Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the battery died and was replaced, the navigation system in my 2005 Sienna XLE AWD displayed the following message Insert Map DVD. The navigation system had been working fine previously, and I have never removed the map dvd. The problem is that I am unable to eject the original map dvd (in the hopes I can just reinsert it and reset the system) Is there some "trick" I'm missing to get the map disk to eject????

Any ideas would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am having this problem as well. i just got my 2008 sienna and the dealership said that we just need to buy the disc. We got one on ebay but as of right now, NOTHING works. The back up camera, the maps, the speakers and the radio won't work. :(

Any help is appreaciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My nav randomly started saying "can't read nav dvd"... I disconnected the car battery for 10 minutes to reboot the system and now it just reads "insert disc" even though the disc is in... This screen stays on full time so the backup camera doesn't show anymore and my steering wheel radio controls don't work either, except for the volume buttons. I've searched all over and can't find a solution. If anyone's found one, please let us know! Thanks.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Be prepared to get new radios. My father in law had the same problem he ended up replacing his model 7007 Navi radio with a referb unit approx
$875.00. Sorry.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did anyone ever figure this out? I have a 2005 Sienna and mine is displaying the same message. Backup camera doesn't work now either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello.
Here is my story.
I have a 2006 Sienna.
We came up with the great idea of putting our 2010 Prius NAV disk into the 2006 Sienna for an upcoming trip.
Well it got stuck on "can't read nav dvd" (or something like that.) The NAV system was working fine up until this point.
Nothing I tried to do got the NAV dvd to come out until...
I pulled the 20A radio fuse out of the fuse box (under the hood, next to the battery). I could have disconnected the battery but pulling the fuse was way easier. There is a little white fuse puller located in the box too.

I verified the radio was not powering up with the key on. I the turned key switch back to off.
I reinserted the fuse.
I turned on the ignition and then was finally able to eject the dvd.
I'm a little foggy on exactly what I did but I believe the unit gave me the option of ejecting the dvd while I was repeatedly pressing the eject button.
I hope this helps someone!
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
My system stopped working after a dead battery replacement. Has anyone figured out how to reset the system?
Hi Minni.

Can you tell me what is the radio doing when you turn the car on?
The easiest way to reset it is to pull the radio fuse out for about 20 seconds.
It's possible the radio did not reset properly when the battery was charging.

Please let me know if I can help.
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks Mark, for the reply. I did some additional research and found out that once the radio loses battery power it goes into a theft mode which locks out the radio. The only way to unlock radio is to insert the navigation dvd. I purchased a navigation disk from ebay and found out that map dvd will accept the disk but will not play it. It tries to play the disk but makes a terrible noise and ejects the disk. The radio, backup camera, and cd player all functioned fine before the battery died. I'm lost at this point.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The problem is that your DVD Drive is worn out. When you disconnected the Battery, the Navigation Computer lost power. When reconnecting the battery, the Navigation computer was not able to read the software from the DVD Drive so no functions of the Navigation System work. The most economical solution I found was to remove the system and send to Victor at Vns4less in Sacramento.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flCsB8sOBdk

The link below is for his service. Replacing the DVD Drive cost somewhere in the 300-350 Range. Call Victor at
(916)222-4746 and he can troubleshoot your problem over the phone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2009-Toyota-Sienna-OEM-GPS-NAVIGATION-SYTEM-REPAIR-SERVICE-WARRANTY-/121279340917

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think I agree with pfflyguy.
Just to confirm, were you running the radio without a NAV DVD?
What version DVD did you purchase on ebay?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
9 Posts
To update this thread. I did infact send my radio to Victor and VNS4less. He repaired it and I'm waiting to install. Will update again once installed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I just bought a used Toyota Siena 2008 and when I got the Car the owner took out the Navigation DVD and after a week he gave it to me, when I try to insert it, the DVD is being rejected all the time, even I bought a DVD Cleaner and I also clean the DVD but it still does work (keep rejecting the DVD)
Does any one have an idea what to do? thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
This may be a bit late for some but may help others. I had the same issue on a 2009 Venza. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. I reconnected the battery and after the third attempt it worked. Everything. Map radio and back up camera. After the first 2 tries, I never started the car, only turned on the ACC. The third time I started the car and after about a minute, the navigation lit up and said "Loading System In Progress, Do Not Turn Off Power" Then there it was. You have to reset the radio channels and clock and basically the entire nav system. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. Map DVD reject. Pulled the 15 amp fuse a couple times and tried again. Did not help after the second time i pulled the fuse for a couple minutes I forced the DVD to stay in by holding it in with a couple of keys on my chain. I finally lit up and loaded and now back to working after it loaded the info from the map dvd.

Worth a try it worked for me. I was about to by a reman one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem is that your DVD Drive is worn out. When you disconnected the Battery, the Navigation Computer lost power. When reconnecting the battery, the Navigation computer was not able to read the software from the DVD Drive so no functions of the Navigation System work. The most economical solution I found was to remove the system and send to Victor at Vns4less in Sacramento.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flCsB8sOBdk

The link below is for his service. Replacing the DVD Drive cost somewhere in the 300-350 Range. Call Victor at
(916)222-4746 and he can troubleshoot your problem over the phone

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-2009-Toyota-Sienna-OEM-GPS-NAVIGATION-SYTEM-REPAIR-SERVICE-WARRANTY-/121279340917
I just wanted to let everyone know that I contacted Victor at VNS to repair the DVD drive in my 2008 Highlander. He fixed it promptly and the communication was great! He replied to all my text messages and we had our stereo/navigation/backup camera working right away. I highly recommend his services.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this post is old but I can share my solution to this frustrating situation of the map DVD clicking when inserting and nothing loading.

SUMMARY SOLUTION - what I did was to use a can of compressed air to fix and hold upside down. Use at your own discretion and risk.

Even though this is an old post I am going to add my experience. I have a 2010 Highlander Limited with Navigation. It uses the maps disc from Toyota. Apparently over time and not necessarily a long time, there is a nylon gear in the unit which will not allow the disc to start spinning properly to load once the disc is ejected and put back in. The disc is needed running in the slot for the navigation to work. If the disc is missing or not able to be loaded properly then the navigation will not work. The proper loading of the disc apparently is part of the anti-theft system as well. If the navigation doesn't work but your radio and back-up camera works then the radio has not entered the anti-theft mode which happens when there is no longer power to the radio/nav unit. You know that happens when the entire head unit is not working at all - no radio, no back up camera, and can't get into any control, or menu screens. All you can do (in my case) is open/close the screen to access the navigation DVD slot. Like this OP says, he ejected the Navi DVD and now when he puts it back in, the unit grabs the DVD like it should but when it goes into the slot and should be loading all he can hear is a clicking noise like it is trying to load - read back about the nylon gear which has stripped at least a tooth or two. Mine was doing this.
So, in my case, I searched online and read that some have fixed this problem by 'thumping - tapping - slapping - beating' on the deck while the disc is clicking. This probably is best done by removing the trim and 4 bolts holding the unit in place then, without removing any wires (remember about removing power will trigger the anti-theft feature), hit, thump, tap, etc the unit while it is clicking. This may allow the unit to have that stripped gear grab the next tooth and begin to load properly. I did this with no luck while others had luck.
So, somewhere online i read where someone had some luck with compressed air in a can so i gave that a try. I had a can already in the garage so I started with that. It was your regular can of compressed air and had a 5-6 inch red tube. Holding the can upright as the DVD was clicking I inserted the red tube and blasted the air full trigger in the DVD slit back and forth. Did this several times all while the DVD was clicking away with no luck. The can was not full so only after 5-6 tries it ran out. Keep in mind that because the red tube was so long that I was able to keep the can upright which only blows air from the top and not the liquid propellant that is at the bottom of the can.
Since my air ran out I went to Walmart to get another can. The ones there only come with a about an inch and a half tube but I bought it anyway knowing I had a longer tube at home. This is relevant because the longer tube allows it to be inserted in the DVD opening while the screen is horizontal and the can stays upright but while using the short tube you have to hold the compressed air can upside down which means the liquid propellant will come out of the tube. While the compressed air is dry and warm while using the long tube and holding the can upright, what comes out with the can upside down is wet and very very cold and has substance. Since my long red tube at home wouldn't fit the new can I said what the hec and blasted away with the can upside down, while the DVD was clicking, going back and forth just like before, except this time the DVD quit clicking and the DVD sounded like it was loading.
It didn't load but the clicking stopped. The screen finally closed on its own but didn't load information. The screen stayed the same. I figured that the extreme cold easily could have literally frozen something and needed a few minutes to 'thaw' out. After about 2 minutes, with much trepidation, I pressed the open/close button on the frame and the screen opened and the DVD ejected. The DVD was still very very cold to the touch and has frost on it. I wiped off the frost and gave the DVD about a minute or so to get to the outside temp. During this time, the deck itself I'm sure began to 'thaw' out also.
I inserted the now warmed back up DVD and no clicking. The screen door closed and DVD started loading and the screen showed the loading progress. Once it was loaded and the deck reset itself, the Toyota logo came up and the navigation showed the map of my house/street, the radio worked, the back camera worked, and all functions were restored.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts