Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I brought my struts to a machine shop to compress the springs, reuse the springs and replace the struts and uppers.

I provided them a diagram from Toyota on the strut and the procedure from tsienna, Toyota Sienna Service Manual: Reassembly - Front shock absorber with coil spring - Suspension.

Font Drawing Auto part Circle Parallel

Both Toyota's diagram and tsienna shows the upper, item 12 , ( triangle shape ) flat side points out.

ugh! I believe mine, the point of the triangle points out!

How can I be for sure? Is item 12 marked on what the "out" is? Or can I pick any point of item 12 to point out?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Part 12 is the strut mount. The Studs on the strut mount point up and go through holes is the body (you have to remove the windshield wipers and plastic paneling under the hood to access. I'm not exactly sure what you're saying about the "flat side points out" in the picture. The picture clearly shows the studs pointing up (or "out").

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automotive tire Road surface Rim Asphalt Gas

this is a picture of the old mount, what side points Out ?

I understand that the bolt point up … but what side points out towards the wheel?

I do notice that there is a flat slot ( key ) is ( where the strut shaft goes through … and assumingI use this to point out ?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Got it, sorry for completely misunderstanding your question, I literally thought they had put the mount on upside down somehow (which I was very confused about). All that said, I unfortunately can't help you. On the replacement ones that I got, there was an arrow as mentioned by sbihue.

·
Registered
60 Posts
View attachment 58930

this is a picture of the old mount, what side points Out ?

I understand that the bolt point up … but what side points out towards the wheel?

I do notice that there is a flat slot ( key ) is ( where the strut shaft goes through … and assumingI use this to point out ?
That "flat slot" was cut in that strut top by someone. It is NOT OEM.

As far as which side points out? On all vehicles I've ever worked on if there is a side that needs to point a certain way the three nut holes have been drilled so that only fits one way. If it doesn't natter then the holes were all equidistant.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I did a left strut on an Audi a few months ago where the mounts require a specific orientation during assembly and they are clearly marked to assist with that. See if there is a similar visual reference (dimple/arrow etc.) on the underside of the mount. If none, then it probably doesn't need to be oriented and you can use any of the three triangular points to point in the forward direction.

If it is an aftermarket mount where the thickness on the mount varies on different sides then refer to the literature from the manufacturer. This pic from Toyota's 2011 Sienna Strut assembly directions does not all for any orientation either so it is fair to assume you don;t need one with the OE strut mounts.

Still not sure, stop by at your dealership and ask a mechanic or talk to the parts guy to print you the assembly instructions

Font Parallel Rectangle Auto part Diagram

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
568 Posts
I did a left strut on an Audi a few months ago where the mounts require a specific orientation during assembly and they are clearly marked to assist with that. See if there is a similar visual reference (dimple/arrow etc.) on the underside of the mount. If none, then it probably doesn't need to be oriented and you can use any of the three triangular points to point in the forward direction.

If it is an aftermarket mount where the thickness on the mount varies on different sides then refer to the literature from the manufacturer. This pic from Toyota's 2011 Sienna Strut assembly directions does not all for any orientation either so it is fair to assume you don;t need one with the OE strut mounts.

Still not sure, stop by at your dealership and ask a mechanic or talk to the parts guy to print you the assembly instructions

View attachment 58933
Those instructions do show the two drilled holes which are not symmetrical and so the orientation could be assumed from them, if it matters

I provided them a diagram from Toyota on the strut and the procedure from tsienna, Toyota Sienna Service Manual: Reassembly - Front shock absorber with coil spring - Suspension.
Note that tsienna.net is for a 2nd gen Sienna, not third gen. Comparing that to the 3rd gen FSM, the struts are different with different parts, and so tsienna.net instructions cannot be used for a 3rd gen strut.

@sbihue posted a snippet of the 3rd gen instructions above.

You can get FSM info for a 3rd gen (or any gen) at techinfo.toyota.com. Not free, but you can get a 2-day sub for $20 and download whatever you like during that two day period for future reference.

Which slot are you referring to? There is a cut in the mount that looks like someone took a cutoff wheel to the nut on the top of the strut at one point, cutting into the mount as they cut the nut off. That would have nothing to do with alignment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts