Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to the forums... having a problem with my wife's sienna and was wondering if you guys can point me in the right direction. Our sienna is model 2017 LE (non AWD) with roughly 45,000 miles on it.

Recently using the key fob to unlock the doors has become intermittent. I'll press the unlock button and the switch inside the door doesn't move to the unlocked position. Luckily the powered sliding doors still work and I'm able to crawl through the middle to the front and open lock the manually. The problem also occurs when locking the doors with the key fob. If the front driver or passenger is set to unlocked and I press lock from the key fob the door switch may or may not move to lock position. Also, there is no flashing headlights or noise signifying the car is locked if the switch decides not to move...

Any ideas what might be going on? How should I go about diagnosing this problem?

Note. This problem appears to be happening more during colder central New York weather.

Thanks

·
Registered
799 Posts
A few thoughts: It sounds like the fob battery. Does your van have the touch sensor lock/unlock, or just the fob where you press a button? Do you have two fobs? Are both behaving like this (would point toward the battery in one being bad)? Is there any noise from the van when you press the unlock button but the door doesn't unlock? Are you able to use the physical, metal key in the door lock, without issue, or is there resistance?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lock actuators defective.
Buy good ones, the cheap ones from ebay don't last long! I've had to replace all 4 on my 2011 Scion Xb!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pjksr02,

I discovered pressing the door panel lock / unlock buttons have the same problem, so that rules out fob battery.

I'm thinking sunshinewr's suggestion of defective lock actuator is correct.

I found directions to disassemble door / install door lock assembly on techinfo.toyota. I may wait for some nicer weather, looks like it's going to take an hour or two... to disassemble / assemble and I don't have the garage space at the moment.

I found the Door latch with integrated actuator on rockauto for $75. Seems like a pretty good deal...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts