Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed on some later model 1st gen sienna the things have moved and went digital along with the lower part of the radio is dummy switches. Is there anyway to convert a 98 1st gen sienna to be like this?

I don't mind if it's tedious as long as it's possible to do. 馃槒馃槉

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Registered
2003 Toyota Sienna XLE
No I do not think so. I was thinking the same thing and I went to the junkyard and got out one of these digital climate control boxes. You would have to do some wiring and wire new sensors and other stuff. On top of that you鈥檇 have to convert the cables from wired cables to be completely electric. It might be possible but you would have to put in a lot of work and strip down your sienna.

Registered
Old Sienna
Count your blessings. When low tech go's haywire you usually can fix it. To be blunt, both styles look old to me. Which is OK as long as it works. After a couple years, the new vehicles with all their functions relying on a touch screen will be in a world of hurt, $$$$, when it fails.

Registered
I'm willing to go through the hassle
The kind of customization you're talking about will likely require a couple grand worth of OEM components from junkyards and possibly a whole new dash, depending on exactly what is connected where. If you're really inclined, you would probably be better off buying a parts Sienna (if you can find one) which has what you're looking for and convert it all over to your van. However, if you're going to go that far, I'd actually go further and migrate to Gen 2 or Gen 3 capability. You're far more likely to find what you're looking for in a newer model because junkyards often crush/scrap anything which has been sitting untouched for a couple years. The one near me has an annual car crush where they crush and get rid of anything that hasn't had a part taken for a year.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The kind of customization you're talking about will likely require a couple grand worth of OEM components from junkyards and possibly a whole new dash, depending on exactly what is connected where. If you're really inclined, you would probably be better off buying a parts Sienna (if you can find one) which has what you're looking for and convert it all over to your van. However, if you're going to go that far, I'd actually go further and migrate to Gen 2 or Gen 3 capability. You're far more likely to find what you're looking for in a newer model because junkyards often crush/scrap anything which has been sitting untouched for a couple years. The one near me has an annual car crush where they crush and get rid of anything that hasn't had a part taken for a year.
The dummy switch customizable is what intrigued me. I guess I'll go hunt for an fj cruiser again. 馃槀馃槶馃槄馃ぃ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.