Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Am I the only one not missing power and happy for actual MPG improvements? I had V8 and that thing was a lot more powerful than V6, but I don't miss it due to ungodly low mpg on it. I was lucky to get 15mpg in city if I was driving gently and as low as 9mpg in winter and traffic. This "I miss V12 or V10 or V8 or V6" is exaggerated imho. I'm sure not going to miss it.
The mpg could be a deal maker for me. I used to have a Prius and loved it. Not sure I could stomach the fuel cost of a van getting <20mpg after that, but I like the idea of the hybrid system in a practical hauler.

I learned to drive in a 5-speed stick shift with 60hp. That was sufficient (but definitely not impressive, and I learned to downshift soon as I saw a hill coming). The hybrid Sienna has four times the power in a vehicle with twice the weight, so twice the power per pound.

I'm tempted and it's because of the improved mpg ratings...

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
243 Posts
Here's my take on this subject. I have had our AWD for couple of months now. I have pretty much driven on regular city streets so this is not exhaustive opinion at all.

1. Couple of times I encountered steep hills, I felt it was struggling for sure. However, this can be explained by me being in ECO mode by default, and not being able to think on the spot to push it in Sports mode, or push the gas paddle very hard.
2. Comparing a Hybrid with regular Gas Engine is like comparing apples and oranges. Hybrid's benefit is less gas at the cost of raw power. That is opposite of Regular Gas cars.
3. This is where the rubber meets the road for me. I am saving anywhere from $60 to $100 on gas every month while driving in ECO mode.
4. If anyone wants to come out swinging out the door tearing up the road, 2021 will not disappoint you. For gas engine, the power might be liner such that little extra push on the paddle will produce more power right away. For Sienna, it is "Programmed" to conserve, but if you push the paddle hard, it will respond in kind. Hybrid for many brings unconscious bios to drive sensibly. If anyone's worried about it being underpowered, I say test drive it like you stole it and see if it is what you like.

With that said, would I part with my trusty old van for 2021? Probably not unless I have money to burn.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got XSE FWD couple days ago. My other car is 4100lb volvo xc70 3.2 240ish hp
Sienna feels faster from the get go to around 40-45mph, after that its just moving but its nothing special. That 6 cylinder volvo accelerates much better at higher speeds.
Funny thing is that sienna feel lighter and suspension is much sportier than volvo.

Sure it is underpowered by current standards, when most econoboxes has 160-170+ hp and mid size sedans start at 220-240+ and in many cases has close or more than 300hp.

One last thing is the hybrid drive and cvt could create that slow car feeling because the engine speed and noises are not increasing proportionally to the acceleration and car speed.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not a big fan of hybrid, even though you save on gas but after 10 years or 100k, the new battery is not cheap, and hybrid is typically cost more than regular engine, plus you still have to perform maintenance on the gas engine just like any other cars.
There's no regular engine option, only hybrid for 4th gen., so your point is moot.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'd love to hear any positive or negative feedback from any 2021 Sienna owners. Thanks!
I had a 2011 fwd, 2013 awd and now the 2021 AWD Limited... I feel like I "feel" the power kick in when I accelerate but don't feel unsafe or behind in traffic. I did my test drive on a country road with no traffic and did a bunch of short stops. flooring the accelerator and my experience was that I HEARD the acceleration more that in the non-hybrids but it still accelerated well enough. While I don't have kids, I transport two Great Danes which put 318lbs in the way back (3rd row seats folded down).

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Does it? I can find any mention of acoustic glass in the 2021 Sienna.
Some or all 2021 Sienna might have at least some acoustic glass but Toyota didn't make a big deal about it in the past. When the Sienna XLE and Limited got acoustic windshields for 2013 it was mentioned only in a press release. It was the same when the SE got an acoustic windshield and the Limited got acoustic front side window glass for 2018.

Those who have 2021 Sienna might check their windshields and side windows to see if the word "ACOUSTIC" or an image of an "ear" is imprinted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The mpg could be a deal maker for me. I used to have a Prius and loved it. Not sure I could stomach the fuel cost of a van getting <20mpg after that, but I like the idea of the hybrid system in a practical hauler.

I learned to drive in a 5-speed stick shift with 60hp. That was sufficient (but definitely not impressive, and I learned to downshift soon as I saw a hill coming). The hybrid Sienna has four times the power in a vehicle with twice the weight, so twice the power per pound.

I'm tempted and it's because of the improved mpg ratings...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Early adopter of the minivan concept via VW vans circa 60s into the 70s microbus. Last one if I recall correctly was 50 is hp.
As the bunny will tell ya.... Slow and steady wins the race! That vehicle took abuse like no other and still kept on chugging.
Functional Utility is where its at... All else is hog wash.

Gen 3 with the 6 is a very nice and balanced vehicle... great tradeoff of power vs mpg. Good performance too. The springs on it could have been a bit stiffer but then the ride quality would suffer a bit, all in all a well-designed unit.
A higher sidewall tire helps with smoothing the bumps even with harsher springs...

Hybrid, they added a bit more weight, the suspension was adjusted the torque is solid at the low end alas its not a multispeed transmission therefore the torque of the IC which could be maximized via revs, does not get maximized for acceleration as would have been in a dual clutch transmission (which simulates automatic speed shifting, like a clutched manual, with the pedal to the metal rather well) as in VW!

Perhaps next gen will have a larger elec motor, more battery capacity and a multispeed dual clutch transmission to leverage the ICE! if still connected to the driving wheels.

Ability to TOW with the hybrid is great indeed. Dodge said no to tow with the hybrid!
Please mind the vehicle carrying capacity as well as the combined weight limitations! Weighing the set-up at the scales is better than guess-timation even if using individually stated weights as reality trounces all. A level van and trailer are best!

·
Banned
202 Posts
Again, why bring up and compare 50+ year old cars to the new Sienna? That's inane. The only cars to compare it to are the current competition; Odyssey, Pacifica and Sedona.

Of course, with the multiple posts about it, one could conjecture that the Sienna is so underpowered that the only comparisons to be made are to cars from 50 years ago. Which is sad.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On Tuesday this week we had an unfortunate incident with our van while the wife was at a medical appointment. The van is at the body shop waiting on the insurance to see if it's repairable or a write off, dealer body shop thinks it's not repairable. While we wait they gave us a '21 Sienna to use as a loaner we have to give it back tomorrow and then get a rental.

As of today we have covered just over 300mi with it and I can tell you both wife and I are not impressed at all. I find it lacking in power especially noticeable on the hills we have to drive to get to our house, once going on the highway it isn't too bad but not even close to our gas V6.

Also now that I have seen it in person and lived with it for a bit personally wife & I think its ugly and couldn't see ourselves driving it every day. I am just over 6ft tall and I find that center console a pain in the rear another miss for me and finally the 3rd row seats when folded make a racket as they don't appear to lock in as other have stated.

Not sure what we are going to get to replace our Sienna if it is a write off but definitely it won't be a '21. Now that the kids are grown and gone maybe an SUV, wife likes the LX570 :oops:. Too bad the 2022 KIA Carnival is not yet available in Canada we would consider that.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Of course, with the multiple posts about it, one could conjecture that the Sienna is so underpowered that the only comparisons to be made are to cars from 50 years ago. Which is sad.
Had to laugh at that one! Hopefully, not true, but funny nonetheless.

Not having driven one, I fully expect it to be just fine and worth the trade off for awesome fuel mileage and eAWD.

-Mike

·
Registered
91 Posts
Again, why bring up and compare 50+ year old cars to the new Sienna? That's inane. The only cars to compare it to are the current competition; Odyssey, Pacifica and Sedona.

I had to double check if this thread was accidentally posted on 3rd. gen forum or 2nd gen. lol, but nope, it seems correct - posted in 4th gen. forum. I have no idea where from all this good folks come from who bash 4th gen. Sienna and call it underpowered, while cheerily and joyfully compare it to good ol' V6 😅
My dear 3rd. gen owners - no worries, no one is making you to purchase 4th gen. At least right to buy the vehicle you want is still standing in this falling apart country (hopefully we won't see a "V6 lives matter" gang that will go down the streets burning all hybrids and EVs).

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is for V6 gang to see that when it's balls to the walls time - one of the best V6 out there in Honda Odyssey performs basically same in 1/4 mile run barely getting ahead.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD
54 Posts
If you plan on drag racing or regularly hauling/pulling more than 2,000 lbs, then yeah it’s underpowered. But the truth of the matter is, for the vast majority of a typical family’s needs from day to day, the 21 Sienna is sufficiently capable. Notice there are very few actual 21 Sienna owners posting in this thread who are saying it is underpowered. I would imagine that is because the 21 Sienna is doing the job it was meant to do, with easily the best fuel economy in the minivan segment, and most of us couldn’t care less if it’s 1 second slower 0-60 than the previous generation.

This is for a 2020 Highlander with the 4 cylinder hybrid powertrain. Yes the Sienna is a bit heavier, but it’s hard to imagine the experience would be drastically affected.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I would imagine that is because the 21 Sienna is doing the job it was meant to do, with easily the best fuel economy in the minivan segment, and most of us couldn’t care less if it’s 1 second slower 0-60 than the previous generation.
What's really fascinating is that Sienna 2021 beats many cars even in non minivan segment and even smaller ones. It actually has 1mpg better rating in some trims than Highlander - my guess is due to better drag coefficient: 0.29 for Sienna and 0.34 for Highlander (lower value is the better value) and on top of that it sits lower - so less drag and better mpg. Even RAV4 Hybrid - a tiny (compared to Sienna) cuv gets only 2mpg! more on highway, it's like half the size of Sienna and 3 times less interior space. Pound per pound Sienna even beats Prius. Prius gets 50mpg on highway with its 3100lbs average weight. Sienna gets 36mpg and if we interpolate (I'll omit calculations), but if Prius efficiency was magically put into Sienna - it should weigh 4270lbs, while Sienna weighs 4600lbs on average. So Sienna is actually pound per pound more efficient than Prius by about 8% 💪

41 - 60 of 97 Posts