Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

In late-2010 my wife and I purchased a 2011 Sienna LE (grey). Kept that until it met an untimely death (rear-ended) this past July. That van took us all over, and we got a lot of great use from it.

In July we replaced it with a 2016 (again, grey, ugh) that was also unfortunately sacrificed to the salvage yards at the beginning of the year, leading us into a magnificent, beautiful new Salsa Red 2019.

I'm hopeful we'll keep this one for many happy years and hundreds of thousands of miles.

Given that this van has Lane Keeping Alerts, radar-adaptive cruise control, auto headlights, and who knows how many other new high-tech whiz-bang features I'm surprised that I can't find Blind-Spot monitoring. Was that not standard on the 2019 LEs? I can't believe Toyota laid out the cash for the adaptive CC but didn't include BSM.

The dealer installed brand-new tires on the van before we purchased. A brand I've never heard of called 'Geotour'. This morning we had our first snow of the season and the Geotour tires were lousy in it. I'm hoping to find a set of inexpensive snow tires and wheels for the van, in case anybody here has any they're looking to unload. (I checked the classifieds forum already.) A couple of years ago I was in the same boat for my Mazda 6 and lucked out, finding a set on a Mazda 6 forum for less than half of what I'd have spent at Tire Rack.

Other thoughts/opinions/plans about the SIenna:
  • The 2011 didn't quite live up to my preconceptions about Toyota quality.We had many trivial problems with the van, but overall it lasted a long time for us. I thought the stereo was terrible both in terms of sound quality and ergonomics. I also thought the brakes were terrible.
  • The 2016 and 2019 have much improved stereos and much improved brakes. I think it is (for lack of a better word) lame that the 2019 still doesn't have Android Auto.
  • I very much preferred the dashboard design (gloveboxes, HVAC controls, basically everything to the right of the gear select lever) on the 2011 than the newer dashboard of the 2016 and 2019. I think the newer HVAC controls are less intuitive, and the dashboard is uglier by far. My wife disagrees on both counts.
  • I LOVE our new 2019. I like it so much more than the 2011 or 2019, and as inconsequential and silly as it may be I can only conclude the difference is that this van is that beautiful red, instead of grey. Go figure. But I'm a little car guy. I like small, nimble, agile cars that can dart to and fro, and I don't at all like big cars. But the Sienna is just a really nice place to be.
  • I think I'd like to install seat heaters. I did that recently to an old car and loved the results.
  • A few months ago I saw a center console for a Sienna on which the back half slid backward to be closer to the middle row seats. Looked very cool. Was that a Toyota offering, or something aftermarket?
- near the floor, on the plastic trim behind the driver-side sliding door there is a round plastic 'something' - a little bit larger in diameter than a quarter, with some sort of clips or brackets molded in to it. I am positive such a thing wasn't on our 2011 and I don't think it was on our 2016. Anybody know what it is? I was thinking it might have something to do with a cargo net, but there doesn't appear to be a matching fastener on the ceiling or on the passenger side of the van.

-- Steve

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
So many questions ...

Regarding BSM: where does a car company stop when it implements additional features while still making a trim level accessible to the maximum number of people. You could have purchased a more expensive trim if you wanted BSM.

Regarding Android Auto: Other car companies have thrown caution to the wind and have disregarded the security issues of older versions of Android Auto. Toyota didn't. That's a good thing. Toyota is implementing Android Auto on several 2021 models.

Seat heaters? As with BSM, they were available on more expensive Sienna trims. So was the center console with the rear sliding section - it's in our Sienna Limited.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi guys and girls.
I am a Toyota freek for live.Have gone through a variety of Toyota cars(for the wife and daughter + son) and Vans ( PRIVIA,s) for our heavy loading and towing. Always AWD.My latest was a Sienna 2004 (bought new in 05) It has now only 195 000 k s on it and is in phantastic shape.But it has developed a few cracks on the front subframe under the engine.I know it can be fixed.Until then I needed a VAN and found a nice Sienna 2015 AWD XLE with only 64 000 Km,s on the odo.The difference in comfort is incredible.We love it already on the in and outside.(My wife owns a Prius) and I have a feeling,she will try to take the Sienna away from me.:eek::oops::ROFLMAO:...
We needed AWD because once in a while we pull our camper (only in Canada) at relative short distances.
We did that with our 04 Sienna over 1000s of kilometers through the USA and Canada without a single problem and hope that our new one will be as good or better.(y):love:(y)...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts