Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

Banned
What's really fascinating is that Sienna 2021 beats many cars even in non minivan segment and even smaller ones. It actually has 1mpg better rating in some trims than Highlander - my guess is due to better drag coefficient: 0.29 for Sienna and 0.34 for Highlander (lower value is the better value) and on top of that it sits lower - so less drag and better mpg. Even RAV4 Hybrid - a tiny (compared to Sienna) cuv gets only 2mpg! more on highway, it's like half the size of Sienna and 3 times less interior space. Pound per pound Sienna even beats Prius. Prius gets 50mpg on highway with its 3100lbs average weight. Sienna gets 36mpg and if we interpolate (I'll omit calculations), but if Prius efficiency was magically put into Sienna - it should weigh 4270lbs, while Sienna weighs 4600lbs on average. So Sienna is actually pound per pound more efficient than Prius by about 8% 馃挭
But the seating capacity of the Sienna is 7/8 passengers. The Prius is only 5, well more like 4.5. Like when the Smart Car came out, sure it got close to 50mpg but it was a 2 seater, the Prius was still the most economical when transporting 5 passenger because if you had a Smart car, you need 3 of them to transport the same amount of people!

Registered
But the seating capacity of the Sienna is 7/8 passengers. The Prius is only 5, well more like 4.5. Like when the Smart Car came out, sure it got close to 50mpg but it was a 2 seater, the Prius was still the most economical when transporting 5 passenger because if you had a Smart car, you need 3 of them to transport the same amount of people!
Exactly. Sienna 4th gen. as it stands currently is THE most efficient people mover among non-EV cars. I suspect it might beat even some EV cars on highway mileage cost if we count passengers + volume per volume comparison and if we count what it really costs to charge EV (I mean 20% electricity charging loss, cost of electricity when charging at Superchargers on road, etc). electricity costs a lot more on public chargers when you are taking a road trip. I think Sienna 2021 is an ultimate long road trip van at this point.

Basically there is NO other vehicle in US/Canada that can beat Sienna 2021 in cost of moving 7/8 people across country. Pacifica Hybrid falls short. Tesla Model X only sits 6/7 and even than if you count charging costs at superchargers ($0.28c per Kwh) - I doubt it will be more economical. There's nothing currently that can beat Sienna 4th gen in that regard.

Registered
So traveling in Model Y which in theory can accommodate 7 people (yeah right, more like 4 adults and 2 kids) it'll cost about $3.1 per 36 miles traveled ($0.28c/kWh) - charging at superchargers. While Sienna 2021 can do 36 miles on highway (in theory if driven at 70mph) for 1 gal of regular fuel - which costs on average about $2.9 currently across USA. So there you go folks: Sienna beating Tesla in efficiency AND comfort too - imagine been cramped in Model Y vs sitting comfortably in Sienna. If we compare Model X - it'll be even worse comparison for Tesla. Oh, and should I mention that Sienna will be able to stop every 600-630 miles for 15 min refuel and washroom breaks, while Tesla Model Y will need to stop every 200-250 miles for at least 30 min (if chargers are working, available and no one is parked taking the spot). To travel 2k miles across US/Canada you will save about 4-5 hours at least in Sienna. How about that Elon Musk? 馃槄 馃挭

Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
I have a few people in my office with Teslas. They mention gas savings as one of the reason they bought a 40-50K+ car. That makes no sense. If someone wants to save money, get a used 20K car, or a Corolla Hybrid. Principal + Interest on another 20-30K in the bank will be enough to get free gas for life!

Essentially, Saving gas money is an added bonus, but it is not a critical financial decision factor.

Registered
I have a few people in my office with Teslas. They mention gas savings as one of the reason they bought a 40-50K+ car. That makes no sense. If someone wants to save money, get a used 20K car, or a Corolla Hybrid. Principal + Interest on another 20-30K in the bank will be enough to get free gas for life!

Essentially, Saving gas money is an added bonus, but it is not a critical financial decision factor.
I agree. In case with Sienna that would be an extra $50k saved - vs more or less comparable Model X (in size and seating). Not to mention Model X will not last as long as Sienna.

Registered
I'm looking to make my first minivan purchase for my growing family. Really only interested in Toyota for its reliability and practicality, and there's a lot to like about their Hybrid System and it's reputation for the past 10+ years. My concern is the murmurs coming from some about this Sienna and it lacking the power necessary for a 7 passenger vehicle. Not everyone agrees, so I'd love to hear from those of you who own and have spent some weeks driving it. Do you feel like it's underpowered? Does this pose a safety concern? Clearly it won't match the power of a V6, so I'm not wanting to make that comparison. I'm more asking from an objective driving experience, does the vehicle do what a vehicle should do. I'm not under the impression that minivans full of kids should be buzzing around, passing on 2 lane roads, flooring it onto a highway. I don't drive that way regardless, but I also don't drive a large vehicle full of people. That extra weight is the factor I'm not used to and would appreciate your thoughts.

I'd love to hear any positive or negative feedback from any 2021 Sienna owners. Thanks!
I have had 5 or 6 Siennas now and this latest one is the 2021 Platinum. It does just fine as to power but what is more amazing is the gas mileage. I consistently get better than what you are given to believe on the sticker. My first tank after delivery I got 37+ mpg on the dash but figuring it out with a calculator, it was 39 mpg. Going down to Phoenix from the Sedona area after filling the tank up, I really expected to get less mileage on the trip back as we climb almost 4000+ feet and figured that it would impact the mileage. Filled it up to check the mileage...wrong again. Figuring the mileage the old fashioned way with a calculator, 42 mpg. The comfort level is wonderful and the updates are great. Have not ever regretted buying a Toyota product and this 2021 Sienna will further cement that feeling I am sure.

Banned

But then you鈥檇 be driving a used Corolla. Come on now. That makes no sense.

Registered
Some or all 2021 Sienna might have at least some acoustic glass but Toyota didn't make a big deal about it in the past. When the Sienna XLE and Limited got acoustic windshields for 2013 it was mentioned only in a press release. It was the same when the SE got an acoustic windshield and the Limited got acoustic front side window glass for 2018.

Those who have 2021 Sienna might check their windshields and side windows to see if the word "ACOUSTIC" or an image of an "ear" is imprinted.
My 2021 limited does have acoustic glass.

Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
Our Platinum does have acoustic window glasses. It is clearly spelled out in side windows.

The windshield is a bit fuzzy. Here is the front windshield pic. It doesn't have the Ear symbol. I haven't had chance to decipher meanings of all the numbers. I didn't look for other markings on it yet either. I took the pictures in a hurry.

Windshield.jpg

Here are pics from both front, and one of the sliding doors. I forgot to check the 3rd row, and it is parked half a mile from our condo. We live in parking challenged area. The Ear symbol is hard to make out unless you are looking for it. It looks more like a KC or ICC.

Here are some pics.
Front Driver.jpg
Front Passenger.jpg
Rear Passenger.jpg

Registered
I'm looking to make my first minivan purchase for my growing family. Really only interested in Toyota for its reliability and practicality, and there's a lot to like about their Hybrid System and it's reputation for the past 10+ years. My concern is the murmurs coming from some about this Sienna and it lacking the power necessary for a 7 passenger vehicle. Not everyone agrees, so I'd love to hear from those of you who own and have spent some weeks driving it. Do you feel like it's underpowered? Does this pose a safety concern? Clearly it won't match the power of a V6, so I'm not wanting to make that comparison. I'm more asking from an objective driving experience, does the vehicle do what a vehicle should do. I'm not under the impression that minivans full of kids should be buzzing around, passing on 2 lane roads, flooring it onto a highway. I don't drive that way regardless, but I also don't drive a large vehicle full of people. That extra weight is the factor I'm not used to and would appreciate your thoughts.

I'd love to hear any positive or negative feedback from any 2021 Sienna owners. Thanks!
In the long run, it doesn't matter what other folks say, and it especially doesn't matter what other folks calculate on their computers. The only opinion that matters is YOURS. Take one on a test drive. That's what test drives are for. Bring everyone in your family to see how it handles with a load. Also, learn the difference between torque and horsepower before you start believing that the only thing that matters is horsepower. Compare torque between models.

Reactions: fibber2

Registered
Here's a video where they actually measured 0-60 using GPS device (it's called Draggy and is very accurate up to 0.1sec). So 2 people in the van and 6% uphill incline to really tax the powertrain and see if its up to the task. So they got 11.4sec - which is slower than Toyota Prius 9.7sec - which is probably in top 3 slowest cars currently available for sale in US. Now if you add to equation another peculiar fact that Toyota doesn't like to advertise - very limited max payload, I don't remember the exact number, but its written on a drivers door sill sticker - something like 950lbs max. Which is much lower than 3rd gen. or lets say similar other vans (Pacifica Hybrid has x1.5 more payload ability, gas model has x2 more max payload). So that shows that 4-cyl. hybrid powertrain has its limitations. That is also confirmed indirectly by the fact that it indeed has to rev up high to provide adequate dynamics. Highlander Hybrid that has exactly same powertrain is also a bit buzzy under load, but not as much as in Sienna - which is perfectly understandable as Sienna is about 300lbs more than highlander Hybrid. Now imagine that same scenario like in video - you are on a family trip going uphill with 7 or 8 people and baggage, maybe even roof box on top, full tank of gas etc. My guess is 0-60 will be even worse, something like 14-16sec? I don't know what it will be, but this is why folks raise concerns about it.
That been said, I personally think that power is adequate. My reasoning is that in that situation (which is worst case probably I should say) with full car of people on a trip going uphill - who really needs to race it to beat 0-60? No one. All that will happen is you'll floor it to climb up safely (extra added 8 sec to 0-60 won't matter in that case, in that kind of climbing and driving) and as soon as road becomes less uphill - you'll be again cruising casually like nothing happened. Besides situations like that (full van of people, steep uphill etc) happen very rarely and even when they do - they are brief and don't require fastest 0-60 out of any car. So my point is that short answer is: no, it's not underpowered. I think it has a good balance of power and fuel efficiency and for a van its more important to have good mpg than fast 0-60 imho. Just my opinion man.

that uphill climb 0-60 starts at about 9:40 mark in video.
may payload according to the toyota website is around 1500lbs (+/- 50 lbs depending on the trim). I am not sure where you got 950lbs from.

Registered
may payload according to the toyota website is around 1500lbs (+/- 50 lbs depending on the trim). I am not sure where you got 950lbs from.
You need to look at the door pillar on the driver's side, there is a plate that shows the actual payload # for your vehicle not what a web site states. My 2017 LE FWD 8 passenger model has a payload of 1380 lbs.

Here is one from my Honda Ridgeline to show you what it looks like, don't have a photo for my Sienna.
IMG_1012Small.jpg

Registered
You need to look at the door pillar on the driver's side, there is a plate that shows the actual payload # for your vehicle not what a web site states. My 2017 LE FWD 8 passenger model has a payload of 1380 lbs.

Here is one from my Honda Ridgeline to show you what it looks like, don't have a photo for my Sienna.
This is a picture of my LE AWD with spare tire : 1375 lbs.

61 - 80 of 97 Posts