want to use 7... well now I know. Somehow either those videos didn't cover it or I just missed that the 8th seat when removed still leaves that middle platform it attaches to there in the way.
Bit of a disappointment. The wife and the kids are already hopping over it but it kinda sucks that its there... in the way. The reality though is it wouldn't have mattered. In all my searching I never one time saw a 7 seater allocation anyways so it's not like I could have gotten one.

Somehow I missed the Sienna also having ACC (adaptive cruise). I thought only the Odyssey had it, good surprise.

Just got a new gray Limited....
Like you hadn't driven one ever..
Very different watching the battery charging on the ECO charging screen..

May get floor mats

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yeah I actually test drove one. I also test drove a RAV4. I don't get the complaints either about the engine. Does it have as much acceleration as a v6 car well obviously no, but I didn't have any issue getting up to speed on an on ramp or passing.

It was a little noiser than the RAV4 (which was super quiet) bit still way less noise than my compact car. And let's be real, you have a minivan cause of kids, they going to be noiser than the van..

Congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
21 Sienna AWD Plat Silver
1,232 Posts
FWIW, G4 Sienna has 0 to 60 of 7.6 seconds or so. Our 2011 C300 has 0 to 60 of 7.1 seconds. If you ask me, I can't tell the difference. Actually, Sienna feels a little faster since eCVT doesn't need gear transitions.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Congratulations! I agree with you on the engine power, driving dynamics, and road/wind noise. For the sake of semantic accuracy, these are "adequate for the purpose" - if you see your van as a competent family mover and/or a work vehicle.

The nonsense with the brakes is true, unfortunately, but it either doesn't affect every vehicle, or some people just don't notice it.

And I am glad you like the Blueprint; I hate it, but that's what was available to me on my budget and in that timeframe.

Regarding that spare: If you go by the book with the rim and tire, the budget is about $300 for the rim, $150 for the tire incl. mounting and balancing, $300 for the conversion kit + 2 hours of work and perhaps a few tools if you do it yourself (not rocket science). I would recommend, though, that you hurry with the conversion kit, as they have been discontinued (as per some sellers), so there may be only a limited supply available.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
FWIW, G4 Sienna has 0 to 60 of 7.6 seconds or so. Our 2011 C300 has 0 to 60 of 7.1 seconds. If you ask me, I can't tell the difference. Actually, Sienna feels a little faster since eCVT doesn't need gear transitions.
That's more then sufficient.

Don't know when it came fashionable to have sub par 0-60 for minivans. :)

Want fast 0-60... get a sports car.

Want good 0-60 AND great mileage... get current gen Sienna.

Our Sienna is actually faster then neighbour's Outback... he was not too impressed when we actually tested and confirmed that!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I saw a minivan test and the Sienna has the second best throttle response doing 60km/h to 120km/h because of the electric motors. The pure gas cars had downshift delays.

I do find the braking a bit weird but I got used to it. I am used to doing a chauffer stop but can't really do that. The sienna actually tested the second best stopping distance anyway with 1 passenger and fully loaded.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts

Our Sienna is actually faster then neighbour's Outback... he was not too impressed when we actually tested and confirmed that!!
Ain't this the truth. Older forumers will surely remember that only ONE human generation ago around 200 hp was what you got with your minivan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And I am glad you like the Blueprint; I hate it, but that's what was available to me on my budget and in that timeframe.
While technically I think the white looks awesome and makes the most sense in a place like Texas this state is already an ocean filled with white Siennas, I wanted something different. I'll say this though, this Blueprint (and I've now read the red as well) has to be the most delicate paint I've ever dealt with and is something people should really know before buying. This frigging paint gets a scratch if you even look in it's general direction too hard. I have some good scratch polish I've already had to use like 3 times that luckily has been taking care of it but now the front area under the light has a scuff mark I think my sons backpack caused. If I was ever going to finally spend a couple grand putting a paint film on something it would be this blueprint.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Agree about the paint.

Was working with some foamboard and had to cut a smidge. It fell on front of Sienna and voila... a nice pin hole in paint :(

I could have blown it away so as not to hit but didn't think it would do anything, lesson learned.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Also have a blueprint and it was not my color choice but my wifes. It scratches so easily it is annoying. Also it does not look as electric blue as in photos on Toyota's website. We bought it without being able to see it in person. I wonder if there is even a clear coat on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah I actually test drove one. I also test drove a RAV4. I don't get the complaints either about the engine. Does it have as much acceleration as a v6 car well obviously no, but I didn't have any issue getting up to speed on an on ramp or passing.

It was a little noiser than the RAV4 (which was super quiet) bit still way less noise than my compact car. And let's be real, you have a minivan cause of kids, they going to be noiser than the van..

Congrats on the new ride!
I believe the new Sienna hybrid has the same or faster 0-60 as the older 266 horsepower Sienna (2010-2016). The 296 horse 2017-2020 Sienna is faster.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Also have a blueprint and it was not my color choice but my wifes. It scratches so easily it is annoying. Also it does not look as electric blue as in photos on Toyota's website. We bought it without being able to see it in person. I wonder if there is even a clear coat on it.
We have that color too. Depends on the lighting, photographers/photo shoppers accentuate the colors. It has a clear coat. It does show things very easy, especially bird poop. small film left over after properly removing it, waxing the spot, etc. I've had other cars makes do that too.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Exactly. The look on the eyes when your Minivan is faster than their car, LOL. Just got beat by a minivan at the light, ha! ha!
My Infiniti G sports coupe is 5.3 seconds std, mine is modified. Yeah, I can tell diff when I drive that. My GTO is 4.6 seconds (stock) mine is modified.
After driving those the Sienna feels avg to slow, but it's what you are used to.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Random crap -

The brake feel is noticeable and not that great esp at low speeds, you get used to it. Kind of over sensitive feeling. Road noise, it's there at highway speeds, but it's not horrendous, but it's not a luxury car. Acceleration is pretty good for a 4cylinder in a nearly 4,600 lb car. (my Lincoln town car is lighter at only 4300+ lbs). We made sure our Sienna has the spare donut tire. Piece of mind just in case. Fix a flat stuff doesn't always work, than it ruins your TPMS sensor in the rim. Previous models with All wheel drive had no spare tire option at all. We would always buy a donut and have to lug in passenger area. We have had to use it before. Run flats don't last forever they die at 50 miles or less, where as donut spare can be driven on for awhile if need be.

·
Registered
2022 XLE 8
217 Posts
I had the 190hp 2nd gen Sienna as a daily driver for seven years, prior to that my daily drivers over the previous 25 years had a 4 cylinder. When pressed hard, engine noise isn't too obnoxious compared to the other cars. Acceleration is fine when needed in a burst, but usually trying to keep the Power needle in the Eco zone.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Most of the time, to my eye it looks like dull black or dark navy. It is only in certain light conditions the color can be described as "dark blue". And of course a few hours after car wash it looks grimy. This dull color is unflattering to the sculpted curves and the decorative elements, especially in the back (comparing to the white version).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Most of the time, to my eye it looks like dull black or dark navy. It is only in certain light conditions the color can be described as "dark blue". And of course a few hours after car wash it looks grimy. This dull color is unflattering to the sculpted curves and the decorative elements, especially in the back (comparing to the white version).
Yep, similar to Black. The dark blue, looks great washed but shortly after, dust/dirt, looks bad.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Yep, similar to Black. The dark blue, looks great washed but shortly after, dust/dirt, looks bad.
If Sparkollz is still alive and functional after the extended warranty expires at 125K miles, I might consider having it wrapped in a nice, solid, no-adjective color. Like "green", or "blue", or "red". Maybe even the kind of blue that Toyota parades on their webpage - just to troll Toyota, if nothing else :)

But seriously, how hard would have been to post the correct, real-world picture with the true representation of the color, knowing full well that so many people have to buy the van sight unseen?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts