Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last Sienna was a 2004 -- which had the known glitch of NOT having an automatic shutoff of the interior lights if they were left on by accident. We had our battery run dry on us several times when a child accidently left a door open in the garage, or manually clicked on one of the dome lights and forgot to click it off.

My understanding was that this was FIXED as of 2006.

Well this morning I walked into the garage, and there was my 2010 sienna, which had been sitting there all night long, with one of the interior dome lights still burning. ???
None of us had been in the van that morning.

I'm confused. I thought we had automatic shutoff of interior lights!?

Does that not apply to dome lights that are manually turned on? If so, that is just stupid, as those can be forgotten about even easier than forgetting to close a door.

I need to dig into this, and will post results.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
We have the same problem. If you turn on a dome light individually, it stays on. If you use the oval switch near the steering wheel, it'll go off on its own after a certain time.
My daughter doesn't like the dark, and so we keep one dome light on and always forget to switch it off. It hasn't drained the battery yet but I'm sure that we'll have to replace the bulb soon.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are not comforting responses!! :-[ I was counting on finding out that this was something I could tweak in the car settings.

2006SiennaLE said:
We have the same problem. If you turn on a dome light individually, it stays on. If you use the oval switch near the steering wheel, it'll go off on its own after a certain time.
You mean the "bypass" switch that forces on all the lights? (or off, or leaves it set to "door")

This is going to force me to go back to looking at installing LED lights! I thought that was no longer necessary since the new vans have (I thought) the auto-off feature. :mad:

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I don't think this is something unique to Sienna? If you are intentionally left the light on, it will stay on. The engineers assume you want it on. I am sure some of us would go nuts too if the lights intentionally left on go off every 2o minutes (i.e. the kids were reading books with the engine off while waiting for their mother and the lights kept going out every 20 minutes :))

My other vehicles do the same. If lights were left on, they will stay on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. My Buick Rendezvous would turn off all the lights in like two minutes. It was so annoying when trying to pack/unpack a car in the dark and I would keep having to open and close front doors to make them come back on.

Anyway, you didn't tell us if your van started the next morning or not. If the light was on all night, still burning in the morning, AND the battery was fine, then I think the engineers did make improvements.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kelliebellie said:
Be careful what you wish for. My Buick Rendezvous would turn off all the lights in like two minutes. It was so annoying when trying to pack/unpack a car in the dark and I would keep having to open and close front doors to make them come back on.

Anyway, you didn't tell us if your van started the next morning or not. If the light was on all night, still burning in the morning, AND the battery was fine, then I think the engineers did make improvements.
2 minutes is not the same as 20 -- which is the Sienna cut off. I have no qualms at all about "wishing" for this! :D

Yes, the car started even though the light was on all night. I have no idea how to verify that the "battery was fine" other than the fact that the car started right up.

But remember, that was just one light. There are 6 in the car. (and I have four kids... :eek: ) Who is to say that it would have still started if two had been left on, or three, or if it was 14hrs instead of 8hrs...

I still think I'll be shopping for LED bulbs to replace the interior dome lights.

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
Hmmmm...."last one out of the car makes sure all of the interior lights are OFF, or they are grounded for a week..." Heh, heh.... ::) :eek: :mad: :'( :-\ ;D 8)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Go for the L.E.D. mod, I have the 2004 with the "Glitch" I drained the battery I think three times then installed the LEDs. I have found an led light on overnight with no perceived drain of the battery....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2004 Sienna and also recently drained the battery when a side door was left open overnight. I had the interior light switch set to "Door" and none of the lights were manually turned on.

I looked at my manual and on page 155, it states that you can change the duration that the interior lights stay on when a door is open, but you must take it to a Toyota dealer! It seems there is no way to do that on your own.

Has anyone taken their 2004 (or similar year) Sienna to the factory to change the duration? Do you know if it is something that a skilled mechanic can do at home?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts