Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Some of these are not particularly good photos taken in my garage.

This photo shows where I mounted the Hella headlight washer kit relay and 15 amp fuse holder in the existing M6 thread holes in the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
This rather poor photo shows two aspects:

1) routing the hoses from the washer nozzles across the bumper beam towards the washer fluid container.

2) routing the electrical cables from the Hella relay on the passenger side of the engine compartment to the driver side along the bumper beam.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This is a photo of the Hella kits positive and negative wires attached to the battery terminals per the instructions. I decided against using the common ground near where I mounted the relay and to instead follow the instructions for a change.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Here is a view of the Hella kit pump from under the Sienna with the under body panel removed. The pump is simply inserted into a grommet in that 20mm hole I drilled with a Forstner-like drill bit. The plastic pump shaft is tapered so that it presses firmly against the grommet as it is inserted thereby producing a leak-free seal.

This photo also shows the thick wall hose that is provided in the kit. It has to have thick walls so that the walls don't flex when the pump pushes fluid at high pressure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
The first two photos show the optional socket and pigtail for the Ulincos momentary switch and the portion of the dashboard under-structure that I had to cut out with a coping saw to provide clearance for it. (Edit: I used a keyhole saw instead of a coping saw.)

The third photo shows how I connected the Ulincos switch pigtail to the Hella wiring harness. I have so far been unsuccessful in connecting the LED switch light to the dashboard lighting rheostat. I tried wiring the switch's LED directly to a 12V source without rheostat control but it is far too bright when at maximum brightness.

I pulled the wires for the Ulincos switch from the engine compartment into the interior through the same grommet above the gas pedal through which I pulled the wires for the rear fog light. Click on the rear foglight link in my signature for a photo of the grommet from the engine compartment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
These two images are of symbols that I may attempt to apply to the round rear fog light and headlight washer switch buttons depending if I can find appropriate double sided, heat resistant clear tape and if I can resize the images small enough to fit on the small buttons.

I have for now abandoned adding additional washer nozzles for the high beam headlights due to the amount of washer fluid used by only two nozzles.

I may put a video on YouTube that shows how well the Hella kit cleans the Sienna headlights but there are already plenty of other videos showing the Hella kit in use on other makes of vehicles.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,501 Posts
With as much icing as we get, anything popup on the front bumper is more likely to end up as a frozen-down-in-place. Simple is better....

How does 'at speed' airflow over the front bumper impact the spray pattern? Did you have to aim or place the nozzles a bit off to encourage fluid to land where you wanted it?

Nice job!

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Looks like the project is wrapping up.

You can design your own custom switch here ...https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/products/22mm-wipers-symbol-billet-push-button-switch-windscreen
Thank you! I had no idea there was a company that could supply custom buttons with whatever I want on the faces at such low cost. They even have the buttons in the 19mm hole size I need. Wonderful! And I especially like the sample "Start Ya Bastard" button! Leave it up to an Australian to come up with these products.

I'll probably "give it a rest" for now and get custom buttons a little later ... but not much later. I know that there is room for one of these custom buttons where I have the headlight washer button but maybe not where I have my rear foglight button since the back of the rear vent switch might be in the way.

I got this project finished just in time - during a warm snap right before we go back into winter and three days before I found out I need to be on crutches for 2+ months. Getting down on my creeper to roll around on the garage floor just got a lot more difficult.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
With as much icing as we get, anything popup on the front bumper is more likely to end up as a frozen-down-in-place. Simple is better....
I don't think that problem is very common. The pop-up headlight washers on our 2012 Prius have never frozen up. They pop-up with remarkable force. OEM pop-up washer nozzles are available on many vehicles including most Lexus models in a cold weather package, and on most Mercedes, Audi and Volvo vehicles.

How does 'at speed' airflow over the front bumper impact the spray pattern? Did you have to aim or place the nozzles a bit off to encourage fluid to land where you wanted it?
I tried to aim the water jets as much as possible like the Swiss Sienna importer does. My assumption was that the Swiss company has it all figured out since it has installed this kit on many Sienna. American vehicles have long been unusually popular in Switzerland. One of my Swiss coworkers who was on temporary assignment at the Kansas office where I worked took a Ford Expedition back to Switzerland when his U.S. assignment ended. Another took a Harley Davidson motorcycle back to Switzerland.

I aimed the center of the spray as close as I could to the middle of where the headlight beam exits the plastic lens which is why the nozzles are rotated inward on the bumper cover. (The nozzles are not adjustable left and right - a locator tab fits in the smaller of the two holes drilled in the bumper cover.) The force of the headlight washer spray is far greater than that of windshield washers and the distance between the headlight washer nozzle and the headlight lens is very short. I doubt that air flow at highway speeds is going to have much if any effect on the high pressure spray. I made the mistake of standing in front of the driver side headlight when I tested the system by touching its activation wire to the battery positive terminal - the spray bouncing back from the headlight lens gave me quite a drenching.

Actually, the distance between headlight washer nozzles and the lenses is less than the minimum specified in the Hella kit's instructions but the downward slope of the bumper cover surfaces where the nozzles are mounted prevents this from being a problem. This fixed nozzle kit would not work on the Sienna if the surfaces of the bumper cover under the headlights were horizontal instead of sloped downward although one of the Hella kits of the pop-up type would work.

Nice job!
Thanks. These types of projects are rewarding although I'm continually perturbed that these and other useful features are not available from the factory. The retail price of the cold weather package on some Lexus models is only $350 and includes other features besides headlight washers. I would have gladly paid $350 just to get factory installed headlight washers on the Sienna.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
The custom 19mm round momentary headlight washer button arrived today from Billet Buttons in Australia. (Thanks again, sbihue, for telling me about this business!)

The product was extremely well packaged - really "over the top" packaging with the switch, socket and o-ring in a little zip lock bag, wrapped in bubble wrap, inside a corrugated card box which was inside a sturdy shipping envelope. The package included the invoice, a hard plastic credit card size card with very clear wiring instructions on one side and a stick-on advertising graphic like somewhat might stick on a race car body.

I supplied an image of a headlight washer graphic when I ordered the button and told the proprietor in a follow-up email that it was OK with me if he found a better one. I don't know if used my graphic or another one but button face came out what I consider to be perfect - sharp and clear with the image being as large as possible.

I hope to get this button installed soon replacing the similar size Ulincos 19mm round button I'm currently using. I found instructions on a Toyota FJ Cruiser forum on how to wire a lighted button to the dashboard light rheostat. It will be easier if the Sienna has the same wire colors for the button light as the FJ Cruiser but I'm not counting on it. I should be able to identify the rheostat wire colors since all the OEM buttons should have the same rheostat wire colors - it's a process of elimination. The Billet button has a green LED encircling the push button. I would have preferred a back lit button but at least the green LED circle of the Billet Button might somewhat match the color of the existing OEM switch back lights.

This 19mm Billet Button has two output wires which might be handy for some applications but only one is needed for mine. The instructions include a caution against using this button without a relay. Little buttons like this are only triggering devices via relays and are not designed to withstand the high current draw of a headlight washer pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Attached are photos of the custom momentary headlight washer switch from Billet Buttons installed. As I suspected, it is exactly the same switch as one one sold on Amazon.com under the Ulincos brand except that one of the wires on the Billet Buttons socket is a different color. It was easy to just unplug the already wired-in Ulincos socket from the Ulincos switch and plug the socket into the Billet Buttons switch.

I had not wired the Ulincos switch socket into the dashboard light rheostat circuit so I did that today when I installed the Billet Button switch.

It was easy to identify the color of the positive side of the dashboard rheostat circuit since the only wire color common to all switches is GREEN - same color that was said to be the positive on a Tacoma forum.

Identifying the negative side of the rheostat circuit was trickier. Four of the five OEM lighted switches in the panel have a WHITE wire with the rear side window switch being the one that doesn't. Four of the five OEM lighted switches have a WHITE/BLACK STRIPE wire with the BSM switch being the one that doesn't. So ... I threw caution to the wind and touched the negative (black) wire from the Ulincos/Billet Button socket to the pin for the WHITE/BLACK STRIPE wire and then to the pin for the WHITE wire in the back of the socket for the adjacent beam control switch. Bingo! The WHITE wire on the beam control switch turned out to be the negative rheostat wire that causes the OEM switches to dim when the rheostat control switch on the tachometer is turned.

The slightly bad news is that the LED ring in the Billet Button switch does not dim as much as I would like. I had hoped that its light intensity would be similar to the OEM buttons as the rheostat switch is turned through its range. Next time I drive at night, I'll see if the Billet Button switch light level is too bright. It might acceptable while driving at night even though it looks too bright in a totally dark garage. It might also help that the Billet Button switch is hidden from my direct view by the steering wheel hub. I can always disconnect the Billet Button LED from the rheostat circuit if I decide I don't like it.

There should be one or two more posts in this thread before I consider this project complete. Because I'm activating the Hella headlight washers only manually from a switch instead of automatically via a connection to the windshield washers, the amount of washer fluid that will be used for cleaning the headlights should be a lot less. Because less washer fluid will be used, I plan to "T in" the two additional provided washer nozzles so that the high beam headlights will also be cleaned. So ... I'll be removing/reinstalling the front bumper cover again in the next few weeks and drilling holes for the high beam washer nozzles - should take less than one hour.

Edit: It's mid-April 2018 and Winter is "over" disregarding the recent light snowfall. l continue to vacillate on whether or not to install washer nozzles for the high beam headlights. Due to making the headlight washers completely manual instead of linking them to the windshield washers, washing the low beam headlights has used very little fluid due to the powerful blast of fluid produced by the Hella pump and that only the briefest touch of the push button switch is needed. I really like the idea of not having to worry about replenishing washer fluid on long winter trips.

And would having perfectly clean high beam headlights be that important if conditions are bad enough to require washing the low beam headlights? Would I be driving that fast in such poor conditions?

So ... for now I'm going to forget about adding washer nozzles for the high beam headlights. I may feel differently after going through a full Winter with only the low beam washers.

Edit: Add better daytime photo showing additional dashboard switches.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
What an amazing install. It says alot your wife had enough confidence in your skills to allow you to try all this. Even though I'm an electrical engineer, there is no way my wife would allow me to attempt anything like this unless it was on my "ancient" 2013 Prius with almost 200k miles on it...... thank u for sharing - it looks very professional.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts