Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

21 - 40 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I came from a 2012 Sienna to this... and it definitely is not the same in terms of zip, especially going up inclines.... But overall as you're doing everyday driving at highway speeds or on local roads you will have no problem zipping around. The exception is when you are at a full stop and you are about to go up a hill, you will hear the drone of the engine and it will take a bit to get up to the speed limit, whereas my 2012 had no problem moving up any hills. It is more than adequate for the kind of driving this vehicle was intended for....

Getting ready to take it on a long trip fully loaded... will see how it does in that situation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This is a super helpful thread and I appreciate all the responses so far! Car and Driver tested the 2021 Sienna and clocked it as going from 0-60 in 7.7 seconds. While many cars, SUVs, and vans have gotten really quick over the last 10 years or so, 0-60 in under 8 seconds seems totally fine for a family hauler. Heck, the 1982 Corvette took 8.2 seconds to go from 0-60!

I'm with the crew here in saying that this is a small price to pay for the incredible leap in fuel economy versus every other competitor.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XSE Awd Tech Package
96 Posts
This is a super helpful thread and I appreciate all the responses so far! Car and Driver tested the 2021 Sienna and clocked it as going from 0-60 in 7.7 seconds. While many cars, SUVs, and vans have gotten really quick over the last 10 years or so, 0-60 in under 8 seconds seems totally fine for a family hauler. Heck, the 1982 Corvette took 8.2 seconds to go from 0-60!

I'm with the crew here in saying that this is a small price to pay for the incredible leap in fuel economy versus every other competitor.
Careful comparing it to older cars. You might upset someone who doesn't care how fast it is compared to a model T. In all honesty it accelerates just fine for me but I drive like an old man most days.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Its underpowered compared to last years Sienna especially. But on its own, its OK, it just sounds underpowered because Toyota didn't do enough to isolate the engine noise like they did with its near twin, the Highlander Hybrid. Who knows why, cost cutting? Weight? They should at least put acoustic glass on the windshield and front windows.
Careful comparing it to older cars. You might upset someone who doesn't care how fast it is compared to a model T. In all honesty it accelerates just fine for me but I drive like an old man most days.
I agree. Just enjoy the "Economy Hum" as you accelerate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
So here's a real world testing 1/4 mile on a track (not really exactly measured certified 1/4 mile track but nonetheless very close to it and good enough for our discussion purpose). Sienna 2021 in Sport mode vs Honda Odyssey 2021 V6, both cars with driver only. Odyssey won, but by only like 3ft barely. Here's a pause screenshot showing exactly that finish line crossing:

·
Registered
91 Posts
So basically this answers to those thinking that Sienna is underpowered or thinking that V6 Odyssey is on another level. No it's not. Whatever numbers you see in various brochures or websites - real tests show that they are basically EQUAL. And Sienna does that with 12-14 MPG more vs Odyssey. I think facts speak for themselves.

·
Registered
06 Highlander Limited AWD/ 09 Sienna XLE FWD / 12 Highlander SE FWD
81 Posts
We live in a pretty hilly city. I am considering getting AWD Sienna to help with the hills when the roads are slick from weather. Outside of that, is there any performance gains of AWD vs FWD? Would the extra weight of the AWD reduce performance vs FWD?

As a side, I have one AWD Highlander (Limited) and love its traction control but then my other Highlander(SE) is FWD and noticeable has issues that my AWD one doesn’t. I have an FWD Sienna too. It’s not as bad as my FWD Highlander but definitely not as good as my AWD Highlander. I keep my tires pretty current on all vehicles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We live in a pretty hilly city. I am considering getting AWD Sienna to help with the hills when the roads are slick from weather. Outside of that, is there any performance gains of AWD vs FWD? Would the extra weight of the AWD reduce performance vs FWD?

As a side, I have one AWD Highlander (Limited) and love its traction control but then my other Highlander(SE) is FWD and noticeable has issues that my AWD one doesn’t. I have an FWD Sienna too. It’s not as bad as my FWD Highlander but definitely not as good as my AWD Highlander. I keep my tires pretty current on all vehicles.
So I'm also looking to buy XLE soon and this is what I researched so far. No performance gains of AWD vs FWD in terms of acceleration, but good news is that since AWD in 2021 is electronic - it weighs much less than physical one, as there's no physical shaft going from transfer case to rear axle and no transfer case either lol. There's just an electric motor on rear axle for AWD and system only weighs maybe 100lbs total, so no real noticeable reduction in performance due to weight. However, you do get AWD traction and going slippery or snowy uphills is of course better with AWD. This is same AWD as in RAV4 Hybrid and Highlander Hybrid - so I watched reviews of AWD in those cars and consensus is that it's excellent system for what it is. It's made for bad weather conditions, better traction etc, but not for offroad. In your case with hilly terrain AWD is the way to go no doubt. MPG penalty is only 1 mpg according to Toyota, so that's excellent too, but in real life that might be closer to 2-3mpg, no one knows for sure yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts

I'd love to see testing on this.

The AWD version (which we have) has more overall HP available with the addition of the rear electric traction motor but I don't know if the car actually uses it that way. I do know that when watching the tire-power monitor and driving up our steep driveway electric motor power is sent to all 4 wheels and the van "just goes" much more like a pure EV than an ICE car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would be very concerned more with the sliding doors on the side than the engine issues. Seems that all of these minivans have mechanical problems with the sliding doors that strangely enough only materialize after the warranty expires. Our 2011 eventually got a service campaign to fix the door and then a year or so later the latches. The engine is fantastic and I am sure the Hybrid system is fine and provides enough power to do what is needed. But those damn doors!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm looking to make my first minivan purchase for my growing family. Really only interested in Toyota for its reliability and practicality, and there's a lot to like about their Hybrid System and it's reputation for the past 10+ years. My concern is the murmurs coming from some about this Sienna and it lacking the power necessary for a 7 passenger vehicle. Not everyone agrees, so I'd love to hear from those of you who own and have spent some weeks driving it. Do you feel like it's underpowered? Does this pose a safety concern? Clearly it won't match the power of a V6, so I'm not wanting to make that comparison. I'm more asking from an objective driving experience, does the vehicle do what a vehicle should do. I'm not under the impression that minivans full of kids should be buzzing around, passing on 2 lane roads, flooring it onto a highway. I don't drive that way regardless, but I also don't drive a large vehicle full of people. That extra weight is the factor I'm not used to and would appreciate your thoughts.

I'd love to hear any positive or negative feedback from any 2021 Sienna owners. Thanks!
I have a 2017 LE with 75k miles. I had a 2011 and sold it with 170k miles and another one before that. Let me tell you, I drive from Alabama to Boston, from Alabama to Tampa and from Alabama to Katy, TX, with a full load of well fed daughters (3), a dog a wife and luggage. These van are amazing. Plenty power and decent (not amazing) fuel economy. Power is plenty, comfort is awesome and reliability is superb. I don’t know about Hybrid, but those 3.5 v-6 engines are amazing. After 3 vans, I had never fix anything in any of them. Brakes, Oil, Tires, Filters - that’s it! Just routine maintenance as recommended in the manual. If I ever tell my wife the she has to give up her Sienna, I know she will say “Over my dead body!” The only car that I may consider to replace it with since my hefty kids are grown, is a Highlander.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Sienna power is essentially the same as the V6 in my 2008 Honda Odyssey which does not lack power.
Sienna: 245 HP, 263 lb-ft torque, 4700 lb curb weright.
2008 Odyssey: 244 HP, 240 lb-ft torque, 4473 lb curb weight
So the only difference is about 225 lb in curb weight and the Sienna has more torque..
I still would miss the 296 hp that the V6 Sienna had.☹

·
Registered
91 Posts
I still would miss the 296 hp that the V6 Sienna had.☹
Am I the only one not missing power and happy for actual MPG improvements? I had V8 and that thing was a lot more powerful than V6, but I don't miss it due to ungodly low mpg on it. I was lucky to get 15mpg in city if I was driving gently and as low as 9mpg in winter and traffic. This "I miss V12 or V10 or V8 or V6" is exaggerated imho. I'm sure not going to miss it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Havent driven a hybrid yet, but my 2020 awd with v6 feel underpower compare to 2008 Honda Odyssey, maybe be because its a front wheel drive?
Not a big fan of hybrid, even though you save on gas but after 10 years or 100k, the new battery is not cheap, and hybrid is typically cost more than regular engine, plus you still have to perform maintenance on the gas engine just like any other cars.
the second row is not removable, and bridge console is also a deal breaker to some folks.
i would recommend you test drive both to see it for yourself

·
Registered
2021 Sienna XLE Plus
239 Posts
Am I the only one not missing power and happy for actual MPG improvements? I had V8 and that thing was a lot more powerful than V6, but I don't miss it due to ungodly low mpg on it. I was lucky to get 15mpg in city if I was driving gently and as low as 9mpg in winter and traffic. This "I miss V12 or V10 or V8 or V6" is exaggerated imho. I'm sure not going to miss it.
I don't care one bit. It's a gd minivan and I'll take the mpg numbers all day long.

·
Registered
2019 Toyota Avalon Limited Hybrid with Advanced Safety Package
95 Posts
It has plenty of power. If you are driving such that you are disappointed, you are likely being unsafe for your family, and need to tone down your driving aggression. My 1.5 cents. Is getting there 15 minutes early really worth the risk to your family? Heck no.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the mass upgrade in MPG FAR out weights the "slower" engine and "less" performance. It's the seats that stink. Van is great!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I would be very concerned more with the sliding doors on the side than the engine issues. Seems that all of these minivans have mechanical problems with the sliding doors that strangely enough only materialize after the warranty expires. Our 2011 eventually got a service campaign to fix the door and then a year or so later the latches. The engine is fantastic and I am sure the Hybrid system is fine and provides enough power to do what is needed. But those damn doors!
I don't know about the Toyotas, but the sliding doors on my 2008 Odyssey have never had a problem.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Find a Toyota dealer with a rental program. In 2018 we rented a 2018 for 3 days for a trip before buying to see if we really wanted one. Took a long trip up the coast, mountains, city and freeway.

·
Registered
58 Posts
How long before we have to give up on our beautiful gas only powered Sienna's, like my 2008 with 230,000 miles and running like a charm..?

I can't fathom the idea of getting into a 2021 with 4 cylinders and electricity with barely any power just because its a box on wheels, I guess

I'm old school but I'm hanging on to my 2008 as long as I can!

I just did a bank 1 and 2 complete gasket, coil pack, spark plug, wire connector repairs, oil change, transmission flush and valve body repair, throttle body cleaning and it

it is running like new, I AM NOT A MECHANIC, and I did all that, I bet it would be hell to pay with the new technology crap...no sir I'm keeping my Sienna!

21 - 40 of 102 Posts