Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm sure we had this issue on our 2011 which I noticed very early in it's life.

Our 2015 doesn't exhibit the same issue, yet, but she only has 200 miles on her...... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone have the actual TSB for this problem? I can only seem to find the 2nd gen TSB...

For those that had it repaired under warranty, which one does it fall under? power train? limited?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone have the actual TSB for this problem? I can only seem to find the 2nd gen TSB...

For those that had it repaired under warranty, which one does it fall under? power train? limited?
I have the same questions - hoping somebody will be able to answer...??

·
Registered
325 Posts
My 2011 Sienna FWD got the same issue for the last 15-20K miles, now the van odo at 87K miles so i dropped it of at dealer to fix it, the service adviser acknowledged the issue and gave me a loaner. I got Toyota platinum warranty so it will be cover. Also there a TSB for spare tire carriage. I'm not sure it will be done same day as he didn't mention about parts available. For those who got it replaced, what's the part number?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same problem with my 2012. Does anybody know if the powertrain warranty will cover the replacement of the STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT? Thank you guys.

·
Super Moderator
5,019 Posts
I'm sure the powertrain warranty will NOT cover a steering intermediate shaft.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Part of Toyota's "magic" as a low overhead producer is their proliferation of common parts over a huge number of different vehicles. That we've seen intermediate steering shaft recalls and tech service bulletins show up over the years for the Sienna, Prius, Camry, Corolla, Rav4 and various Lexus models and now complaints with 2011+ models tells me there's still something fundamentally amiss here. How hard can it be to make a little U-joint?

This is the advertising copy from an aftermarket supplier of Toyota compatible shafts: Often on original steering columns, the shafts with the coupler wear out. At first it will usually just make a clicking, or ticking noise when moving the steering wheel. This can usually be felt. If not replaced, over time it can cause not only a loose steering feel, but a dangerous safety concern if the joint separates.
I have sneaking suspicion all the intermediate shaft problems are on cars with electric power steering. With a hydraulic system all the energy was at the rack/pinion, and the steering shaft only needed joints to take human power. Now the joints take all the turning force. What is even worse, during a curb bump all that energy shoots ip rhe shatf and then the electric motor kicks in to correct. This I believe causes the shaft to be overloaded, or at least the joint get overloaded.

·
Super Moderator
5,019 Posts
I'm not seeing this. If anything the opposite seems to be true as most of the TSB's I've seen were on older hydraulic systems. The ones I have copies of are as old as 2004.

Reactions: jerrys52

·
Registered
76 Posts
This has also been a issue in the 2nd generation Highlander (2008-2013). The new shaft in the 3rd gen. Highlander is a bit beefier than the earlier version and is probably the same shaft used across numerous Toyota cars models. No one knows if the new shaft has fixed the problem but the new shaft is interchangeable with the old shaft. Only time will tell if this fixes the problem permanently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2011 XLE. I've gone around and around with my dealer on the issue. I had the same knock in the steering - you have to turn the steering wheel 1/2 revolution each way and accelerate from a stop or brake fairly hard to stop and you will feel a bump in the steering. Once diagnosed I have been told it is merely an annoyance, not a safety issue and thus not covered under any sort of bulletin. Also, I have the certified extended warranty and this is NOT covered by that warranty - I have about 92,000 miles on the 100,000 extended warranty.

After complaining, I was given more information from the dealer, but said it would take about $500 to fix. Anyone else get it fixed for less than that? Anyone able to do it yourself? Would appreciate any info or hints.

·
Super Moderator
5,019 Posts
Also, I have the certified extended warranty and this is NOT covered by that warranty - I have about 92,000 miles on the 100,000 extended warranty.

Dealers have discretion on how bad something needs to be before it will be covered. I got mine done under the Platinum Plan. You might try another store and see what they think, or call Customer Service and press the issue.

Reactions: jerrys52

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm looking at this repair on our '13 XLE AWD. Has anyone had any success with lubrication? Also, does anyone have access to the relevant shop manual section for this? Would rather DIY to save a bit...

Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just thought I'd post an update. Today I did an oil & filter + tire rotation service. While I had it up on jack stands to do the rotation, I thought it would be a good time to take a closer look at the intermediate shaft (higher off the ground means less contortion to get up under the dash). I carefully disconnected the upper u-joint from the steering shaft (taking care to match-mark the joint & splines, and also taking care to be sure the wheel was locked so that it would maintain position). I was then able to slide the short shaft up and down through the floor housing (it's designed to collapse in the event of an accident). I was hoping I could slide it up far enough to allow me to add grease to the splines, but this version of the assembly does not allow that. So, frustrated that I was unable to do much, I put everything back together.

The interesting part is that when I took the van on an errand later, all of the clunking / popping was gone! I don't know if the act of sliding the shaft up and down several times was enough to redistribute the factory lubricant inside the assembly, or what. But problem solved, at least temporarily. I don't really expect it to last, but will be interesting to see how long it does.

If you are interested in trying this yourself, there are at least a couple of YouTube videos - search for Toyota intermediate steering shaft... And remember, of course, that it is critically important to reinstall the pinch bolt in the u-joint and tighten it adequately - after all, this is steering we're talking about here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to necro-thread bump but we are having the same issue on our 2014 Limited AWD. It's out of factory warranty and our independent mechanic came to this conclusion immediately after he test drove it.

Is this an issue that is dangerous or just annoying? Just need to understand the gravity and need to get it fixed immediately or later on down the road. Thanks all.

·
Super Moderator
5,019 Posts
I prefer that you add to an existing thread rather than start new. Welcome!

To date, I've not heard of one of these couplings physically failing and separating, or any indication of real steering control loss. They get noisy, rough feeling, and eventually very stiff, at least as reported by those that left them long enough without regreasing or replacing. Again, this is to the best of my current knowledge based on statements by other. But there's always a first time! If it starts to feel bad, GET IT FIXED.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to necro-thread bump but we are having the same issue on our 2014 Limited AWD. It's out of factory warranty and our independent mechanic came to this conclusion immediately after he test drove it.

Is this an issue that is dangerous or just annoying? Just need to understand the gravity and need to get it fixed immediately or later on down the road. Thanks all.
Having the same issue with our 2013 XLE Sienna. Only 57K miles. Started very subtle, only on left turns from stop, now fairly loud, both sides. We have extended warranty too.... will check with company and reply back if we have any luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My local auto repair shop diagnosed the clunking noise I was hearing as intermediate steering shaft problem. It started as a very subtle/soft noise only on left turns, progressed to both turn directions, and got louder and more consistent over the course of about a year . Primarily at low speeds or turning from a stop. We purchased the Platinum Extended Warranty when we bought our 2013 new 11/30/13. Currently 57K mileage. Extended warranty rep was very helpful, seemed to know about the problem, said it was definitely covered by the warranty and that a Toyota dealer must authorize the warranty request. Also, we had rental coverage $50/day for 5 days. Took the van to our "local" dealer (60 miles away) got a rental and the van was repaired the close of the next day. All better and no charge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have not noticed this on our 2012-but we did have this same problem on our 2004.
I watched a couple videos and did it myself-really was not too hard. I used a Dorman replacement part and it worked out great.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts