Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

does anyone have the integrated dash cam installed?

Does it use the existing cameras on the sienna or is it a new camera?

please let me know your thoughts I just got my Sienna and know that Dash cams are a mush have in todays world.

· Registered
201 Posts
I don't use the OEM dash cam but here's what I did...

I won't go into detail on how to do this as this should be pretty straightforward. The only 3 accessories beside your dash cam of choice (non-OEM) would be the following:
  1. Any hardwiring kit which can easily be purchased from Amazon/Ebay/BestBuy/etc...
    1. Here I used 15ft Micro USB & Mini USB Dash Cam &Type-C Hardwire Kit from Amazon. You don't need everything from it, just the main wiring harness.
  2. Female connector housing(OEM) part# 90980-12366
    1. This I got from https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/ but any sites are fine as long as they give the best discount.
  3. Female terminal 2.54mm spacing
    1. I've tried several ones out there including looking for the OEM version but to no avail so ended up with this which works just as good - Hilitchi 635 Pcs 40 Pin 2.54mm Pitch Single Row Pin Headers, Connector Housing Female, Male/Female Pin Connector Kit (This is same as the one that other users have mentioned - @EricD & @Mikelyons27)
I did not use any special crimping tool, just a pair of scissors to strip the wire sheath and a needle nose plier to crimp to snug fit into the housing. For the position and installation, you can refer to any of these posts: 3rd Party DashCam with OEM Party wiring! or 12v accessory plug for Dash cam or other devices install.

You can also refer to my other Hardwiring Aftermarket Dashcam VIOFO A119 V3 or Any Other Aftermarket Dashcams on how to hide the wires inside the windshield sensor box and utilizing the clip-on the rear mirror neck to make it more OEM-ish.

The reason why I did this is to not having to use the fuse box (when you do you have to store the fuse box cover somewhere which I ended up using the glovebox). And it's just much more cleaner.

Here are the during and after photos - I couldn't have done this without the wonderful people in this community!

· Registered
2020 SE
72 Posts
highly recommend to buy a viofo from blackboxmycar instead. No Tax if you live in the US.

I Trust toyota for reliability, not for technology. Toyota oem dashcams have been shown to burn your sd card due to heat, you need a dashcam resistant to heat.

· Registered
201 Posts
highly recommend to buy a viofo from blackboxmycar instead. No Tax if you live in the US.

I Trust toyota for reliability, not for technology. Toyota oem dashcams have been shown to burn your sd card due to heat, you need a dashcam resistant to heat.
That's exactly the same one I got, it works well enough for this purpose and cost much less than OEM.

· Registered
29 Posts
I have the Integrated Dash Cam, installed it easily myself. It's nice that the wires are hidden, it looks OEM and is out of the way and that it's fully automated. I don't think about it at all. It is it's own entity and does not use the TSS cameras.

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

does anyone have the integrated dash cam installed?

Does it use the existing cameras on the sienna or is it a new camera?

please let me know your thoughts I just got my Sienna and know that Dash cams are a mush have in todays world.
I have the integrated dash cam and it has worked great so far. This is a separate purchase not included in any of the trim levels.

· Registered
2009 Sienna LE FWD & 2021 Sienna LE FWD
144 Posts
I don't use the OEM dash cam but here's what I did...
@123noob I'm impressed you tracked down that connector! i used some breadboard wires (dupont style, with a metal pin) and jammed 'em down into the car's connector from the back side where the wires enter the connector. It works well enough but your solution is primo.

I put on a thinkcam U1000; it has similar specs and performance to the VIOFO mentioned above, but has some cloud features (and costs $400 vs $250.) Handy if you forget where you leave your car 🤪

· Registered
201 Posts
@123noob I'm impressed you tracked down that connector! i used some breadboard wires (dupont style, with a metal pin) and jammed 'em down into the car's connector from the back side where the wires enter the connector. It works well enough but your solution is primo.

I put on a thinkcam U1000; it has similar specs and performance to the VIOFO mentioned above, but has some cloud features (and costs $400 vs $250.) Handy if you forget where you leave your car 🤪
It sure took a while for me to be able to find the right connector, very new at this and it costed me about $30 or so to finally find it but did was worth it. It's so much cleaner and almost as good as professional installed if I say so myself :D.

· Registered
83 Posts
I have the OEM dashcam and like it a lot. very easy to install. details at

· Registered
36 Posts

Hey there! I'm looking into the U1000 myself vs. the OEM and am wondering what your opinion is of the OEM integrated? I'm particularly interested in hardwiring through the OBD-II port (if there even is one under the dash). Since I don't have the Sienna yet until next week (or even the cam) it's hard for me to make an assessment on what I can do here. Thanks in advance!

· Registered
201 Posts
Hey there! I'm looking into the U1000 myself vs. the OEM and am wondering what your opinion is of the OEM integrated? I'm particularly interested in hardwiring through the OBD-II port (if there even is one under the dash). Since I don't have the Sienna yet until next week (or even the cam) it's hard for me to make an assessment on what I can do here. Thanks in advance!
If you have 300 + for OEM dash cam that has the same quality as a 100 dashcam then go for it since it's direct plug and play using the extra blue connector under the head unit. But if you're willing to hardwire a bit using that same port by grabbing a correct female connector and do some simple crimping then you can save a lot of money. The process takes less than 30 mins to do. When I get a chance and it stops raining here, I'll take a pic of my dashcam from outside. Earlier when I looked (for first time from outside), it looked more OEM-ish imo than the actual OEM unit itself :D

· Registered
144 Posts
once I got used to the quirks of the u1000 app, I think I would not be satisfied with the oem. I have cloud features (can find the vehicle location on a map!), 4k front and a rear camera, for $408.50 shipped.

the ADAS features don't seem that useful on the Sienna, except the chime that let's you know the car in front of you is moving. you can zone out in the drive thru and it will alert you to pull forward 😜

the only bad thing is the remote live viewing won't work on a Google pixel phone, but does work on a Samsung. that's weird, as usually non Google phones have app compatibility issues, but I'm sure it'll be fixed on a future update. I also seldom if ever use that feature. I have a blackvue in the old van, I never use the cloud features there...

· Registered
36 Posts
once I got used to the quirks of the u1000 app, I think I would not be satisfied with the oem. I have cloud features (can find the vehicle location on a map!), 4k front and a rear camera, for $408.50 shipped.

the ADAS features don't seem that useful on the Sienna, except the chime that let's you know the car in front of you is moving. you can zone out in the drive thru and it will alert you to pull forward 😜

the only bad thing is the remote live viewing won't work on a Google pixel phone, but does work on a Samsung. that's weird, as usually non Google phones have app compatibility issues, but I'm sure it'll be fixed on a future update. I also seldom if ever use that feature. I have a blackvue in the old van, I never use the cloud features there...
How was the installation for the U1000 for you? Did you end up wiring into the OBD port or just plugging in via 12v plug? Haha as tempted as I was to get the U1000, for now I decided to go with this brand called VAVA. It's a front facing 4K that didn't hurt the wallet too much. Part of me is a little FOMO for not having a rear camera but I suppose I'll get a better feel for how much I want one during my upcoming road trip in the van.

· Registered
144 Posts
@Solfire The installation was really easy, I got power from the factory jack inside the upper console area, as has been described. I ran the wire to the rear along the upper trim. I think it's not in the way of the air bags. I think most of the value in cameras is out the front, as if you are rear ended it is usually clearly their fault; however I really do like the rear cam. Another cheaper option is the VIOFO, a well-regarded 4K camera that can take an optional rear camera. I think the front/rear combo is something like $250, plus the wiring kit is extra, as is the circular polarizing filter which you get along with the u1000.

I've been sold on dash cams since I bought my first $60 cheapie-- the same week a lady missed her turn, stopped, put it in reverse, then backed right into me. THEN DROVE AWAY... I chased her down and she was full of attitude until I pointed out the dash cam. w/o a dash cam it would have been ugly trying to get her to pay. Knock on wood, nothing stupid has happened since.

I am going to wire the u1000 into my lithium battery system, so I can record for a long time while parked. that may prove to be interesting.

· Registered
36 Posts
@Solfire The installation was really easy, I got power from the factory jack inside the upper console area, as has been described. I ran the wire to the rear along the upper trim. I think it's not in the way of the air bags. I think most of the value in cameras is out the front, as if you are rear ended it is usually clearly their fault; however I really do like the rear cam. Another cheaper option is the VIOFO, a well-regarded 4K camera that can take an optional rear camera. I think the front/rear combo is something like $250, plus the wiring kit is extra, as is the circular polarizing filter which you get along with the u1000.

I've been sold on dash cams since I bought my first $60 cheapie-- the same week a lady missed her turn, stopped, put it in reverse, then backed right into me. THEN DROVE AWAY... I chased her down and she was full of attitude until I pointed out the dash cam. w/o a dash cam it would have been ugly trying to get her to pay. Knock on wood, nothing stupid has happened since.

I am going to wire the u1000 into my lithium battery system, so I can record for a long time while parked. that may prove to be interesting.
Damn thank you for this thoughtful write up, I might spring for it after all especially since I don't even know when this VAVA is getting shipped out.

· Registered
11 Posts
@dwkennedy Have you had a chance to hook your U1000 to the lithium battery? I just got the U1000, still wondering if I should get power from the blue connector in the console in the roof. I already got the connector though, but I haven't get the pins yet

Also, has anyone figured out how to open the A-Pillar pane (the panel on the driver side) so that the cable to the rear camera can be routed properly without hindering the airbag operations?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts