Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
My name is Cliff and a few months ago we purchased a 2008 CE to use as a mini camper. It's been great so far but the one thing I'd like to change is the horn blow when locking and unlocking. I've searched around and it seem the "proper" way to do it is to take it to a dealership and have them change a setting in the computer. I've seen a few things for other Toyotas about switching the ignition on for a certain time and then pushing the buttons on the remote. On this forum someone said that didn't work. I have also read about disconnecting a buzzer, but this definitely sounds like the horn itself, and I don't want to disable that. Any successful approaches other than taking it to the dealer?
Thanks, Cliff
Tire Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
The lock/unlock “buzzer” (as Toyota calls it) is different from the horns. The panic button sounds the horns I believe. See attached. The buzzer is K1 in the engine compartment. It will have two wires going to it… solid green and white with black. Green is positive and white/black is ground.

I was able to find someone with Techstream on their laptop and changed the setting that way.

-Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 CE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lock/unlock “buzzer” (as Toyota calls it) is different from the horns. The panic button sounds the horns I believe. See attached. The buzzer is K1 in the engine compartment. It will have two wires going to it… solid green and white with black. Green is positive and white/black is ground.

I was able to find someone with Techstream on their laptop and changed the setting that way.

-Mike
Mike,
Thanks for the info and document. I haven't verified it 100% but it sure sounds like the horns that blow when locking/unlocking. It's not a chirp like some cars but rather a pretty loud horn blow. I will look for that K1. That document is for a 2005 so I'm not sure if it's the same.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hmm… maybe someone replaced the chirp thing with a horn, or you have an aftermarket RKE or security system. Is it a Toyota fob?

Does it sound like the service horn when you lock/unlock?

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 200K miles

·
Registered
2008 CE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked for the K1 "keyless buzzer" and the only thing I saw in that area did not have the green and white/black wires. While I was in there I put my hand on one of the snail-shaped horns and verified that it is indeed these that blow when locking. I also tried the trick from the video with putting the key in and waiting 10 seconds but this had no effect. I wonder if this being a base CE model, they left off the buzzer and just made it blow the horn. Oh well, I guess I need to check into this techstream thing or just deal with it. The only thing I can do for now is to lock it with the manual lever, but that only works if I hadn't previously pushed the unlock button twice for full unlock. Even using the key in the door or the switch on the inside of the door blows the horn.

·
Registered
2008 CE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm… maybe someone replaced the chirp thing with a horn, or you have an aftermarket RKE or security system. Is it a Toyota fob?

Does it sound like the service horn when you lock/unlock?

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 200K miles
Yes, it's a Toyota FOB and it's definitely the main horns that blow, so that rules out disconnecting a buzzer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I’ll bet my neighbor’s cat that isn’t how it left the factory. It has an aftermarket RKE module or someone rewired the locks to sound the horn.

If you unplug that horn, the service horn doesn’t work? <— already answered

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 200K miles

·
Registered
2008 CE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’ll bet my neighbor’s cat that isn’t how it left the factory. It has an aftermarket RKE module or someone rewired the locks to sound the horn.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 200K miles
There is a little red LED beside the mirror adjust buttons with no label or icon. It flashes when you lock it so it seems I may have an aftermarket security system. I suppose I could locate it and disable it. This thing being 14 years old and a little beat up, I don't imagine it would be attractive to thieves. Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Sienna LE
608 Posts

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 200K miles
Yeah, my 3rd gen is definately a beeper, not the horn, when I lock or unlock. And the 2008 manual only lists a "buzzer" when locking and unlocking, not the horn. (and also states a Toyota dealer can disable this, but the OP already knew this and appeared to not want to go this route. Not that it'll work if an aftermarket system was installed that's using the main horn instead of the OEM buzzer/beeper)

·
Registered
2008 CE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, my 3rd gen is definately a beeper, not the horn, when I lock or unlock. And the 2008 manual only lists a "buzzer" when locking and unlocking, not the horn. (and also states a Toyota dealer can disable this, but the OP already knew this and appeared to not want to go this route. Not that it'll work if an aftermarket system was installed that's using the main horn instead of the OEM buzzer/beeper)
Yea, the little LED to the left of the steering wheel does not look factory. The previous owner had installed solar panels with a second battery that could be paralleled with the main battery, so I thought maybe it had something to do with that. But I just watched it through the window, flashes when locked, off when unlocked. I didn't see it in any of the paperwork, so I imagine it might have been a dealer-installed option by the original owner.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Yea, the little LED to the left of the steering wheel does not look factory. The previous owner had installed solar panels with a second battery that could be paralleled with the main battery, so I thought maybe it had something to do with that. But I just watched it through the window, flashes when locked, off when unlocked. I didn't see it in any of the paperwork, so I imagine it might have been a dealer-installed option by the original owner.
Being that you have a CE (may not have included keyless entry from the factory) and it sounds like the horns plus the aftermarket red light, then I am betting you have an aftermarket system that IS connected to the horns. IIRC, the alarm light on the gen2 models replaced one of the oval blanks in the center stack.

Post a pic of your fob.

-Mike

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE
253 Posts
I agree on the aftermarket hypothesis. I have had experience with quite a few Toyota models from this era (including an 05 CE, 06 LE, 08 LE, and 09 LE), and I don't recall any of them blowing the horn on lock/unlock.

·
Registered
2009 le awd
441 Posts
Mine is just a beeper so agree on the aftermarket. Still could be a factory installed one I suppose.
In any case if you can find out a model # or whomever made it there might be some info out there that could explain how to shut this off. Fwiw I wouldn't like it either, I unplugged the beeper for the same reason.

·
Registered
2008 CE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The FOB does have a Toyota emblem on the back but unlike the 2 shown in the manual with either 1 or 2 buttons for the power side doors, mine just has lock, unlock and panic. So I would suspect a dealer add-on. I'll take a look under the dash to see if I can find a module. If I'm lucky it's have a switch or jumper to disable the honk when locking, but still function as an alarm.

·
Registered
2008 CE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the fob and the 2 keys I got from the previous owner, one being a plain aftermarket so it's clear it doesn't have the "immobilizer" system. I also found an odd momentary pushbutton button at the top of the kick panel, next to the emergency brake pedal. It has a green and black wire connected that go directly into the wiring harness without any splicing. I have no idea what it does. I did hold it in and pressed the unlock button on the fob, but that didn't change anything.
Product Peripheral Input device Table Material property
Car alarm Peripheral Output device Audio equipment Wood

·
Registered
2008 CE
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Assuming you don’t want to disable the functional RKE, it should be a matter of finding the module then snipping the wire that sounds the horn.

Sixto
‘04 LE FWD 200K miles
It does indeed appear to be dealer/aftermarket installed. I found the little box wrapped in electrical tape that connects to the LED and mysterious push button. I was thinking I would just leave it since it's nice to have an alarm system, but if I roll the window down, lock it with the fob, wait a few minutes and then reach in and manually unlock the door then nothing happens. Since this appears to be a factory fob, it seems like I could remove the alarm and still have the RKE, or do you think that function would disable it? I've read a lot of people removing these things since they can malfunction and leave you stranded. I'm going to pull the electrical tape off the box so I can get a model #.

·
Registered
2009 le awd
441 Posts
I would try disconnecting the power to that box and see what results. Of course maybe it would think someone is trying to steal it. The RKE is probably thru the vehicle separate from that device but its anyones guess. Does that alarm even work at all ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts