Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Brand new member saying hello! I'm very interested in the Sienna (coming from a sweet 2014 Mazda5 6MT, and giving up on the fact that I'm going to have to buy my first automatic as the family grows).

I would like the option to tow a trailer someday (and will use a hitch-mounted bike rack immediately). For some cars, the towing package is a factory item (includes things like upgraded alternator, upgraded cooling, etc.). In other cars, it's literally just a hitch that you bolt on and can be done at a dealer or anywhere else.

I can't tell from the Toyota website whether the it's the factory or the dealer type. I asked a salesperson and his incorrect answers on a few other questions about the Sienna make me doubt his knowledge.

Does anyone know for sure (this is for the US models) and is there a link or reference somewhere?

Thanks!
ROJA

·
Registered
Toyota Sienna 2021 AWD Platinum
99 Posts
I recall seeing in threads here that Sienna is good to go with towing except the actual hitch. All underpinnings are designed with towing factored in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I recall seeing in threads here that Sienna is good to go with towing except the actual hitch. All underpinnings are designed with towing factored in.
That is what I have seen in various commentary, but like the OP, I have not seen where it is explicitly stated anywhere.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
42 Posts
@ROJA there is a great thread on this forum with a lot of those answers.

All Siennas comes standard with the "towing prep package" in the engine compartment.

The only option we can choose is for the hitch & wiring ($900).

In that same thread it also mentions an aftermarket hitch for much less.

Additionally, when you get the hitch installed at the factory - they disable/remove the rear kick sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks @MrJohn - everything I've read online indicates the same thing, including this thread, where someone quotes an email from Toyota USA: Sienna with tow package?

(from user "Joe Cool"):

Copied from an email from Toyota:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We appreciate your interest in the all-new 2021 Toyota Sienna.

We apologize for the confusion and incorrect information provided to you. The 2021 Sienna comes standard with the tow package across all trim levels, including the XSE grade. Therefore including everything needed to tow up to 3500 pounds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi All!

Brand new member saying hello! I'm very interested in the Sienna (coming from a sweet 2014 Mazda5 6MT, and giving up on the fact that I'm going to have to buy my first automatic as the family grows).

I would like the option to tow a trailer someday (and will use a hitch-mounted bike rack immediately). For some cars, the towing package is a factory item (includes things like upgraded alternator, upgraded cooling, etc.). In other cars, it's literally just a hitch that you bolt on and can be done at a dealer or anywhere else.

I can't tell from the Toyota website whether the it's the factory or the dealer type. I asked a salesperson and his incorrect answers on a few other questions about the Sienna make me doubt his knowledge.

Does anyone know for sure (this is for the US models) and is there a link or reference somewhere?

Thanks!
ROJA
Hi ROJA,
You should be aware that at least for my 2017 AWD only the LE model was considered light enough to be fitted with a hitch. Toyota deemed their more advanced models as being too heavy. They may have changed things in recent years but you should decide for sure what level of features are most imp to you.

·
Registered
2021 Sienna Platinum AWD; 2013 Subaru Outback Limited
42 Posts
Hi ROJA,
You should be aware that at least for my 2017 AWD only the LE model was considered light enough to be fitted with a hitch. Toyota deemed their more advanced models as being too heavy. They may have changed things in recent years but you should decide for sure what level of features are most imp to you.
@Riverman47 - My dealer had to remove the hitch from our on-order Platinum twice. Toyota kept putting it on. So good news, the higher level trims do support it.

We did not want Toyota to remove/disable rear kick sensor. We will put on an aftermarket hitch and brake controller, while keeping the rear kick sensor (or move it to the side if it cannot operate above the hitch).

·
Registered
Sienna XLE '04
16 Posts
Hi All!

Thanks!
ROJA
Sorry to be replying and posting all these long posts about the towing - but it's very distressing to me as well!
1. you don't need anything but the towing receiver - the long metal bar with the receiver the metal hitch with the ball goes into-which you can buy Anywhere This (receiver) also has the wiring harness and is set up, I think, for both 4 point or 7 point camper/lighting plug ins. My small camper has a 4-point plug and usually the 7 points are for bigger units... but it's nice just the same.
2. it is considered a Factory option, it's $840 (plus a small amount for the hitch and ball)
3. If they're hard to find in inventory, I wonder why dealers can't buy them from Toyota and install them As a Dealer installed option (like floor mats), and they would prob. make a decent profit on the $840 price. Can't believe dealer techs. don't know how to install one, even on a new model. People do it themselves on You-Tube videos, pre-2021 models.. but same idea.
4. I think that all of these issues: supply, dealers' lack of knowledge, availability from Toyota, is due to the 2021 being brand new.
5. I'm pretty sure that no aftermarket receivers are available yet for the 2021, all though I am researching that with my camper dealer.
6. After market Would be nice though because you could get a 2" receiver, which is more standard in the industry for lots of accessories like your bike rack and cargo boxes/trays etc. The Toyota one comes with (and always has) a 1 1/4" receiver. But I've towed my small pop-up camper for years with no problem, just have to make sure you buy the right size hitch/ball attachment (which Toyota also sells, separate price - $120 hitch, $20 ball ?) but you can get both sizes anywhere aftermarket, those don't depend on model year or manufacturer.
7. The reason they most likely only offer the 1 1/4" receiver and not the 2" is to prevent people from towing something bigger/over 3500#, that would probably be best suited for a 2".
8. I hope all of this helps, and my other posts too.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Sorry to be replying and posting all these long posts about the towing - but it's very distressing to me as well!
Yeah, stop it, LOL. Kidding.

As I've posted in other threads, Curt has a 2" receiver hitch for the 2021 Sienna. It can be bought from etrailer - currently for $161.25 - where I've bought a number of receiver hitches, electrical harnesses and lots of other stuff: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Toyota/Sienna/2021/C22UR.html?vehicleid=20212021121876

etrailer has wiring harness too for the 2021 Sienna. If you wait a few months and you'll probably see more choices in hitches and harnesses.

The reason Toyota supplies only 1 1/4 hitches for the Sienna has never been known Maybe they make more profit on them. They're certainly not doing customers any favors.

These receiver hitches are easy to install - I've done several myself with no assistance and installed the wiring harnesses too. The most important tool is a torque wrench. Jack stands and wheel blocks are advisable. Screw drivers and clip pullers too. Cutting shears are sometimes required.

The Toyota factory/port hitch receiver option for unit body vehicles have been coming with only 4-way trailer light harnesses for decades. There are a variety of adapters sold for converting 4-way to 7-pole.

There's lots of good information in the Towing and Hauling section of this forum.

If there's erroneous information in this post, I blame it on the cat that just ran across my keyboard.

·
Registered
Sienna XLE '04
16 Posts
to Geezer1 - I love it!! "Yeah, stop it, LOL. Kidding"
I just posted on the other thread about towing ("is the towing hitch a dealer added accessory....)
I should've just said, Don't Get Me Started!! :) Read (our) thread...
Mainly, here the news flash I've discerned.... Toyota has removed the $840 towing option from their official web page, under the section where you "Build" your own dream model - I wish.
I know it was there because that's how I confirmed all the prices (for myself). They still show the Trailer Ball and Trailer Ball Mount ($20 and $125) But that's it. It's gone. Such a mystery. I don't care if the kids are in their 20's and I"m going to be 60 this year and my old van has 248K on it - I must still be able to hit the open road with my 2006 Coleman pop-up camper...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts