Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I understand it, when cruising, the Sienna hybrid is operating on the 4 cylinder engine alone. Can a Sienna hybrid towing 3,000 pounds adequately handle hills and other challenging terrain when fully dependent on the four cylinder engine? I'd appreciate any feedback from those with towing experience using Toyota Sienna Hybrid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have some experience towing, and will offer my 2 cents worth. You can use the Sienna for "light towing", under 3000 pounds in areas which are somewhat flat. Hook on a 3000 pound trailer, then drive up the continental divide out of I70 near Vail, and you will likely make it but slow. Be aware that the size of radiators on new cars is drastically reduced..they used to be huge and held a lot of fluid. You see, radiators often get clogged where portions of it are blocked off and the efficiency is reduced. Towing a vehicle is especially hard on your cooling system and it needs to be "in top shape", with regular fluid changes. Or, you will start overheating and overheating tends to kill cars and engines. Dont even think of towing something heavy without a fresh radiator fluid change on one with over about 25,000 miles. Further, expect your Sienna to be somewhat overworked reducing its life span and decide if towing with a vehicle generally designed not to tow is worth it. Consider getting a full size truck for towing instead. "Short run" towing, should be okay as long as you heed what I already mentioned.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts