Toyota Sienna Forum - siennachat.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sienna LE "Clifford the Big Red Van"
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it common for Toyota hood to chip easily from pebble and rack salt impacts? Other cars I have owned do not shoe this tendency.

I have a Corolla from Florida, even when it was relatively new, 2 years, it had freckles all over the hood from tiny stone impacts.Now I have a 2008 Sienna that is similarly chipped all over the hood - dots everywhere.

·
Registered
2009 Sienna LE
50 Posts
What color is the Corolla? I remember several red Toyota vehicles having paint problems. I see your minivan is red too. It could be a coincidence. My brother had a dark green 2004 Camry that also looked pretty bad, whereas my sky blue 2005 Camry looks great. I think the difference there is that mine has spent most of its life in garage or shade, whereas his has been mostly in the sun. Are your cars mostly in sun or shade/garage?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both have mostly been in the sun. The corolla is 2002, I took it to the Northeast in 2006, it had zits even then. The 2008 purchased used was said to stored in the garage, but other conditions (totally rusted spare tire, faded plastic bumpers) indicate it was always outside
I still like both. The utterly dependable 2002 Corolla will go to the knackers bc it lost all brakes, corroded brake line mid vehicle. The 08 sienna will be our new/old minivan - missed vans for 7 yrs.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Both have mostly been in the sun. The corolla is 2002, I took it to the Northeast in 2006, it had zits even then. The 2008 purchased used was said to stored in the garage, but other conditions (totally rusted spare tire, faded plastic bumpers) indicate it was always outside
I still like both. The utterly dependable 2002 Corolla will go to the knackers bc it lost all brakes, corroded brake line mid vehicle. The 08 sienna will be our new/old minivan - missed vans for 7 yrs.
My 2006 Sienna spent its entire life (first owner was from MA; I'm in RI) in New England. The only thing on my hood is sunscreen from one time taking the kids to summer camp when I slathered up the littlest one (age 5) and then said, "Stay right there!" while I went to slather/spray the other two who ALWAYS gave me a hard time. I came back to find the littlest one sitting on the hood of the van, sunscreen streaked all into it. I got a car wash later that day, but the stain has never come off. Salt for 15 years, sand (in winter AND from the beach) for 15 years, uncovered dumps hauling fill on the highway in front of me now and then over 15 years. I wash it rarely and have never waxed, polished, or detailed it ever.

My guess is the previous owner of your cars had the body detailed semi-often, reducing paint thickness. Alternately, maybe you're just a highway rock magnet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is the previous owner of your cars had the body detailed semi-often, reducing paint thickness. Alternately, maybe you're just a highway rock magnet.
Thank you, that adds perspective. I like the story of your kid smearing sunscreen on paint. The replies have decided my plan: drive this 13 yo car a year and next summer decide if I want to spend $500-700 to have the front end repainted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts