Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2015 Sienna XLE with smart key and it's a fantastic van. Not a single issue, except this one, and I'm a little stumped. I'm on my own, no support from the seller on this one. So I need some ideas.

The interior dome/courtesy lights will not turn on. I cannot get any of them to work at all - dome light, 3rd row, you name it. Doesn't matter if it's dark outside, light outside, unlocked, using the switch in the headliner, etc. Adjusted the dimmer on the instrument panel. They just simply don't turn on, ever.

All other interior lights seem to work - radio, AC controls, door switches, instrument cluster. Headlights and taillights work (although the headlights don't turn on when I unlock at night, but I wasn't sure if that was a feature or not. My Honda had that).

I pulled these fuses and visually they appeared "not blown" but did not test/replace:
ECU-IG1 10A
ECU-ACC 10A
OBD 7.5A
ECU-B 10A
Dome 7.5A

then I swapped the DOME relay with the ignition relay which has the same part number/color, but saw no difference there.

Plugged in techstream, did not find any current codes, or previous codes for body electrical. Was able to perform active test on various things such as the DRLs (just to make sure techstream was working), but when I tried the active test for interior lights nothing turned on.

Am I missing something here?

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was the first thing I tried, unfortunately :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm new to the Sienna so this is probably a stupid question, but if I disconnect the battery for like 30 minutes to see if that resets anything, is that going to cause any issues? I assume the radio presets will die, but I wanted to make sure I don't create a problem.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
The only things I had to reset when I disconnected the battery in my 2014 recently to clean the terminals/clamps was the clock, AM/FM presets and the Normal/ECO mode. The satellite channel presets weren't lost. I thought I might have to do the power door and window initialization but didn't have to.

I doubt if disconnecting your battery is going to solve your problem.

I was going to suggest troubleshooting the "DOOR" switch in the overhead console but that might not be easy since it looks like one connector serves all the switches - might be difficult to determine which connector pins are for the DOOR switch without an electrical diagram.

Stupid question but are there bulbs in the light units?

FYI, I've seen reports of people F'ing up interior lights by making mistakes when converting them from incandescent to LED.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've seen those posts too, regarding the LEDs. The rest of the car is bone stock, so I doubt they did this, but I'll check.

I'm going to double-check and make sure there are actual bulbs in the sockets. If the PO took every single interior bulb out, that would be the weirdest thing I'll have ever encountered in a used car.

With that said, I'm going to verify both of those things. Neither had occurred to me before.

Also last night I went back and swapped another identical relay. I heard it click when I inserted it. Also, there was definitely voltage to the DOME 7.5A fuse and there was continuity across the fuse. I drilled down into the EWD and it looks like the DOME fuse is pretty much the one that I need. The others didn't look as important.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am kinda speechless. THERE ARE NO INTERIOR BULBS IN MY CAR.

I popped open a few lenses and none of them had bulbs. Whoever owned this car before me either reclaimed their LED light set (and had thrown away the incandescents) before they traded it in, or removed all of the bulbs due to some problem. The bulbs are in parallel not series, so I'm not sure why they took them all.

A million thanks to @Geezer1 for what might have been a stupid question. I assumed it was a circuit problem because NONE of the interior lights turned on - a single point of failure - but no, someone literally removed every bulb from the inside of the car.

Does anyone have a bulb matrix for the entire interior of this car? I don't have the old ones to compare against. I just want incandescents.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
What some people do never ceases to amaze me. I had wondered if the previous owner took their precious LED bulbs with them.

The 2015 Sienna owners manual has a list of interior bulb types on page 602. If you don't have the hard copy manual you can view it in the owners section of https://www.toyota.com/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had wondered if the previous owner took their precious LED bulbs with them.

The 2015 Sienna owners manual has a list of interior bulb types on page 602.
They took their precious owner's manual too.

So naturally, I then checked and confirmed that I still have a jack and a spare tire. I guess those weren't precious enough to take.

I found the bulb types in the online manual - thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Solved! I just bought like $20 worth of light bulbs, plugged them in and voila, it works. I tested it and they turn on/off with the locks, so unless I stumble upon a parasitic drain later on I think I'm good.

Overhead console - 2x 168
Front door courtesy light - 2x 168
2nd and 3rd row - 4x 168
luggage compartment - 1x DE3022 (WHY???)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts