Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, folks, here's a little head-scratcher that I'm not even sure the folks at the local Toyota dealer have 100% figured out.

On the leading edge of the right rear wheel well is what appears to be a rigid "flap" hanging about four inches below the well. Its attached to the wheel well via two 10mm bolts on a curved plastic piece that follows the interior of the wheel well, about 18" long, with a connecting flange that attaches via bolt from the underside just behind the jack location on the frame.

On my Sienna, somehow, the flange tore and the lower part of this curved piece is now loose, and at some point allowed the "flap" to be torn/broken off. The two attaching bolts are still there and intact. I just need this "flap," but danged if I can find any part or drawing that remotely describes it correctly. I've been to local junkyards and none of them have any Siennas of this vintage.

I went to the local Toyota parts place and the guys there spent the better part of twenty minutes looking through their parts drawings trying to ID this part for me. I even showed them a picture of the corresponding piece on the driver's side. Finally, they found a diagram of what looks like the piece, attached to what is described as a "fuel filler insulator." On the surface, though, this makes no sense - there's obviously no fuel filler neck on the passenger side. But, dang it, the drawing looks as close to the actual part as what I could find - the piece I'm looking for is at the lower right part of the picture in the drawing linked below:

Illustration of "flap" from Toyota part catalog

Picture of part from driver's side (forward edge of wheel well).

The catalog lists two pieces, and the Toyota parts guys concluded they were left and right side, but the catalog nomenclature lists them as "upper" pieces for the fuel filler neck. The name of the piece makes no sense for the passenger side application. Before I plunk down $35+ plus shipping for the part, does anyone else out there have a better idea what this thing is, and if, in fact, it really is named in a manner completely unrelated to its actual function?

Told ya it was a head scratcher LOL :)

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I see it on my 06, I have no clue either. Maybe you can fashion one from a piece of aluminum or even a mud guard of sorts. It would be cheaper I think. Plenty mud guards at salvage yards.

·
Registered
623 Posts
There are actually three 10mm screws holding this little flap in place. One is underneath and not easily seen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are actually three 10mm screws holding this little flap in place. One is underneath and not easily seen.
Thanks
I see it on my 06, I have no clue either. Maybe you can fashion one from a piece of aluminum or even a mud guard of sorts. It would be cheaper I think. Plenty mud guards at salvage yards.
Thanks, Paul. I checked around several yards here and they have next to no Sienna's. Closest one was waaay too old. I'll just keep looking, I suppose! Appreciate your reply.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I checked around several yards here and they have next to no Sienna's. Closest one was waaay too old. I'll just keep looking...
You're absolutely right about there not being very many Siennas in the junk yards, but don't give up. When I first got my Sienna it took several tries before I finally got my tail light lens, navigation system, replacements for broken/missing cigarette lighter jacks and roof rack rail adjustment thumb screw.

Just a heads up, but the other day I went to a yard that said they only had one Gen 2 which was a 2006, but I found another in a separate section of the yard and was able to get one part I'd been searching quite a while for. Since their stock lists are usually pretty questionable, go to the yards that allow you in and walk the aisles. At least part of the time it pays off.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Shinmai,
I went to the junk yard here in Miami and there were about four siennas 04 and 05. I was able to get one of those flap thingy for David. I basically search LKQ salvage yards and from their various locations one is able to check the inventory at any location. I find LKQ is fairly organized as they show the row and space number of their vehicles. LKQ apperar to be nationwide.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Shinmai,
I went to the junk yard here in Miami and there were about four siennas 04 and 05. I was able to get one of those flap thingy for David. I basically search LKQ salvage yards and from their various locations one is able to check the inventory at any location. I find LKQ is fairly organized as they show the row and space number of their vehicles. LKQ apperar to be nationwide.
You're awesome. Thank you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I need to give Paul R a HUGE shout out for his fantastic effort in getting this mystery flap found and sent to me!!! Thanks seem hardly adequate for the effort he undertook to get this part and send it to me.

I am prepping a YouTube video on my DIY channel on this repair and will post a link once I finish it. The part Paul sent fit like a glove!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
So, important question... Did you find the part number embossed on the piece to see if it was indeed the part the Toyota guy found in his book?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts