Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can hear a noise coming from the pulleys in the first 5 minutes of starting my Sienna, it sounds like a bearing starting to go bad. Upon inspection, I also saw that the crankshaft pulley is wobbling (it wobbles more than the video lets on). No wobble in the other pulleys. I took the belt off and tried to pry the crankshaft pulley, there is no play in any direction, its tight and the rubber is still good.

It just seems like the pulley is bolted on off center, is that possible? Also, is that bad enough that I need to fix it?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Playing the video at 1/4 speed, it looks like the pulley itself has no wobble at all. The bolt and/or washer behind the bolt looks to be rotating off center, but that could just be just in relation the rust circle behind the washer. Was the timing belt recently replaced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i can feel the wobble with my fingers when its running, mostly on the inside part. I took the Pulley off and it came right out, did not need a puller at all, it just slides on the crank...is that normal?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Unless it was recently R&R'd, no.

Was the timing belt recently replaced?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless it was recently R&R'd, no.

Was the timing belt recently replaced?
There is no timing belt on the 3.5L engine, its a timing chain. Don't believe anyone would change it before it goes. Crank pulleys isnt slip on on this model?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Oh, sorry. I didn't realize it was 2GR-FE. Has the crank pulley ever been removed for a previous repair? The only thing I can think of is that someone took it off in the past, didn't tighten the bolt to spec, and over time the pulley ID has wallowed out. I imagine you could pick up a crank pulley at a scrap yard for $10. Might be worth it just to compare.

Consider putting your van's year, trim level, and general geographic location in your signature. It will make for more accurate responses to your posts.

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts
I've not looked to deeply into this, but I assume that the crankshaft pulley still serves as a harmonic balancer. If so, it's two pieces with a rubber interface. I haven't seen one fail in like forever, but it did happen to me on my Datsun 810 upteen years ago. It would screech on startup, and there was a barely noticeable wobble to it and some belt chaffing. Eventually it had to be replaced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts